A very uneventful PreOp | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A very uneventful PreOp A very uneventful PreOp

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:43 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

I went for my preop today and it was surprisingly fast!
I know when I went for my preop a few months back for gallbladder surgery I had to have a chest xray, bloodwork, EKG, watch a stupid little video, meet the anesthetist, yada yada.
Today I met with the nurse and discussed only not eating from midnight, and the fact that it wont bother me being near a maternity ward. I met with the anesthetist who I told I hated morphine and don't like so he is making sure I have demerol instead and gravol. He said I was his healthiest patiend he'd seen that day.Other than that, I had no bloodwork, no xrays or any other preop instructions! I'm quite surprized actually.
Did anyone here get any specific preop instructions. I for one am gong to take it upon myself to make sure my bowels are cleaned out before hand. But did anyone have to have any type of shave prep? Mine will be a bikini line incision, so I may do a little prepping even if I wasnt told to. Am I missing anything do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:51 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

Hi Mj!

Your pre-op sounds alot like mine. Pretty uneventful. However, I might re-check about the bowel prep; they may have specific reasons for you to NOT do one.

I can't think of anything you're missing, so long as you understand the few instructions you've been given. I received a call from a nurse from the hospital the day before my surgery, and she went over several things with me, so I asked her alot of my questions at that time, too.

There are some great ideas on the home menu, in the Pull-Down menus, under Ladies In Waiting - for questions to ask, items to bring to the castle with you, etc., that I found extremely helpful.

Best Wishes! It won't be long now!
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:27 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

IMHO, it isn't a good idea to do any "prep" on your own that the MD doesn't order. My only instructions were not to eat or drink anything after midnight. I don't think I would do any shaving on my own either.

As always, if you have any questions regarding the instructions given at your pre-op, call your doctor!!

Best of luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:36 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

Your pre-op sounds very similar to how mine went yesterday, except that I got even less info! Basically, I met with my doctor for about 5 minutes, asked a few questions, and that was it. No bloodwork, not even a call from anyone at the hospital today (my surgery is at 8:00 am tomorrow). My only pre-op instruction was no eating after midnight tonight.

Anyway, I don't think you're missing anything. I'm also getting a bikini incision (again), so I took it upon myself to shave the area tonight. I've had 3 c-sections and always thought the nurses did a sloppy job beforehand, so I decided to do it myself this time, lol.

Kristine
TAH 12/28 (tomorrow!)
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:07 AM
A very uneventful PreOp

I go for my pre-op on the 3rd but I got a call from the hospital yesterday asking if I could come in next Friday (surgery the 7th) to watch a video and type-cross match bloodwork. I'm watching the video at the MD's office on the 3rd so they'll draw the blood the morning of the surgery.

As I really don't know what to expect, I'll let you know what mine entailed.

Brenda
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:24 AM
A very uneventful PreOp

LOL, I can just imagine what the film is on hysterectomies. The one on the gallbladder showed the woman shopping at the mall later the same day. My coworker saw the same one when she had hers out, we have a good time making fun of it.
Unread 12-28-2001, 11:41 AM
A very uneventful PreOp

Hi MJ!

I am one of your Jan. 7th Sisters.

I went and did my bloodwork yesterday. Oh...I had to pee in a cup too. I am done with pre-op stuff until 12 hours prior to my surgery, I will have to do an enema. I am having my surgery 80 miles from home in Reno, NV. We will be staying the night there, since I have to be at the hospital at 7:30 in the morning. My hubby had his heart set on a buffet. I don't think it would be wise for me to go there...that could make for a real interesting night with the enema. YUCK! Not looking forward to that part but will make it through.

Take care & best of luck to you! Have a wonderul trip to the castle.
Unread 12-28-2001, 12:36 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

the reason I was thinking of taking it upon myself to do a bowel prep the day before is the fact that I mentioned it to the at my last appt. a couple wks ago and he said it would be a good idea, especially with all the iron I've been taking
He just forgot to order what I should take, but I already know what works for me so I can avoid the good old wax bullet or enema!
The emptier my stomache, bowel and bladder the better I think!
Nice to meet so many Jan sisters out there. I really really really wanted June to get the summer off, but now I know there is no way I could make it with these heavy heavy periods.
Unread 12-28-2001, 12:48 PM
A very uneventful PreOp

PLEASE call the doctor's office first! Maybe he forgot, maybe he thought of a reason why you shouldn't. Don't do the prep unless you make the call!
Unread 12-28-2001, 03:24 PM
Ask your doctor

I went to hospital 1 day pre op and my bowels immediately shut down (not my own toilet - too shy to move). The morning of the op I mentioned to nursing staff my bowels had not worked for over 24 hours and did I need an enema. Nursing staff said it was not necessary, but I could have one if I wanted. I chose not to. It did not effect me not having one anyway, so I'm glad I didn't.

Shaving - I didn't even have time to think about this before I went to hospital. I also had a bikini line cut. Just prior to my surgical shower a nurse came in with a little battery operated razor and trimmed the hair rather than shave it all off. This worked out really well as I am now 17 days post op and haven't had any itching. I honestly had not given my pubes a thought, but obviously if they need to be shaved, the medical team will ensure they are before you go to surgery.

Once again - contact and ask the doctor.

Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery

Regards

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register