To keep my cervix or not..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep my cervix or not..... To keep my cervix or not.....

Unread 12-28-2001, 08:31 AM
To keep my cervix or not.....

Hello Sisters, I'm brand new to this group. Thanks for being here. This is my dilemma du jour:

I'm scheduled for surgery on Wednesday January 2nd. I have rectal cancer and the surgery is primarily for that; I've also had a history of ovarian tumor (benign) and my mom died of ovarian cancer; so given that and the radiation effects I've had to my pelvic area, the consensus is to remove my uterus and remaining ovary at the time of the cancer surgery. I'm totally on board with that, but am wondering about having my cervix removed also. I've been researching this morning and the opinions seem split down the middle.

Any wisdom to share on the subject?

Thanks -- WindStar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 09:06 AM

Well, this is an odd question, but do you LIKE your cervix? Do you feel it during orgasm? Would you feel funny with it gone? Mine was sensitive and tender and I was happy to see it go. Sex without it (you were going to ask, weren't you?) is just fine and actually better for me.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:19 AM

LOL mindreader Denise! I'm only 3 weeks post, so I can't answer on the sex part yet. I had recurring severe endocervical dysplasia, so when I had my hyst, the dr removed my cervix too. Now I have peace of mind that the dysplasia won't return and won't progress to cancer. Given your history of the other cancer, it is MY OWN OPINION that if I were in your shoes, I'd have the cervix removed so I wouldn't have to worry about cancer popping up there too and having to go back for more surgery to remove it later. What does your doctor say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 02:03 PM

I kept my cervix because it was healthy. I am a firm believer in keeping it if there is nothing wrong with it. I read these boards and everyone seems to agree if your ovaries are healthy to keep them and I don't see any difference with your cervix. Of course it is just my opinion and I researched before making my decision as well. I had no abnormal paps so I kept mine. If god forbid at a later time I have problems at least it can be removed through vagina and they won't have to cut me open again. Good luck with your decision and your surgery. Stop in and visit us in chat some time.
Unread 12-28-2001, 03:55 PM

i was very in the dark b4 surgery, i wasnt even given the choice. but it hasnt affected anything with it being gone. i do have better orgasms, and that is the truth. i dont know for sure, but i would think it would b one less thing to worry about. cervical cancer that is. good luck, and remember the third day its starts getting better.
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:19 PM

Hi windstar!

I had them take mine. I had a history of abnormal smears, dysplasia etc. Of course, going to TVH route, keeping it really wasn't an option. Good luck in your searches!
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:26 PM

I'm two weeks post-op, I decided to keep my cervix because all of my yearly pap have been normal their is not history of cancer in my family.

My Dr also informed me about the chance of getting cervical cancer after my hysterectomy.

I never had much pain before my surgery, just very heavy periods and amenia.

After my surgery told me that my Firbroids were not as large as he thought they would be, but he did remove two very lagre cysts (about 10cm) off my left ovary which he removed also.

I also did some reading before my sugery called Hysterectomy:Before & After by Winnifred B. Cutler, Ph.D.
She gaves good information about keeping you Cervix.
Unread 12-28-2001, 09:15 PM
keeping cervix?

Hi windstar..

I, too was wondering about this and over the past month of thinking about it, doing research and talking about it at length with my ob/gyn, I've decided to have it taken out. From what I've learned, it makes the surgery less complicated and as far as sex goes, it isn't supposed to make it uncomfortable or shorten the vagina. Of course all women can react differently as there are exceptions to any rule, but for me, I feel it best to have it out... *Just my opinion* Good luck and God bless you!

Big 's to you.....
Unread 12-28-2001, 10:35 PM

Hi, Windstar. You asked the same question that I did when I 1st found this site, after finding good arguments for & against each option. As you can tell from the replies so far, there is no clear answer - there are good reasons for removing the cervix as well as for keeping it.

If you want to read more opinions, you could do a search (see litttle purple bars at top of page) for cervix. I also found a pull-down page called "Keep Cervix?" I ended up changing drs over this issue - to dr who seems more up-to-date, will discuss options, & who I, therefore, trust more. Currently, I am opting to keep my cervix, unless there are real reasons not to once dr is in there. Support issues seem important to me, so I'll ask dr how she'll support things in there if she does end up having to remove the cervix too.

Every person's physical situation & emotional stance is different. It is up to you to make the choice on this. Keep asking & talking about it, here & there & especially w/your dr - you'll make the right choice in the end. I wish you the best.

By the way, if you haven't checked all the different message board areas here, and you have some free time, there is a lot of good information and ideas.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register