home alone post-op? think sadly so! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

home alone post-op? think sadly so! home alone post-op? think sadly so!

Unread 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM
home alone post-op? think sadly so!

I guess my biggest concerns have been pain post op, i have left it to my des discretion to take my polycyctic ovaries. Which makes me a bit concerned about menopause as well. But a new concern pops up as i read through the posts and share with my friends. Coming home to a empty apartment after surgery. I am single, unmarried, no kids, and have no living parents. My siblinga and me have the occassional contact, but close by the farthest streach of the imagination. I haven't even dared to think to ask someone to nurse me a bit, since hopefully it is soon, and Christmas time. Everyone gas time off they have been waiting to spend.with family. Any of you come home.alone post op? How did that go? Am i setting myself up for a world of pain, in isolatation? You can recover with just you and your cat, right? Right?

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Re: home alone post-op? think sadly so!

You've come to the right place. Several of the sisters have been on their own. If you do a search you'll find the threads. Make yourself a list of everything you need. Put lots of provisions in the cupboard and freezer. Make yourself a nest where you will be comfortable. Be prepared to take it easy and rest. Best of luck to you!
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM

I had LSH and could have managed ok with planning. Make sure everything you need is at a good height so you don't have to bend or stretch too much. Make sure you've got food for a couple weeks, easy to prepare stuff. Get a grabber to pick up anything that you drop. Put the cat box, food, and bowl up on something so you can reach it.

If you can have someone pop in and see if you need stuff that would make it a lot easier. Usually the driving restriction is 2 weeks or so and you might need stuff. Also, you probably won't be able to walk for for a while so I wouldn't count on walking to a store unless it's next door.

It seems many people manage just fine, I'm sure you will too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM

I never thought to have a "grabbed" or to put Jade litterbox, food, and water up higher. I may be inviting him on the kitchen table forever. but i am glad you mentioned it. I asked a friend today if she thought it would be rude of me to ask if some friends would help with freezers meals. My friends have freezers meal seals and most of them have meals in freezers on hand. Though she thought i should ask the deaconesses, as they bring already made meals. I am one who would rather to be able to do this on my own. But realizing that might be my biggglest mistake. Or i could live off delivery and ice cream!
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM

The pain is very manageable so don't worry. Just take your meds they give you before you start really hurting. Do you have someone who is bringing you home from the hospital? Just remember the more you rest the faster you're going to get better. Find a great book to get involved in and take short walks around your home. I love the idea of a grabber! I wish I had one. I am 11 days post-opt and feeling so much better. Have everything between your waist level and eye level to reach. I moved all my personal items on a shelf I emptied before I went into the hospital. Have lots of pillows and a small one to keep around your tummy in case you sneeze, cough or laugh. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Hugs!!!!!
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Thankfully i got a kindle fire (mainly to take my books n movies to Africa and not compromise weight n space in luggage!) But i see it will be handy long before my short stint and then move! I am feeling more confident i can do this, with perhaps some delivered meals. It is a bit of a relief feeling prepared. (The post op pain scares me still!!)

Tina
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Hi
I am married but my husband travels for a living, so after the first day, it was just me and my dog. The pain was very manageable and I could even bend down to feed him quite comfortably. I made sure the kitchen was stocked, clean sheets were on the bed and so forth. I did leave myself several things to do - like small loads of laundry, puzzles, and had my kindle and netflix. It was very managable. I have had wonderful conversations with women on this site, whenever I was unsure about how I was progressing or what I was feeling - including the plunge into menopause.

Hugs.
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Kc, did you have your ovaries removed? I keep going back n forth on that. We decided in my spot that he could make that decision in surgery. I have polycyctic ovaries for years. But he told me i would still get cycts and have the pain probably of those cycts bursting. One day i wanna keep em, the next I'm sure at my pre-op to tell him to just take em. That concerns me, cause i am not certian. And once there gone, there gone.
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I did have them removed. I had a large cyst on one, and I am 54 years old, so those were the determining factors. That said, I still found that I needed hormone therapy. Depending on your age - that will probably be a factor for you as our ovaries have a LOT to say about how we feel on a daily basis.

Hugs.
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM

I'm 31, but when i was 22 started birth control to hopefully reduce the bursting cycts. I know its my choice, but i feel i have to pick menopause or continued polycyctic ovaries (aka cycts bursting every once inawhile like a random knife stab outran nowhere!) Who can decide. I have no idea what menopause is like but do know the sudden pain of a cyct bursting. Its a hard decision!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register