Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit

Unread 12-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit

On December 12th, I went in for what was supposed to be a da Vinci; however, I had respiratory problems which forced the dr. to do an incision from my belly button on down almost 12 inches.

On Dec. 20th, the dr. had me go in to remove my staples. I was given a script for 2 5mg of oxycodone every 4 - 6 hours and was told that this would be the last script of pain pills that I'd get from this doctor since all was going so well. About an hour later, my husband had dropped me off at home as I wasn't feeling good, and I went into the bathroom to find that the entire incision had come open and was bleeding bright red blood. (Skip down if you don't want the entire story.) I called the dr.'s office and was told to get my husband to take me in sometime that night. After trying to call my husband on his cell phone and him not answering and calling the drug store which is where he was supposed to go rather than all of the errands he ended up doing. After 30 minutes of yelling for someone in my 4-plex to please help me and calling my husband's cell phone, I called 911 and told them I was home alone. Right before the ambulance got here, my husband comes home to me freaking out. (At this point, he wants to forget it, but I can't forget that horrific hour alone with no one willing to help me.) We went to the ER where my doctor who referred me to the hysterectomy and my doctor who did the hysterectomy come in. The one who had assisted (referred me) looked horrified while the one who did the surgery was just shrugging it off and said it sometimes just happens.

My physical therapist who has been doing the cleanings said that the dr had wrote that she was supposed to be showing my husband how to do it which I'll say he couldn't do this. He has problems pulling splinters out of my finger or my daughter's finger! There's no way he'd be able to unpack, irrigate, clean, and pack it back up. The therapist has also told me that it will take at least 2 months to heal if there are no complications or infections to set in. The incision/wound is almost 12 inches long and 9mm (a lil more than 3.5 inches) deep with two pockets or tunnels.

On Thursday, we called since we were told to give 24 hour notice when needing more meds. The doctor ended up getting on the phone saying I was taking too many pills. I reminded her that the incision had come open and even with taking the pills every 4 hours as instructed that it felt like someone had poured stick pins inside there and after 3 and a half hours it felt like it was exploding in there. I stayed in tears for those first 3 days after it came open between the pain and trauma. After a lot of questions with me saying that I was unable to do anything and her accusing me of doing things, she prescribed me oxycodone 10 mg and dilauded 2 mg telling me she was afraid that I'd overdose, she wanted me to take the dilauded most, and we'd discuss it further when I came back in. After 6 doses of the dillauded, I can honestly say it doesn't work for me at all. I'm still in extreme pain the entire time with the dilauded. With the oxy 10's I'm able to sleep or sit and crochet with less pain.

My husband goes back to work in a week, and my mother has offered to fly up here to be with me and my daughter. My mother will need a letter stating that I'm unable to do anything for myself. To get it across to my mother, I had to finally break down and tell her how I have problems wiping after going to the bathroom, can't pull up my own pants, and so many other things. Just sitting here at the computer hurts after a few minutes. Since my doctor has been saying that there was no reason for me to go back to normal living after 2 weeks even with the change in types of surgery, I'm scared that I'll be told how much I should be able to do on my own.

I'm dreading the appointment where we'll discuss the pain pills since she's scared I'm going to get addicted (can't stand pain pills to be honest except when in pain. I've flushed bottles of them before when I've had some left over after different surgeries and wisdom teeth being removed or other dental procedures) or overdose and be left in pain, won't get the letter for my mom to come up and help me or it won't be worded correctly, or I'll miss something that I need to ask her.

Thanks for reading and any advice or tell me what I might be forgetting please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit

Alaska... I wish I had some spectacular advice to give you, other than to kick your doctor, but I don't. I'm utterly shocked at her lackadaisical attitude toward your wound care. I hate that the doc's concern for pain pill addiction supersedes everything else. I'm sure you spent many months prior to your surgery in pain and just want it all to be over with.
I'm sending big, warm, caring cyber hugs and flowers 🌺💐 your way. If you want to chat, I'll listen.
Happy New Year!! 🎉
~Megs
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Re: Open incision Want advice for Dr's Visit

You poor thing! I can't even imagine what you must be feeling! The only thing I can say, is you MUST put your foot down in your appointment. You are your best advocate for your health. Your husband has GOT to step up and be your support. INSIST that they give you adequate pain medication. Packing a wound is PAINFUL. They know this. If they try and give you flack about it, offer them the opportunity to have a large incision open and packed daily. If they do not give you adequate pain control and find a way for you to care for your wound, you need to find a new doctor and report this doctor to the health board. That is horrible care!! I hope so much that you feel better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

If you have insurance, look into home health care. A visiting nurse/nurses's aide could do the wound care. As for pain meds, make a face to face appointment. Keep a pain diary today where you write the level of pain (1-10) each hour and the dose and time of pain meds. Then write the amount of time it took to get relief and how much it worked. It is best not to ask for a specific drug, but say x drug is not working. What is another option? If you go into the office calm and informed your visit will go better. I hate that your doctor is difficult. I am still in pain 4 weeks later and I must say that doc has been understanding. If he won't help, ask for another doctor. I cannot take ibuprofen, but if you can, taking it between pain meds helps according to some women. I believe 800 mg can be prescribed, but that is a conversation you and doc need to have. A heating pad and/or ice might help, too.
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the support. Tn70: I've not asked for a particular one but can honestly say that of the ones I've been given this go around which one works to some extent and which don't work at all. I did tell this doctor not to prescribe me vicoden (hydro something) since they don't work for me at all and make me very nasoues which was learned years ago. What I'm praying for is to keep going with the wound care and good pain meds, a good letter to get my mom up here, and instructions.
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Has your Dr referred you to a wound center, if not it's something to consider. Also you might ask about a Wound Vac, they only need changing every 3 days or so, which means fewer painful changes (if it's appropri(e to use in your case). Can your DH accompany you to back you up? That might make a huge difference. The pain diary is a good idea, too. I'm so sorry you are being subjected to all this. Make a list when you go in, that may help, too. Good luck at your appt, let us know how it goes there.
Unread 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Just got back, asked the doctor if she would come back in to talk after looking at and changing my packing on my wound. I'm going to keep going to Wound Care clinic and will not see the doctor until the end of January. As she was pulling out the packing, she said that my 1st set of stitches (there's supposedly 3 sets holding the peritoneal cavity and organs in) were dissolving and when I asked said we'd discuss it after she came back in. I asked about writing a letter or something informing my mother's employer's that I need 24 hour care and about pain pills. She didn't return so that's about all that was discussed while she was redoing the packing on the wound. Her nurse came back in with prescriptions and the visit thing that says how much to charge. So, I have no way of knowing or having my questions answered about anything else. I really have no clue what it means about my stitches coming out whether it means that I'll have a deeper wound shortly or how much more before the entire abdominal cavity is reopened. Just tired of being put off.
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM

I believe it is time you get another doctor involved such as your primary care doctor. It is ridiculous that the doctor never came back to talk to you when she said she would. I hope you heal quickly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register