Ua for job and legal pain meds...how to tell | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ua for job and legal pain meds...how to tell Ua for job and legal pain meds...how to tell

Unread 12-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Ua for job and legal pain meds...how to tell

I am 12 weeks post op and as you all know I have been in and out of er and gyns for ongoing pain still. I was in er just few days ago and at docs, I am still dealing with bad pain where i have to take narcs. I usually take meds at night at bed time when I can or in early evening. If on bad day I have to take during day when I am home and know I dont have to drive or do anything.
I have a third interview tommarow, and or for any job requiring a drug test how do I tell them I am on legal meds and or that it wont interfere with job? And when do I tell them?

There was a question on the application that asked if I was on any kind of legal medication that would interfere with my job. I marked no, as because IT wont interfere AS i WILL NOT BE TAKING IT ON JOB.
Was that the right thing to do? How do I tell them if they hire me and all?
Advice please.
Oh and do i tell them that I have ongoing issue with a medical problem, incase I ever am not able to make it to work? How do I do that? And wont that decreae my chance of getting hired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Re: Ua for job and legal pain meds...how to tell

As long as you have a prescription for pain meds, it will not affect what the drug testing place reports to your job. If anything shows up on the test, they will call you and ask for your doctor's name and pharmacy.

I was worried about this many years ago as I had been on pain meds for a long time. When the job called to say "oops, we forgot we need you to take a drug test" I panicked and quit taking everything. I was in alot of pain. I than thought to myself "this is stupid, let me call the testing place and ask some questions." So I did. And what they told me is the above.

What is interesting about my results is that I was on a fentanyl patch and darvocet n100. The morpheine didn't show up, but the darvocet did even though I had not taken it for 3 days.

BTW, I got the job and have been working there almost 8 years now.
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:18 PM

SO do I tell the ua place when i get there and show them my bottle that i am on pain meds?

And do and or should I tell the vet office that I am on pain meds before I take a ua?
Also, do I tell them I have a continuing problem with a disease and pain? Cant I get fired if I dont and I have to take a day off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM

We cannot advise you about whether or not you can get fired, or are obligated to tell them about your medical issues. You would need to consult an employment lawyer for that. The laws can vary by state and we would hate to give you advice that was incorrect and have you rely on it - plus, that is not in the spirit of the 'woman to woman support' offered by this site.

If you are afraid that you will miss work because of ongoing health issues, I question whether this is the right time for you to be accepting employment. Perhaps it would be best to fix whatever is hurting you first.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM

You do not need to let your employer know of any prescription meds you are taking. If you are taking meds for legitmate pain reasons they should not affect your functioning. If they are, perhaps you don't really need the meds. I was on pain meds for close to 15 years. And I was a pain patch for over 10.

As for telling them you have ongoing issues, that is up to you. If you feel you are going to need days off due to pain IMHO it is unfair for you to take the job. Perhaps you are getting ahead of yourself and overthinking things. If you are already setting yourself to having to take days off, maybe the job is not the right fit for you.

That said; I/we cannot tell you what to do. That is your decision. We are not walking in your shoes. While you talk about your pain, we do not know exactly what the issues are. Ultimately it is your decision.
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Well, I know I am taking pain meds for legitimate reasons. Im not abusing them. Especially when I am only taking when needed and I take a half a pill to fourth at a time or up to whole if needed. They do not really effect me at all..I am able to function on them and have pain relief. Sometimes like last week I was on pain meds and still in pain.
Thanks for the advice.
So who is it that I tell I am on pain meds then, I am sure the employer will know I am on pain meds once the ua comes back positive. ?
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissStarlett View Post
Well, I know I am taking pain meds for legitimate reasons. Im not abusing them. Especially when I am only taking when needed and I take a half a pill to fourth at a time or up to whole if needed. They do not really effect me at all..I am able to function on them and have pain relief. Sometimes like last week I was on pain meds and still in pain.
Thanks for the advice.
So who is it that I tell I am on pain meds then, I am sure the employer will know I am on pain meds once the ua comes back positive. ?
Did you not read my reply? If you are on prescription meds and your drug test comes back positive, the testing place will call you and ask you for your doctor's name, your pharmacy and prescription number. If all those check out, they will report to the employer that you checked out okay.

I do question working as a Vet Tech while on prescription meds though. I noticed on your profile that you are a dental assistant. I am curious how you are now going to be a Vet Tech?
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM

I used to order the drug tests for a company I worked for. When you go to take the test, the tester will ask you questions including what drugs, OTC and prescription, you are taking. Ultimately, they may ask you for proof you have a prescription. I would think that if you had the bottle with you that would help.

The testing company only tells the employer pass or fail, we never would get any other details.

Most vet offices are small. I have worked for small companies and they really feel the impact when an employee is taking off a lot of days. If you think your health conditions are going to cause you to take a lot of days off then you may need to rethink whether you should be working. If the company is small enough to be exempt from FMLA then missing a lot of days will cause you to be terminated because they just can't afford to not have you be there and there is no law to prevent that.
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM

I do have certificates as a Dental Assistant, but I have been out of work for a year in two weeks, and now that I had my surgeries I need get back to work. And bad.
I am not going to work as a vet tech, I am going for a receptionist position there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register