home alone post-op? think sadly so! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

home alone post-op? think sadly so! home alone post-op? think sadly so!

Unread 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Re: home alone post-op? think sadly so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoTheLeast View Post
I'm 31, but when i was 22 started birth control to hopefully reduce the bursting cycts. I know its my choice, but i feel i have to pick menopause or continued polycyctic ovaries (aka cycts bursting every once inawhile like a random knife stab outran nowhere!) Who can decide. I have no idea what menopause is like but do know the sudden pain of a cyct bursting. Its a hard decision!!
You are so incredibly young and menopause can be quite horrible. At 54, I had severe insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes, heart racing, crying for no reason and migraines. This is not to say that you would experience this - but I suggest you go to the threads here around hormone therapy and you will see it is very difficult to get regulated- particularly when you are young.

Just one opinion here - if you dont have ovarian cancer and are not at risk for it - keep your ovaries. You have 20 plus years to menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:13 PM

I live alone - with cat - and no one stayed with me at any point after I came home. I had a TAH - with ovaries, cervix, tubes removed, with a loooong vertical incision. I did have 5 days in hospital which is the norm here for a TAH, and I think that was really helpful for me.
I had made plans with food, rejigging the house so that I could reach everything easily. My pantry was stocked also. I thought of pretty much everything I might want for weeks in terms of supplies.
I got a grabber/reacher and that helped a lot - I could pick up my cat's dish with that.
I put my cat in a cattery from the time I went into hospital till 3 days after I came home, to give myself a chance to find my feet and rest a bit more easily.
I did have to depend on my brother who lives close by to pick me up from the hospital and take me to collect my cat. He checked on me at least by phone every day. I had help with housework - that is, vacuuming, changing sheets. My sister helped with that (from out of town, but staying with her son and family) for 10 days but after that I did manage to do a lot of things - without doing anything I shouldn't.
If you can't get any housework help, just leave it!
if you are used to being independent, and have made good plans, I think you will be OK!
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM

I also have PCOS so I know the constant pain of cysts and the pain of them bursting. I have also done Lupron which put me in temporary menopause. To me the menopause symptoms were much preferable to the cysts that caused me pain more days of the month than not. It's a very personal decision though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Hi Sisters, I am three weeks post op. I had my ovaries removed due to Endometriosis. So far, so good. I'm not on any HRT yet, but hope to use the patch when/if I need it. I am having some hot flashes, but not too bad. I had terrible ones before surgery. My whole reason for surgery was to alleviate the pain my ovaries, uterus and cervix were causing and because it was due to Endometriosis I had no choice when it came to removal of the ovaries. I don't regret it. I feel so much better already. I know there are serious concerns for women who lose their ovaries, but I feel I will have a better quality of life. I had so much pain, I was ill for 3 weeks every month, heavy bleeding, hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, migraines, bloating and constipation, back and leg pain...the list goes on. When trying to decide what to do, I couldn't imagine that giving up my ovaries could be worse than how I already felt. At least there was a chance for a change and a treatment: HRT. Plus, menopause symptoms eventually get better, Endometriosis and other diseases of the ovaries may not and in my case if it did, it could be many years in the future. It had also spread to my colon, causing me to have terrible health issues. I am 30 and couldn't stand another 30 like the last. If you haven't yet, you might want to check out the poll on this topic. There is a poll on this site, women explain about whether they had a choice in this matter or not. I found it informative.
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM

I had a TAH and although I was not alone, I was able to do everything on my own. Be sure to be properly prepared and I would reccomend having at least 1 person that you check in with every few hours, preferably more than one person so that if you do need help and are unable to reach a phone there are people who know to check on you in the event they do not hear from you. Be very careful that you do not fall. My balance was not great. Also, I would put a chair next to the bed to aid in getting in and out of bed. I wish you the best and just remember not to lift on anything. Put milk and other heavy things in smaller containers that you can easily handle. Hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:16 AM

This site has been invaluable! Who can you talk to and get experience from but those in it!!! If i hear someone us having a Hester, so telling em about this site.

I have had POCS for almost ten years. The birth control helped the symptoms about 20%. But then now life is unbearable. End of Aug (thankfully after i returned from Rwanda and Ethiopia!) My period started. Lasted five weeks with miserable miserable pain, vomiting, and Anemia. (Jet lag + anemia, ugh!) To name a few! I called the Dr when it was still heavy and.miserable and had been 3 weeks. All the lovely tests, diagnosed with endometrosis. Now my period started again. It will have been on for 7 weeks tomorrow. i have been miserable and missing my life! I'm just weak, tired, hurting, frustrated, bloated, vomiting, waking up from pain. And it wont stop!

I have seen 4 (does the ER doc count? I added him thouh in ky tally total!)Drs and the consensus is, four options

1. Do nothing, keep having iron injections, and take pain mess. (We've tried.everything, and obvious this is crazy worse and worse!) But my iron sucks with my.constant period!

