Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is... Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is...

Unread 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is...

I am 40 years old and was trying to come to terms with never having been able to concieve. I was having issues with heavy periods & had become anemic (to the point of having 2 blood transfusions on 31AUG2011). My gyn (at the time) put me on hormone replacement therapy & iron which I thought would kill me. After almost a month, I had my primary Dr refer me to someone else. I then saw another Dr on a Tuesday & had a sonar done the following Thursday. The sonar showed an 7.7cm emdometrial cyst on my left ovary, an 11.7cm "uncommon mass" on my right ovary, endometriosis (which was staged at stage 4), and fibroid tumors. I was sent from his office to a Gynecological Oncologist because they thought they "uncommon mass" might be cancer and because there were so many things wrong. I had a complete hysterectomy the following Tuesday on 27SEP2011. It was such a whirlwind, I didn't really have time for everything to sink in. The endometriosis had attached itself to my colon so he had to do a repair on it, but 2 weeks after surgery, on 11OCT2011, I had to have another procedure where they "clipped" the damaged area so it would hopefully heal. So far so good with that repair. If it were to fail I'd have to have another major surgery with a temporary colostomy bag until it healed completely. Praying that does not happen!

Sorry for such a long story, but was saying all that to say, this has been by far the most difficult thing I've ever been through. I had never had any time of surgery before so this one was a doozy to start with.

I've really had a hard time dealing with the finality of the fact that I now know that I will never bear a child. I guess even though I am 40, I had held out hope that it might still happen. Aside from my periods having become heavy, I had absolutely no idea that anything was wrong with me. I am very blessed to have not had cancer, so I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself. All of the changes are frightening. Hot flashes, sensitivity, mood swings, etc. Thank goodness the swelling is finally going down though.

Is there anyone else on here that was unable to have a child & then had to have a hysterectomy? I would love to have someone to talk to about these feelings. Although I can imagine it is difficult for any woman who may wish to have more children, it's a different feeling for someone who never got to experience pregnancy, childbirth, and the love of a child of your own.

My Dr has now prescribed hormones, but I've been scared to take them so far because of all of the possible side effects. I've had them for a week. I think I'm going to start taking them this weekend and see how that goes.

Thank you so much for having a site like this. It was recommended to me by the friend of a friend in a similar situation. She speaks very highly of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Re: Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is...

I'm in the same situation as you. 29, no children, had everything removed on the 9th. You said your Dr. gave you HRT, have you researched taking HRT with endometriosis? It might be something to look into. My Dr. is having me wait at least 3 months, preferably 6, before I start taking HRT. The theory is that any endo that might have been missed will have time to "dry up" since estrogen feeds it.
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Re: Looking forward to finding people that understand how difficult this is...

My Dr said the same thing yours did about HRT, & for the same reasons. (That's good to hear that they're in agreement.) I had my surgery back on 27SEP, so it's been awhile. I had NO problem waiting because I did not want to risk the endo coming back! I'm still scared to take them for so many reasons. So I've had them for a week, but haven't started taking them yet. When your waiting period is over, do you plan to take them? How are you feeling?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register