30 hours and all my bravado is gone - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

30 hours and all my bravado is gone 30 hours and all my bravado is gone

Unread 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Re: 30 hours and all my bravado is gone

I go in at nine AM. I am funny, I don't want my husband there. All I would do is cry if he was. Sadly I am stronger on my own. He will come down as soon as I am out of recovery. I have tried to have him wait with me, but the water works just don't stop. I am sure I make him feel bad by sending him home. But I can't help it. I am getting so nervous. I hope you all are holding up as it draws near. I wish time would speed up just a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM

All prayers to you.
You can ask the anaesthesiologist for something. Be truthful, tell them you have anxiety and how you feel. I told mine upfront and he gave me something and I was in a happy land quickly and then the next thing I was waking up in recovery. God Bless.
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Ladies,

These are all normal feelings. Surgery is scary, especially THIS surgery. Being a nervous wreck is typical of most people. The doctors and nurses will take very good care of you - they don't want anything to happen to you either. Let them know of your concerns, and let them know any issues you have had with anesthesia in the past. According to my doc, the drugs have come a long way, and are better than before. But, they should know of any issues and concerns you have.

The medical staff will see you through this. And we are also here to support you. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2011, 09:54 PM

I work second shift, so I'm usually right back to bed after I get my teen off for school at 6:30 am. Today, I couldn't fall back to sleep. I went to bed last night at around 3:40 am. I ran around all day the day before, with my pre-op stuff scheduled very early (for me) at 9:15 in the morning and then so much to do.

I spent all day in tears today.

I have been waiting to be allowed this surgery for 7 years, and was so happy when the doc told me we were going for it. Today, I'm all anxiety!

I need to get my music straightened out on my mp3 player before I try to go to bed again. I'm not going to be in the mood for heavy metal or punk anthems after my surgery, I don't think! lol

Anyhow, I just meant to say, I feel ya, girl. Right there with you.

Good luck tomorrow! *hugs*
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:56 AM

I have to get up to go in four hours and I'm not remotely able to sleep.

The anesthesiologist did not call as promised. Not terribly surprised - you are always told they will call and they only very rarely do. If they wanted to work with conscious patients they wouldn't be anesthesiologists, LOL.

I'm not sure why the hospital and docs always claim they will call you, though. It makes it look like just one more thing going wrong in a long line of things going wrong and it doesn't exactly foster confidence.

There will be no time for him to listen to me in the morning and I doubt he's terribly interested in anything I have to say, so my anxiety levels are just going sky high.

I'm making myself crazy. And now I've convinced myself that if I try to force myself to sleep I'll sleep through the alarm.

egads I'm a basketcase. Before all of this started I actually used to be a fairly nice and practical person. Now I'm a lunatic.

my brain is spinning and spinning, thinking about things that are completely irrelevant.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave for a few minutes
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:11 AM

Not long now - and it will all be over, and you will have had a REALLY deep sleep . Then waking up in recovery you will realise how groundless your fears were... and somehow you've lost some hours somewhere.

I was terrified of my surgery - my first ever. I am a kind of skinny person, and MY fear was that they would misjudge the amount of anesthetic and kill me with an overdose.
They didn't!!
Good luck, and God bless, and we'll see you on the other side when you are up to posting!
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:44 AM

I got 1 hour sleep and didn't crave a cigarrette when i woke up from surgery till next day after they were 2 hours late with my meds, they gave me a patch and my meds. the ride home was the worst for me. I couldn't sit still and talked jibberish. Make sure you are solid with meds when you wake from surgery as mine was not and it resulted in a bad pain for nearly 12 hours till 2nd shift came on. I threatened to go home, call the news station. They figured it out. As long as I take my medication I'm fine but do not be late taking it. You will be fine. I was surprised I didn't want to smoke. If you need the patch ask. It's better then nothing sometimes. Wishing Good thoughts your way.
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:45 AM

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 26th and I am a total wreck all ready. I haven't slept in 4 days, I am constantly nauseous, panicked and mean as a rattle snake. Both of my care providers are sick with the flu and I am just freaking out that they will make me sick either right before my surgery or god forbid I'll wake up after with the flu and cough my stitches right out.

I'm also trying to cut out my caffeine intake so I don't give myself a wicked migraine the day of the surgery, and switching from normal cigarets to Electronic Vaporizor style ciggies.

I have had smaller surgeries in the past (spinal for a ruptured disc, gallbladder, kidney stones etc) and I was never afraid before them. I just can't seem to get past this huge fear in the pit of my stomach with this surgery approaching. Maybe its because I am now 15 years older and majorly over weight compared to my last surgery.
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Alarm set to go off in ....its going off now. I'm so hungry and nervous. I know this is a normal feeling though. Gotta pack a couple more things then time to leave at about 930....
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM

you'l bee great, kayla. Talk to you doctor about switching to ecigs - I told mine I intended to do that only a few days before and she said that stopping that close to surgery could also create problems.

I do have an ecig to smuggle in to the hospital, though, for after! LOL

This is about my sixth? surgery? I've gotten progressively more nervous because the anesthesia gets harder and harder

OK I leave in about 15 minutes. Thank you ALL for holding my hand this last night - it's been a huge blessing to me.

Look for me over the wall in a few days when I get home. Kayla - especially you, since we have so much in common. Seeing me do well might encourage you and help you feel better!

best to all,

kay_rock

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register