if you cannot take hormones, what then? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

if you cannot take hormones, what then? if you cannot take hormones, what then?

Unread 12-24-2011, 11:36 PM
if you cannot take hormones, what then?

Dr said no hormones as it will cause endo to grow-had everything removed last week.

Is it only estrogen I must stay away from?

I had dry vagina before in a chemical menopause and cannot fathom living with it, at the time I had a hormone cream to put down there temp and it worked.

I have read some get Testosterone, but why and what does that do?

I'm scared to think I cannot ever take HRT and will suffer my entire life.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Re: if you cannot take hormones, what then?

Hi there. My surgery was over 2 years ago and I have never taken HRT. I can't really offer much to your specific questions but I wanted to share that I have made it through OK. The hardest time was the first year just getting my emotions leveled out but I do OK now.

I wish you the best!
Unread 12-25-2011, 04:19 PM

I had my surgery right at 18 months ago. I had severe endo,precancerous cells in my cervix and a myriad of other things going on in there.
I tried going without my vivelle dot but I had severe hotflashes,joint pain,headaches,blah feeling,etc.. that I had to have something. I now have no hotflashes to speak of, my joint pain is minimal,I only occasinally feel blue now.
Do I still have some pelvic pain from my endo, yes, but for the moment I can live with it. What I could not live with is all the problems from no HRT. Don't know if age makes a difference or not. I was 45 when I had mine. Some women do not have to many problems but others like me have severe problems when not using HRT. It is something you have to look at as you get further down the road and see how you do without hormones.
Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi,
I would encourage you to do some research on progesterone and endometriosis. Doctor's seem to focus on the estrogen and see it as HRT.

My research has indicated that endometriosis (as well as uterine cancer) can be caused by estrogen dominance (which is really too little progesterone leading to too much estrogen).

My doctor doesn't want me to use estrogen after my hysterectomy (because of cancer) and also seems to feel that progesterone is not necessary without a uterus. I have a different opinion.

I am using higher doses of progesterone that are actually helping with some of my menopause issues. My research indicated that progesterone can help with many issues, but the challenge is to eliminate as much of the environmental estrogens and phyto-estrogens.

Do a search for progesterone therapy. There is a website called by this name and they have a lot of amazing information. Their blog is stories of many women's lives and what they are doing with progesterone to make a difference. Even without a uterus, progesterone can make a big difference.

Progesterone is the pre-cursor for many of the other hormones. Also, I think I read that pregnenolone is a pre-cursor to progesterone. Maybe with some supplements and gentle support your hormones will settle down and so will your health.

Best of luck in your research and healing journey.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlife View Post
Hi,
I would encourage you to do some research on progesterone and endometriosis. Doctor's seem to focus on the estrogen and see it as HRT.

My research has indicated that endometriosis (as well as uterine cancer) can be caused by estrogen dominance (which is really too little progesterone leading to too much estrogen).

My doctor doesn't want me to use estrogen after my hysterectomy (because of cancer) and also seems to feel that progesterone is not necessary without a uterus. I have a different opinion.

I am using higher doses of progesterone that are actually helping with some of my menopause issues. My research indicated that progesterone can help with many issues, but the challenge is to eliminate as much of the environmental estrogens and phyto-estrogens.

Do a search for progesterone therapy. There is a website called by this name and they have a lot of amazing information. Their blog is stories of many women's lives and what they are doing with progesterone to make a difference. Even without a uterus, progesterone can make a big difference.

Progesterone is the pre-cursor for many of the other hormones. Also, I think I read that pregnenolone is a pre-cursor to progesterone. Maybe with some supplements and gentle support your hormones will settle down and so will your health.

Best of luck in your research and healing journey.
Does it help with the hot flashes and joint pain? When I tried to go without usung my vivelle patch after surgery because of the constant pelvic pain from the endo flaring back up I had such severe hotflashes and joint pain. I read some of the info on the progesterone website and it is very interesting indeed.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM

In most cases, in women without ovaries, adding progesterone when your estrogen level is very low only makes the symptoms worse. Progesterone can be very helpful once you have enough estrogen on board; it's also helpful to women who have ovaries and are more able to convert it to the other hormones as needed.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Hi,
I'm sure that progesterone is not the answer for everyone. But it seems to be making a difference for me and my issues.

