TLH Insomnia is driving me crazy!! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insomnia is driving me crazy!! Insomnia is driving me crazy!!

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Re: Insomnia is driving me crazy!!

Hi Kooks,
I just got the picamilon a couple days ago. I'm starting out slow and low dose to see how it might work.

I haven't noticed anything yet, but it has only been 2 days. Yesterday, I was so exhausted from lack of sleep that I ended up spending all day in bed (exhausted, but unable to sleep).

Last night I took Ambien again and got 5 hours of sleep. For some reason the Ambien is only good for about 5 hours.

I wish I knew what surgery did that messes up the sleep patterns so severely.

I thought it might be that I'm not using enough energy during the day to be able to sleep, but others have gone back to work, etc., and still can't sleep.

I know there are different solutions for each person. I hope this is my solution, but will have to wait and see.

Best of luck to everyone on their healing sleep journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSister View Post
I'm waking up 4-5 times a night because of night sweats. I started having hot flashes 5 days after surgery... surgical menopause. I keep a cold pack next to my bed so I can quickly put that on my head instead of taking all the covers off and then waking up to pull them up again.
I'm with you on the night sweats. On a given night, I'm likely to change clothes atleast two/three times.
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:45 PM

I had one great night of sleep, thanks to ambien. I had stopped it prior to surgery for fear of combining it with pain meds, but now I am wide awake at 3am like all of you-ugh. I just took one now-I only have 5mg but it says take two, but I only take one as I was doing some stuff when on it before.
I too am deeply worried about returning to work in general then adding these sleep problems on top of it.

Even with ambien I lay in bed for over an hour, and like someone else posted-I finally get good sleep come morning and am sleeping in very late-so late that I see no way at all I could ever wake up for work again at this point-ugh.
I've stopped napping, though sometimes I take one it's only 30 minutes, so that should not interefere.

Has anyone had any luck with Melatonin?

I'm job hunting and actually applied for a midnight shift again as I figure if I can't sleep might as well work-ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM

Hi Kathy1970,
I plan on trying melatonin tonight. I had my hysterectomy (everything out) no ovaries..5 months ago and I have horrible insomnia and anxiety. I already had anxiety/panic attacks since I was 20.(i'm 48 now) I like this hystersisters but I cannot figure out how to respond directly to a person. I hope you get this. I find this site a little confusing. I take Lunesta..only sleep for 4 hours...I take 6mg of xanax/day and I am still anxious. I am a mess. I have a beautiful 14 yr old daughter...I try so hard so hard to hide how bad I am feeling from her...but she knows. I am not the same person. I am so sad. I will let you know how the melatonin works. I have a feeling it may take a few days or more to work. just a guess on my part. Maybe we (and the others who have horrible insomnia and anxiety) can get thru this together. I will share everything I read, and everything I take.
Take care
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM

I had my hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries on Dec 5, 2011. I have had trouble sleeping since week 1, up until 3am every night then sleeping until 11 or 12. I had read about Melatonin and bought a bottle Friday. I got the lowest dose the store had which was 3 mg. I had the best nights sleep that I had had in 3 weeks. I slept so hard that I woke up with a headache so I am going to cut them in half and see how that works. Hopefully the headache was not a side effect of the Melatonin. I also didn't have any night sweats that night or I slept so hard that I didn't realize it. I also take black cohosh and Braggs apple cider vinegar for the hot flashes (which I haven't had yet) and the night sweats.
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM

I pray to god that the melatonin works....I just read what Preachers wife just wrote. I am desperate. It has been 5 months...i did not have insomnia too bad the 1st month or so....NOW it is horrible. the last 2 months. Months 4 and 5 after hysterectomy!!

I just had off a week of work due to the holidays....I don't want to go back. I got about 4 hrs sleep every night.

I can't live like this. I wonder why there is so much trouble sleeping...is it more with women who had their ovaries out? I have a friend who still has her ovaries....and her sleep is fine.
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Dear Juliet48: If you click on someones name (click on Kathy1970) a list will open up and you can send that person private messages!

Thanks and please let us know how the melatonin works. My dr told me to add it to my Ambien, but I didn't notice a difference back then.
Unread 01-02-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet48 View Post
I pray to god that the melatonin works....I just read what Preachers wife just wrote. I am desperate. It has been 5 months...i did not have insomnia too bad the 1st month or so....NOW it is horrible. the last 2 months. Months 4 and 5 after hysterectomy!!

