Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op? Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op?

Unread 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op?

I am a 47 year old, who had TAH on November 25th due to extremely large fibroids and heavy periods resulting in constant anemia. Everything has been going really well until Dec 24th when I started to have fresh bleeding. Prior to that only brown spotting (liner sufficient). Ended up in emerg early Christmas morning (filled 2 super pads and passed two clots - second one very large). By time doc did internal he couldnt see any active bleeding. Ruled out internal bleed, and said there was a small area (not even 1 cm) of the cuff suture line that looked "irritated" and that most times this kind of bleeding resolves on its own. Sent me home, and had no further bleeding all Christmas day or night (not even spotting). Was thinking - yay! - it's resolved!! Had tiny bit of brownish spotting this morning, and then at 3:00 pm had another flood of bleeding with an absolutely huge clot. I don't have any pain or fever, just the bleeding. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to go back to emerg and see gynecologist on call (all my docs offices are closed til Jan 3rd). Just wanted to inquire: anyone have any similar experiences? I'm feeling uber-disappointed not to mention a bit scared....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Re: Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op?

I am so sorry this is happening to you It is scary... I know what this feels like and especially after you were doing so well. I had 2 episodes of bleeding, and two office procedures that did not work . When I was soaking a super maxi in under an hour repeatedly for 3 hours, I went to the er and unfortunately had to have surgery to re stitch. There was an area of the cuff that was open and non healing and gyne thought it was due to my anticoagulated blood. So.... I am not saying that it is the same thing as you because I am on lifetime coumadin and have had some bad management of my inr by my hemeonc. Did you become more active since you were feeling well or feel there may have been a trigger for your bleeding in terms of activity?
I just want to send you hugs. If bleeding gets heavier with more clots and more frequent, DON'T wait..... Please go to the er. I really hope the bleeding resolves. Take care and put feet up and rest. Good luck, let us know how you are doing.
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Re: Anyone else experience sporadic but extremely heavy bleeding - 4 weeks post op?

hi meezer - went from scary to downright terrifying and ended back in er with major hemhorraging. yes they had to do new cuff suture line after closing off a blood vessel that wouldnt stop bleeding. they are now running further blood tests to rule out bleeding issues. thks for sharing kind words and your story. i gotta go sleep now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Yikes! I'm glad you went to the ER and that they were able to clamp the blood vessel. How scary!

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:40 PM

I am so sorry you had to go through such a terrifying ordeal I went through the same procedure under general anesthesia, which I am assuming you also did. I am glad that they got bleeding to stop. Please just take it very easy..... I have done pretty much nothing other than walk around the house and a couple of doctors appts. I am so scared to do too much. I am 2 weeks post cuff repair and am doing a little better everyday. I am still anemic from blood loss but I know it's going to take a while to heal from this trauma. Sending you my prayers and best wishes. Keep positive thoughts. I hope you are doing okay. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:43 AM

Meezer1, so glad your bleeding is under control. I also had post cuff repair almost 2 weeks ago and was doing fine until 2 days ago when I started bleeding again. Also, have had very little activity so I don't know what is going on now. I don't know how many times I can go through this or when I will be able to go back to normal activity. Feeling fine otherwise but am having little twinges of pain in my lower abdomen.
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:12 AM

Sarjes I am sorry your bleeding has started again  did you call the doctor? How much bleeding is there? I had a pinkish sometimes little more reddish discharge right after cuff surgery that continued for 12 days and then it just stopped. I live in constant fear of bleeding again. Please get it checked out. They may just do a silver nitrate procedure or monsels. At about two weeks, it may be some stiches beginning to dissolve, so I would definitely have the doc look at it especially since this is a second surgery on the cuff. I am so ready to put this behind me. The mental and emotional toll from this second surgery has been overwhelming for me. I am just living so carefully and fearfully right now. I had started a post just after this surgery asking for positive stories from women who had second cuff surgeries and are doing just fine with no further complications. Only one lady replied ....  . Maybe other ladies are doing so well that they are too busy getting on with their lives to post on this forum. Anyway, sorry for rambling..... I just want to send you (((hugs))) and hope your bleeding stops. I am eating extra vitamin c and zinc because I have read that they are good for healing. Let us know how you are doing. And take lots of care.
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM

oh ladies - i am SO with you on this. it is emotionally draining and extremely difficult to manage the fear factor. optimism and a positive attitude feel like negatives when i am trying to manage my expectations. Sarjes - i agree with meezer on this and woul get yourself back in to see your doc. better to "over react" (which there is no such thing when going through this kind of recovery) than wait too long. meezer - i think you're right re successful cuff repairs being busy and back into normal routines....atleast lets hope! big hugs to you both and keep me posted on how you're doing.
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Agejustanumber, thankyou so much for your good wishes ! It really helps to talk with others who are going through the same thing. How are you doing? I hope you are feeling better soon. You will find that when you start feeling better physically, the emotions and fear are still there. I stopped having any discharge 4 days ago, yet I am still wearing a pad because I fear that I will jinx myself if o dont,and of course because the fear of bleeding is there always One day, we will be over this and healing will happen. We just have to keep believing that. I now play down every positive without trying to be negative. If that makes any sense. The support from you ladies is wonderful... Thankyou! I am sending gentle healing hugs to you. Sarjes, hope you are okay .
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Agenustamumber & Meezer1..,I am still bleeding but it is lighter than it was so I am just going to stay off my feet and take it easy the rest of the week. I go back to the dr next week so hopefully it will stop by then. I did talk to my LOA area at work and it is no problem extending as long as the dr approves which I am sure she already intends to do so that is a relief. Continued healing for you ladies as well : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register