Countryliving45: Hi,
For me, I feel that it is making a difference to the joint discomfort that I experienced without it. It has definitely reduced the number and intensity of the hot flashes. They are not completely gone, but better. I am currently using a pretty high dose of progesterone. I plan to do this for several months and when I feel that I am stable, will begin to reduce the dosage until I find that place that works for my specific situation.

As best I can understand what I am reading about estrogen and progesterone receptors and a simplified explanation is that for a while progesterone stirs receptors that actually cause symptoms to get worse. I am aggressively working to eliminate estrogens and it takes time for the receptors to calm down and quiet. Initially, the receptors are screaming for more estrogen. Once the receptors quiet, they need less hormones to respond to symptoms.

Progesterone is a pre-cursor for most hormones and the body can convert this to what it might need. Once the receptors quiet down, little or no estrogen should be needed. Most symptoms could be addressed with progesterone. I actually read about a woman who simply ate broccoli (a phyto-estrogen) when she noticed hot flashes coming back. That worked for her. I also read that pregnenolone is a pre-cursor for progesterone.

This information is what I am accepting in my search for what might work for me. It might not work for anyone else.

Surferbabe: Hi,
My research is indicating that progesterone is formed in the body from cholesterol. It is made predominantly in the ovaries, with small amounts produced by the adrenal cortex and other tissues, such as nerves. With the ovaries gone, a big source of progesterone is gone. Also, at menopause, the ovary production of progesterone drops considerably.

Estrogen is produced in ovaries, adrenal glands and fat tissues. Plus, there seems to be all these environmental estrogens. So it seems that the estrogen is easy to come by and the progesterone - not so easy.

At least for me, the environmental estrogens seem to be the big concern. I no longer have ovaries and I don't have a lot of fat.

My research keeps coming back to the receptors and their over-stimulation.

My experience seems to be paralleling the research I am finding about the receptors. Initially, my symptoms were worse, but as I am continuing to reduce estrogens (bumping down the level of the receptor excitability), the progesterone is more and more successful at reducing symptoms.

At least for right now, I am happy with this plan and it seems to be working for me. I know it might not work for everyone. In the past, I would have just taken the estrogen to get quick relief for the hot flashes. My receptors were screaming for more and they didn't really care about the estrogen dominance or cancer. I no longer have that choice which is forcing me to keep researching. I don't get to use the quick fixes anymore.

Best of luck to everyone on this hormone healing journey. It is a tough road with no easy answers.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Hi Kathy1970,

I thought about using the testosterone cream vaginally. I had read about it on the internet. I found a company that sells it and decided to check with their customer service.

They do not recommend using it vaginally. They said if it was used vaginally, it can cause the labias to grow and it is not reversible. That was pretty scary!!!

The vaginal dryness is a tough issue. I also use progesterone creme to help with vaginal dryness.

There is another website that sells a progesterone oil called progestelle. He is an MD and there is some good information on his website about endometriosis and progesterone. Even without a uterus, the endometriosis can still be an issue. You can even fill out a health questionnnaire and email him. He has been very helpful in my research (you don't have to buy his product), but he has great information. I have talked to him on the phone and emailed him. He has been helping me to eliminate environmental estrogens... a very nice doctor.

Do some research on endometriosis, environmental estrogens and progesterone for endometriosis.

Best of luck with your hormone healing journey.
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Estrogen is produced in ovaries, adrenal glands and fat tissues
Well, sort of. It's not actually produced IN the adrenals. And it is produced FROM progesterone, so if your body is making estrogen, it's doing it from the progesterone it's making from dietary cholesterol. The reason your progesterone level would be very low is that if you are estrogen-deprived, as soon as you make some progesterone your body will convert it to either testosterone or estrogen as needed.

By the way, testosterone is a controlled substance (CIV) in the United States. There is no over-the-counter product that contains actual testosterone, though some make it sound a lot like they do. It's illegal.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register