3 days post-op and constipated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post-op and constipated 3 days post-op and constipated

Unread 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
3 days post-op and constipated

Surgery on Dec. 20th. Complete hysterectomy including ovaries; 2 large hernias repaired; and, minor peritoneal stripping for endometriosis. All laparoscopic.
I can pee ok once stream starts, but I cannot poop. I think (in part) I am scared to. I have been on double+ dose of Miralax for 3 days. I am going to call Dr. in the AM. I want to ask the Hystersisters for your advice!? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Re: 3 days post-op and constipated

I didn't go until the 4th or 5th day. Are you taking stool softeners? I was told to take them twice per day. I finally went after a dose of Miralax and daily softeners. Good luck!
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM

You need to drink lots of water to help keep everything soft. In addition to the water, what worked for me was 2 cups of prune juice. Others have reported success with prunes, dried apricots, coffee, prune juice mixed with apple sauce, kiwis, smooth move tea and bran cereal. Hopefully something in that list will help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Stool softeners, lots of water, and walking a bit helped me; I had surgery on Dec. 19th.

Good luck!
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM

I need a strong cup Of coffee, a cigarette and a walk for about 1/2 block in morning before I feel movement. I also take 2 fiber pills daily with lots of water all day.
I am 22 days post op and didn't go til 4/5days after surgery. It really messes with your sense of well being when your backed up.
Try the prune juice. My dad swore by it
G
Best of luck lady!
Unread 12-23-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks View Post
Surgery on Dec. 20th. Complete hysterectomy including ovaries; 2 large hernias repaired; and, minor peritoneal stripping for endometriosis. All laparoscopic.
I can pee ok once stream starts, but I cannot poop. I think (in part) I am scared to. I have been on double+ dose of Miralax for 3 days. I am going to call Dr. in the AM. I want to ask the Hystersisters for your advice!? Thank you!
I have constipation problems off and on since my hysterectomy in February.

I finally went to a gastroenterologist.
He said to take the Miralax once a day (1 capful in your drink), then Benefiber twice a day (2 tablespoons).
He also said to add a stool softner capsule if needed.

I also took Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tablespoons) in my drink each day. I read about the ACV on the internet, LOL.

By day 2, I was going #2 fairly easily.

Good Luck!
Unread 12-24-2011, 04:35 AM

I took 2 x 100 mg colage morning and night since surgery (to combat T3 - codine)
On day three I tool MOM at night
At the end of day 4 I used a glycerine suppository on the advice of my visiting nurse (catheter) It was quite the event. Stand, sit, stand, sit, two feet on a stool, one foot on a stool.. I was determined to just "wait for the wave" (NO STRAINING) I eventually did go. The next day was also an event but have been going no problem ever since. For me, the glycerine supp was the ticket - but my stool was soft. I drink lots of water and a healthy high fibre diet. Good luck. I am down to one colace a day now.
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:02 AM

I normally take benefiber to bulk up, so I stopped it prior to surgery adn did not take it since, and I didn't go until day 5 but it was super soft, but gas pains hurt like heck.

I do black coffee each am, and I had my son get me some gourmet cheese popcorn and ate the entire (small) bag the night before I went.

Oh, also alot of fresh fruit: brother sent me one of those "edible arragements" so I was eating not much but some fresh cantalope, pineapple, strawberries, grapes each day since day #3.

LOTS of water and took laps around room I am living in (family room) as it really does help to get things moving.

Try not to worry that you havent' gone in so many days-It will happen and best of luck when it does, try lamaze breathing to let it just happen with out straining.
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:42 AM

Update: Success this morning! I got up early and stuck as close as possible to my prior "normal routine" -- cup of strong coffee and sit down at the computer desk. That was all it took and my body said "Oh, I know what this means..." Having all that Miralax definitely helped. It was very soft and easy. I think going forward, I will keep up 1/2 dose of Miralax and add the fiber that others here have recommended. Thank you!
Unread 12-24-2011, 07:49 AM

You're welcome.
My gastro said that the EXLAX is very addictive...If you take it regularly, your own bowels may become "lazy." In time you may become chronically constipated.

I resorted to Exlax with disastrous results.

I am just letting others know what he said.

I no longer use Exlax. Like it says on the box, it is only for occasional use.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register