I just had off a week of work due to the holidays....I don't want to go back. I got about 4 hrs sleep every night.

I can't live like this. I wonder why there is so much trouble sleeping...is it more with women who had their ovaries out? I have a friend who still has her ovaries....and her sleep is fine.
Julie, I'm so sorry that you are so sad. I hope you can feel better. It's so hard to feel happy when sleep deprived.

I have had insomnia since about 2 days post op. My surgery was 4.5 weeks ago and I have one ovary and no menopausal symptoms. The pain from surgery is not waking me up anymore, except for when my bladder is full. I can sleep for 3-6 hours. Actually falling asleep is almost impossible though. And I either don't nap or I nap for less than 10 mins once a day. I have been sleeping only in the morning though. I'm setting my alarm tomorrow morning so that maybe I can reset my clock. I was hoping that if I missed almost a whole night's sleep, that the next night I'd fall asleep, but that didn't work.

I don't have any caffeine either. Ambien helped the first 7 times I used it. But the last time I took it, I didn't fall asleep for about an hour.

I don't want to get hooked on it. I only have 2 pills left in my rx. I think I'll try Benadryl. I'm worried about going back to work and needing caffeine to get me through my long commute and work day and setting up a terrible roller coaster ultimately leading to an even harder time falling asleep.

All my adult life, I have not been able to just lay there and fall asleep. I have to fall asleep watching tv, reading, or doing a crossword. I never had a hard time falling asleep at night if I was doing one of these things. None of these has worked since the surgery, and neither has just laying there in bed in the dark.

I need the sandman.

Good luck to my Sisters who are struggling.
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM

To all of my new friends here at hystersisters....I took 2 melatonin last night (6mg) I got a headache also (Preacher's Wife) but I bet if I took 1 like I should have I would have been headache free. I was so desperate for sleep that is why i took 2. I have to say, I did wake up after the usual 4 hours BUT I fell back asleep for another 2 and then another 2!! The sleep was a different quality. For once I felt like I was in a deep sleep! (in a very long time) Sleep is so important. I feel better this morning. I still took my Lunesta. I go back to work tomm. and I get up at 5am. YUCK! Just to let everyone know I have the book "The Cleveland Guide to Menopause" and they don't recommend melatonin "since no pure pharmaceutical-grade product is currently available" they recommend Rozerem. (i never heard of this) but they say it's a melatonin receptor agent (whatever that means) and is non-addictive. I am still going to take the melatonin after having better sleep last night. but when i see my dr. I will ask about the Rozerem. still feeling that heart racing though. but the xanax helps that (for the most part, sometimes it's so bad the xanax doesn't help) I see my husband (same age as me) hop out of bed and he has so much energy and I am so sad because I was like that once..I have to exercise. I am very bad about taking vitamins also. Everything is such an effort for me these days. Thanks for listening. and to anyone having trouble with insomnia try the melatonin. I will keep you updated.
Unread 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Insomnia is driving me crazy!!

I kept both ovaries, so I don't think it's an either/or situation causing insomnia.
Upon my return home from a 3 night stay with my boyfriend last night (I was tormented with my same sleep pattern there too). I wrapped up dinner then layed down to rest and warm up a bit. It was only 8pm and WAY to early to go to bed. I fell asleep so swiftly that I wasn't even aware that it happened. I awoke almost 2 hours later in a deep fog. I forced myself to get up, as the light and tv were on and I was still fully dressed. I took a nice hot shower and turned my electric blanket on for more coziness before (what I was hoping would be) a fabulous night of sleep. I go back to work on Thurs and I set my alarm to my normal work time, as a goal to get my internal clock back on track.
My sleep fog had lifted by the end of my shower, so I thought (stupidly) that I would give my Melatonin (5mg natural Vegan formula) a shot. That was a dumb idea. I laid down to watch another episode of "How I Met Your Mother" and while my face & eyes were tired and heavy (with a slight headache by my left eye), my body was racing inside!! This lasted until 5am. I guess I was cat napping between 11pm and 5am, but I was woken up all to often by my body. I would lay on my back and shake myself in bed, thinking that would do it. I got up so many times, I wanted to bash my head repeatedly into the wall just to to knock myself out. Ugh!!!
I finally got fairly solid sleep from 5am - 9:30am, but I can't count how many times I woke up completely drenched in sweat with the Melatonin headache. Guess what's going in the trash today?
Now I'm going to spend another day staying busy and fairly active, all while not overdoing it, to hopefully be successful in my sleep quest tonight.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register