Morphine vs. Demerol pump | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine vs. Demerol pump Morphine vs. Demerol pump

Unread 12-28-2001, 03:33 AM
Morphine vs. Demerol pump

My surgery is Jan.2 and I'm trying to make a decision on which pump to ask for. I've read that some say Morphine makes them so sick and then I've read where Demerol didn't help with the pain as much. I understand that Demerol is easier on the stomach than morphine. My dr. says he didn't think I would need one but reading on this site tells me to have the dr. order one anyway, just in case. You post-op ladies let me know your experiences. Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 03:46 AM

This was an easy decision for me because I knew what my reaction was to demerol. I have twilight sleep with nightmares.

I chose the unknown- Morphine. It worked well with none of the troublesome side effects I had read about. It might have been why I stayed on oxygen, though.

Everyone is different.

Still, I can't imagine not having that pump....
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:05 AM

I had morphine pump too had no problems with it.....loved that clicky thing....lol
One of the girls i was in with had morphine pump but felt sickly with it so they changed her, we all react differently. I felt as if i was in control with the pump and could click if needed...they kept me on the oxygen too, not sure why myself about that.
take care let us know how u get on and try and pop into chat if you get the chance
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 04:53 AM
Morphine or Demerol

I had did not have the pump, however, I did have morphine in the recovery room. I took a reaction to the morphine and my blood pressure dropped and needed to be hooked up to oxygen. The demerol seemed to work ok for me, but each person is different.

Angel101
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:59 AM

Had a previous pump with Demoral - made my sick instantly when I pushed the button. Only pushed the button twice...

Had morphine pump this time. No problems for the first day, but had a slow morphine drip during the first night and was so sick the next am that I was basically knocked out all day with antinausea meds.

My DS had morphine post op a year ago, made him horribly ill.

I have gotten very ill from Valium, Vicoden and others. I'm just very sensitive to drugs I guess.

Explain your concerns to your doc, plus any past history with pain killers. Let the doc chose, but you will need to be your own best advocate in requesting any needed changes. I stopped pain meds the day after surgery after getting sick from the morphine and did fine. A friend recently opted for an epidural, and she obviously felt much much better than I did post op. Maybe you could investigate that option?
Unread 12-28-2001, 05:10 AM

Hi Kathy,
I had the morphine pump. For me the morphine made me itch, I couldn't focus my eyes and felt very disorientated. I don't know if demoral would have been better or not. I did feel that I actually got better pain relief from the percocet. This was my first time using any of these medications so I just had to wing it. Let us know how everything turns out and what you went with.
God Bless
Sue
Unread 12-28-2001, 05:58 AM

I had the morphine pump. The doctor wanted to see how I would do with just pain shots after surgery. Well, that was not working at all. I really needed something stronger. My sister got really sick with the stuff but I didn't. I do remember being a bit fuzzy:confuse: for a few days that I was on the pump, but the pain was gone. Also, if you choose to have the pump, please have someone keep pushing the button when you are sleeping, this also helps with pain control. I would not have done it any other way. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it all goes. Sending you a

Jennifer
10-10-01
Kept ovaries
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:21 AM

Unfortunately, everyone is different. I had no pain pump, had injections of Demerol, and it worked great for me. They had me off the shots and on oral Percocet pretty quickly and I went home the next day. Your mileage may vary!
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:55 AM

As most people have told you, everyone is different. I had a morphine PCA that I used three times the first night and never again. It allowed me to sleep that first night but I didn't have any problems after that, didn't even bring pain meds home with me.

I found that the quicker I was up and walking and away from my bed, the better I felt. That did more for me than the PCA could have.
Unread 12-28-2001, 07:36 AM

Hi,

I'm three weeks postop. I had problems with pain control in the Recovery Room and was given Demerol and hooked up to a morphine pump. The Demerol caused problems with low blood pressure so I had oxygen for two days. I found that the morphine worked briefly. It is designed to allow you to pump every 15 minutes or so but the length of pain relief is shorter. My brother had surgery for prostate CA and had a morphine pump. He had a private duty nurse who said the duration of relief with the pump is about six minutes. I only used it three or four times the first night. I had Toradol as an IV drip and it really helped. After the morphine was unhooked I took Percocet orally and it was great. My suggestion would be to take it on the clock (every four hours) initially to stay on top of the pain whether you feel you need it at that point or not. That worked really well for me. At the end of my hospital stay, I tried taking it as needed and did develop some heavier pain problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register