Surgery fear it is really going to happen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery fear it is  really going to happen Surgery fear it is really going to happen

Unread 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Surgery fear it is really going to happen

I thought Yesterday was a reality check when the Hospital admitting office and the surgical nurse called. Today it became more real went for my Pre op blood work, had blood drawn and they put my hospital band on. Nice, and to add to my worries the person drawing the blood says don't remove or lose this or your surgery will be cancelled, thanks just what I needed another thing on my mind. Have to b at the hospital at 5 a.m.on December 27th. It becomes more real every moment now. I really hate needles and the fact I will be asleep does not help because it is giving up control. Why I would be a lousy drug addict or drunk I like to be aware. Is any one else feeling this angst about the day comming closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Re: Surgery fear it is really going to happen

Oh sweetie hugs are going out to you! Sorry your so nervous, but it is very normal. As I read your post It sounded just the way I felt when I had to have my TAH. I don't like to be out of it with meds either. When I woke up in recovery I wasn't nervous though. I was tired, and when I had pain I told the nurse, and she gave me pain meds. then I was out again. That's how it was for me the whole day. The next morning they took out my catheter and I was able to begin to walk, and I ate a little along, as I was very nausea's.

The anesthesiologist may give you a sedative to relax you before they take you to the or. I thought this would make me nervous too. NOT! I started to laugh uncontrollably. And I've never been one to like feeling out of it, but I couldn't help but laugh. my dh has me video from his phone. I look like a total goof! lol Please try and relax I promise you will be fine, and the meds will relax you. Take care and good luck. I'm having another surgery Dec. 30th and I have butterflies now, but not as bad as I did with my first surgery....it's because I know what to expect. Good Luck!!! If you'd like to stay in contact through I'm here don't hesitate....
Unread 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM

My day is on the 27th too...I am having DaVinci. I have to be at the hospital at 1pm. cant eat after 5am...so sleep in, or wake up and eat early...I vote sleep in, so no food after misnight...oh well I will be tooo nervous to eat. I also had pre op today. And I too HATE needles...here I am in pre op about to get my blood drawn, my husband holding my hand said I was shaking like a leaf, and I sit there trying to be brave...crying =(. For me the IV is the worst of this entire thing..I dont think anyone understands my fear of needles.....anyhow 4 days for us friend, and this will be all over with and off to recovery =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Feeling angst, fear, and nervousness is very normal. Having surgery is scary, and I think THIS surgery is particularly scary.

You turn yourself over to a group of people, they give you powerful drugs that render you unconscious for your major surgery. Of course you are unnerved - who wouldn't be!

The doctors and nurses will take very good care of you. They know you are nervous and will help you relax. Keep in mind that they have done this numerous times and are well trained professionals. They will see you through this.

We are here to support you. Many women on this site were where you are now. Take a deep breath, and know that you are not alone. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:28 PM

I totally feel your nerves-I was just like you a week ago, and here I am!
I honestly can say the pre-surgery jitters were worse than the surgery or recovery! If I only knew that then. If I could go back and do anything over again, I'd call my Dr. and tell the nurse how full of anxiety I was and that I really needed something to calm me down and just swallow whatever to make the waiting easier.

I just had davinci-go over and read the post op posts and you will see how amazingly well we are all doing.

((HUGS)) to you and everyone who is a lady in waiting.

Unread 12-23-2011, 10:33 PM

We will each others hands then I will be thinking about you. I have to be there at 5 a.m my surgery is at 7 a.m Good Luck to you.
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Thanks Ladies for all your support. I am off to work at this hour it keeps my mind off of things. I am even going to try to work monday before I begin prep, its going to be hard for me monday as I am a food grazer, I bought myself all types of drinks I can have and will watch TV and snooze until the potions kick in from the prep. I will be in contact with you all as soon as I can get back to a phone or computer
Unread 12-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Hello dear Sisters, I too am having a hysterectomy on Dec. 27th! I was a nervous wreck until I did some things that made ALL the difference:

1. Asked friends and family for prayer, it works more than anything else!
2. Skimmed through "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster: A Guide Of Mind-Body Techniques" by Peggy Huddleston (I did this in a few hours while treating myself to a spa pedicure)
3. Started listening and falling asleep to the guided imagery CD that goes with the above book. WONDERFUL to help you prepare for a peaceful experience and take away the fear! I am also listening to Steven Halpern CD's for healing and pain relief that have subliminal messages and very soothing music. I play them all day and night and light candles, smell calming lavender aromatherapy, and keep things very peaceful around me.
4. Treating myself to massages. I did two this week already, going for a third today and one final one the day before surgery if I can get an appt. We don't really have the budget for it but I am going to Massage Envy where it is very reasonable and it is an investment in my health and recovery. A relaxed body is going to be easier to operate on and better at recovery, too.
5. Wrote letters to my family. Just-in-case, goodbye letters of love and hope for them. Telling them how grateful I am for them and what they have meant to me, what my desire is for them if I am gone, including a favorite scripture verse for everyone (Psalm 91:4) and specific songs dedicated to each person. (Like Celine Dion's "I'm Everything I am Because You Loved Me") This was extremely cathartic and has given me such a peace and renewed appreciation for my loved ones and my life. I plan to read my husband's letter to him on New Year's Eve.
6. Stopped all the "busy" in my life. I don't care what anyone thinks or says. I'm going to enjoy these days and give myself the gift of peace and relaxation and be with people I truly love in an authentic way. My eyes and spirit have been awakened by this whole process, it's amazing! I am also letting myself fall in love again with my precious husband and I see the same happening from him. The thought of losing someone can do good things to a man!
7. Said goodbye to my reproductive organs. I embraced them, told them how grateful I am for all they have been through with me and that I am now releasing them from their job that they have worked so very dilligently at with me for my whole life. This was something I read about in the book and while it may seem silly it was actually quite helpful and I found myself surprisingly in tears and very connected during the process.

Hugs and prayers to my Sisters....try to stop resisting. When you feel yourself engaging in the fear, take a deep breath and as you slowly exhale, visualize the fear image floating out of your nostrils and upward as large pearls. Let them turn translucent, into beautiful bubbles and watch them gently pop and disappear as your spirit is calmed. Light a candle, play some soothing music, sip some warm tea, put your ear to a kitty's tummy or whatever soothes and comforts you.

Give yourself healing messages. When you hear, "I'm so afraid of the needles!", release that in pearl bubbles, and replace it with, "I am going to have a peaceful, successful surgery and recovery. I am beginning the next chapter of my life with health, peace and strength!" We are not at the end of a scary road, we are at the beginning of a rainbow!
Unread 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Something else I am doing is adopting a rescue dog, scheduled to arrive two weeks after my surgery. This was something we had been planning on prior to all this but the timing has worked out to be such a blessing. It gives me a sweet anticipation and when I am in the hospital with all the new mamas, I can remember my fur-baby waiting for me.
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM

I hope the doggie will be trained already?
Be careful caring for the dog while still healing. My kids are on dog duty 24/7-I havent' even tied her out to go potty yet, but I understand looking forward to a new dog is a good motivation!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register