2. This other procedure where they destroy the lining of the.uterous. does nothing for PCOS and issues I'm having now can return. (For someone planning a move to a third world country, this option, not a option. I have medical care available and.I'm.here, long term solutions only please!)

3. Partial hyster

4. Full hyster

But with all that said. I like i said cant decide!! I also have to consider HRT in a third world country. My Dr assured me it can be shipped to me there. But also the place is corrupt. Orphans packages stolen all the time for candy or clothes. I'm sure i can get it, but I'm sure it will be lots of trail and error also. There is so much to consider in this. And its all a no.garentee. everyones story is different and i cant choose how it will all turn out. (Will i be one wig terrible menopause? Will the PCOS be worse?) On and on.

The home alone.thing seems more and more doable. I love to quilt, so i am going to make myself a.small pillow with this beautiful pink parsley fabric and put a pocket on it to fit my ice packs. i have to get the house cleaned. Its.terrible! I try everyday to force myself to work and other commitments (AWANA leader, teach Sunday school, Bible study) but also more than not, don't make it through the day. Come home, drop my stuff and.curl up on the couch in a.ball. my couch is already set up, with a perminent bucket to vomit in beside it. (I guess the prolonged bleeding isbmaking my muscle contract, cause your body doesn't want to bleed that long and heavy, so the.muscle spazzing is probably what makes me vomit with he menstural cramps) i can live off delivery and litterly i walk out my door, across the street, and there is the store. I have had slot of friends in my church tell me to call them if i need anything. Perhaps start a "on call" list to help in case i need anything.

I cant wait for.it to be done though. I know there is post op pain (which scares me senseless!) And recovery. But i know.this has a end in sight. My constant pain and never ending bleeding, seems to have no relief in sight.

Thanks again girls!!

I seriously appreciate it!

Tina
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Wow Tina,
I'm giving you a big cyber hug right now. I think after your surgery you are going to feel so much better!!!! After all you've been through, you will be like me and say "why didn't I do this earlier????". I am 12 days post opt and feeling good. I'm not at 100% but every day gets closer and closer. By staying on the pain meds I really only felt discomfort at my insesions. I was off of them and on regular Motrin 5 days after my surgery. I know we all heal differently but wanted to tell you I was VERY nervous about the surgery but it ended up being a very positive experience. Just remember to rest, rest, rest afterwards. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing. This site has been a Godsend for me.
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Tina, I am so sorry to hear about all your suffering. I, too, had Endometriosis. There are some things you need to discuss with your Dr. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (ovaries & fallopian tube removal) because my Dr. Told me that if he left anything the endometriosis could come back. I already had menopausal symptoms including night sweats, panic attacks, headaches, hot flashes as well as the vomiting, constipation, heavy bleeding, back and leg pain and severe abdominal pain. I am almost 4 weeks post op and am not on any HRT yet and am doing well. I had PMS so much worse than the recovery from this surgery. If you do decide to use HRT maybe you could get your Dr. to write your prescription for 6 months or a year worth of HRT. If you have the means to come back to the country you are from (US I assume) maybe you could take the HRT back with you once you find what works. The only danger is that the Estrogen can cause endometriosis to return if the surgeon missed any during the operation. Mine had spread to my colon. You can have other procedures, but those may only help for a little while until you need another surgery. These were the things I weighed before my surgery. I am 30 and could not stand anymore. My quality of life was being taken from me. There are health risks to this surgery that you need to look into. There are studies that show that women who have their ovaries removed have more risk of heart disease, ostioperosis, and dementia. I weighed those risks and took my chances at a pain free life. Also, you are at a higher risk of breast cancer with HRT so keep a close check on your breast health if you decide to use HRT. You can get a free booklet from this website that I found extremely helpful and informative, it is free and I would recommend that you order and take a look at it. It will help you have some idea what to expect. I did really well with my surgery and am so glad that I had it. Last week would have been my period and knowing that was never going to happen again was enough to make me feel so relieved. Unfortunately, this is something only you can decide and I wish you all the best. If you decide to have the surgery, look into my thread about intrathecal injection, it is also something to talk to your Dr. about.
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Hugs.
Try to stay in the hospital a day longer.
Have everything ready for your return.
Call friends to bring you lunch or dinner each day.
Have a schedule....one friend a day.
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM

I had everything removed due to endo also. Dr. said no way for hormones as it will make the endo still thrive-we will still have endo even though all removed.

Call your insurance company ahead of time and ask about having a nurse visit daily the first week-tell them you are all alone.

My church has been a blessing-making meals three times a week and delivering them.

Reach out now, ahead of time-know that someone is coming each day, or who you can really call and get to come over.

Buy EVERTHING you can think of-7 up and crackers (just in case) water bottles, you need lots of water, and like other said, stay in hospital as long as possible-tell your dr ahead of time you are going it all alone and how long can you stay please.

Come to here to vent, talk, keep you company.

((hugs)) and best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register