Jan 9 surgery and getting worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jan 9 surgery and getting worried Jan 9 surgery and getting worried

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:22 PM
Jan 9 surgery and getting worried

I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on Jan. 9. I'm 47, have an enlarged uterus (20 week pregnancy size) and numberous fibroids inside and outside the uterus. The largest fibroid is the size of a navel orange. I also have a cyst on my ovary. Can you believe all of this, but I don't have painful complications, only heavy bleeding and some cramps during my period. :confuse:

I hope I am making the right decision to do this. I am already mourning the loss of my female organs, even though I don't need them any more. I have grown children and two grandchildren and a DH who will be right by my side.

I had breast cancer 14 years ago and had a radical mastectomy. I told my DH that I felt like I would not have much of my female anatomy left. He says I will always be the same to him!

This site has been wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:48 PM

I'm still a LIW myself but I have heard from SOOOOOOOOO many punctured princess' that they felt so much better afterwards, they wished they'd done it sooner!
I'm Jan too, but hopefully crossing the moat in the other direction on the 9th as you, lol!!
I think being physically drained from fibroids occurs so gradually you dont even notice it, you will feel so much better (so I'm told)
Sounds like your DH is a keeper and is absolutely right! You are still every bit the woman you always were and are!!
Good luck and
Unread 12-27-2001, 05:59 PM

Hello Browneyes!

Hmmm.... if you are not sure you are doing the right thing, perhaps you should take notice of that and get a second opinion. Don't rush into this if you're having second thoughts, just because you're on the schedule. This is permanent, irreversible surgery. If you're uneasy, stop and do some research. Be comfortable with your decision before you enter the hospital.

You DH sounds wonderfully supportive.

Regardless of what you decide, please know that we are here to listen, offer support, and share experience. Keep us posted, okay? I know you will do whatever you feel is right for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 06:23 PM

Hi Browneyes and all,
I too am a Jan 9! I actually called today to see if they can move it up cause I am in so much pain today and sooooo tired of all of this. I may have it done on 2 Jan instead.

I am mourning the loss I guess. I am not sure what I feel but that does explain it pretty good. But I do believe that our feminity comes from our hearts and our minds, not our uterus. I just think that after Jan 9 we will be happier, and more in control of our bodies where we can run it...not the other way around.

Good luck and God Bless.

Blondie
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:03 PM

I am Jan. 10th. Must be a good week for this, huh? I am getting scared. I am just dreading the first few hours out of anesthia, and in major pain, after that I feel like I can handle it. Good luck to you on the ninth and I will be right on your heels.

Amy
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:13 PM

If you really aren't sure, I agree that a second opinion might be a good idea.

But, just a thought from a sister who also had a very enlarged uterus, I realized after I was healed from my surgery how much misery that "oversized" uterus caused me. I had so much pressure in my lower belly by mid afternoon. I didn't even realize how bad it was until after I was fully recovered. I also had very heavy bleeding, so that was what I focused on more than the bloating and pain.

In my case, I actually feel more feminine now because I feel so much better. My hubby finds me just as attractive as before. It sounds like you also have a wonderful, supportive hubby.

My prayers will be with you.
Unread 12-28-2001, 02:56 AM

I personally think you have made a good decision and have the pre-surgery jitters. Surgery just isn't fun, as you know.

I did not have fibroids and bleeding, just a large cyst causing pressure. I only realized how much pressure and discomfort the cyst and the prolapse were causing after the surgery!

My MIL did have problems similar to yours and she recently told me "I was never so glad to be rid of anything in my life"

I am also a mom and a grandmother who happens to have been through having children for over 16 years. I felt a sense of loss as well, when I realized I would be without those parts. That feeling is just natural. When it comes, I remind myself that I won't be needing them anymore, anyway.

Be sure to keep us posted.
Unread 12-28-2001, 05:56 AM

Jan. is a big month for this. I'm going to the castle on 1/7. You certainly have been through the mill Browneyes but hopefully this will be the last of it for you and smooth sailing from here on out will ensue.

If you know in your heart you have made the right decision for you, based on the information you have, you have done what was needed. I have no other medicinal options. I tend to look at things very logically....when I run out of options I do what I need to do.

I had a surgeon call me the day before surgery to tell me the u.s. on my gall bladder looked perfect. I told him "too bad, I'll see you in the morning. I'll take my chances that this is the problem, and if not I'll deal with it then; but I can't continue to live like this". Sure enough, it was the problem and was on it's last legs anyway.

Take it easy and try not to stress out too much. We're all here for you and will be thinking of you and wishing you well.

Brenda
Unread 12-28-2001, 03:16 PM
Jan 9, too

Hello, I am scheduled for a TAH BSO the same day. No fibroids, I have Endometrial Hyperplasia and pre-cancerous cells on my pathology report from my D&C. I am 50, and am lucky enough that my uterus is small, so I will have a bikini cut or Pfannenstiel incision. Same incision 26 years ago for a C/Section. Hope all goes well for both of us! Can't wait for this to be over.
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:46 PM
Jan 9th too!

I can't wait til that date!! I can't say that I am not nervous, but all the bloating and discomfort that I am having is making me anixous to get it over with. I will be also having my gallbladder removed due to gallstones. I have some small fibroids and a enlarged uterus. I feel like I did when I was about 4 or 5 months pregnant. I am 38 and have a 13 yr old daughter and also a wonderful husband. I will be having a c-section cut because my uterus is so big. I sure hope all of this makes my stomach feel better. I know that it will be swollen after surgery, but hopefully it will go down after everything heals. I have never had a flat stomach, but it looks just like I am pregnant. And the last 2 months my periods have been off. This last month, I have been bleeding for about 35 days. Some heavy and some just a little. I don't have any energy to do anything. I am already off from work, I took some vacation days and then start my medical leave Jan 2nd. I just couldn't do it anymore. I do secretarial work and already have bad back problems to begin with. I have thought about not working at all, but I do enjoy my work and I think it helps me to have to go and get out of the house. But when I feel like I have been feeling(no energy and miserable from stomach) I just couldn't do it anymore. But I expect to go back when I am healed. I can be out for 12 weeks for medical leave, before my insurance is up. Hopefully, I will not have to use all of it. I have been planning on getting out and getting the things I need to take to the hospital and bigger clothes, but haven't even had the energy to do that. My great husband and mother did most of the Christmas shopping. I am so glad the holidays are over, that kind of stressed me out and I usually love the holidays.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register