Answering colleagues' "How are you"? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Answering colleagues' "How are you"? Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Unread 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Re: Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

I hated (and still do) the "how are you" question. I had an SAH four and a half months ago and am still having off and on pain. It's definitely decreased in intensity, but I was still having bad days and weeks after the surgery. I didn't want to complain or provide details, but I didn't feel like smiling and faking it either. One of my relatives used to say "no worse than usual" as an answer. However, I really liked SozoSister's answer of "I'm recovering, thanks."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Thank you ladies for some great suggestions and insights!
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

I have replied "every day is a little better" smiled and went about my way. happy healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM

Grest question & great answers. When I was 4 days post op, I thought my supervisor was calling to see how I was feeling but she slid in a work question. I know not to answer the phone now ... I've been answering people who are not terribly close to me with a similar response to the one above - "every day is a little better than the one before".
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Oh my. I had pneumonia last year and literally couldnt breathe enough to talk, and work kept texting, calling, leaving messages about work stuff-it made me so angry! So this time I offered to do work at home and they said no, I couldn't as on "leave" so I am NOT answering work ?'s but I expect them to start next week when the managers return. I'll have husband deliver my Aflac paperwork to them and sit and wait for it to bring back to me, and I too will ignore the phone if they begin to blow it up after kindly reminding them of their own rule.
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1970 View Post
Oh my. I had pneumonia last year and literally couldnt breathe enough to talk, and work kept texting, calling, leaving messages about work stuff-it made me so angry! So this time I offered to do work at home and they said no, I couldn't as on "leave" so I am NOT answering work ?'s but I expect them to start next week when the managers return. I'll have husband deliver my Aflac paperwork to them and sit and wait for it to bring back to me, and I too will ignore the phone if they begin to blow it up after kindly reminding them of their own rule.
Hi Kathy , it's the best thing, what you are doing. I manage a lot of people in a big company and due to rules we have to be careful what we agree to. There are those that work from home st not 100% and who could then sue for working before ready. I've learned the best way is not always the logical way and that means taking your time, using it to get better and then going back when you are fully ready.

I work from home several days per week due to early start with Europe (6am) but I'm not going "back" till I'm well enough that I could be 100% in the office if needed.

It's a hard balance and I'd use the time to think about yourself and how much stronger you'll be. I struggle myself and am going to try and use this time to change my outlook a bit and set better boundaries. Starting with work limits.

Just today I got a text on personal cell phone from one of my staff just "checking in". I did not answer as I'm not supposed to be working and all conversations eventually lead to work talk, problems and selfish needs. I feel guilty but I am not physically or mentally strong enough right now to be dealing with the corporate craziness.

In a few weeks it will all return to business as usual and then they will have me back. Until then I need to worry about self care. I put my surgery off for too long because there never was a good time at work. Not good.

Here's to a better 2012 for all of us.

Mb
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Thank you. I feel rude kind of, but hey, my manager said it herself, right? and i know the "just checking on you" calls are mostly b.s. to be honest. Earlier this week those that do care some did call while the managers were on vacation, those are the workers I know care and would never bother me with work calls. Problem is, managers will call and call, and call, text, text, wont stop-they've done that before, and well, if I knew I had something to do about it, I honestly would, and I don't even want to return to this office honestly and am looking, but no luck.
Interesting that a Dr.s' office is who I work for so you would think they'd have better manners and common sense.
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM

i have been asking general public at work men and women and most believe after a hyster. you are 100% better in 6 weeks.its unbelievable but its truth most do believe that.i have setting record straight
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM

100% better after only 6 weeks - they are so misinformed! I had a TAH on 21st November and my consultant has told me that I should plan to be off work for 3 months! It shocked me at first, but now, nearly 6 weeks down the line, I understand why the lengthy time off. I told my employers this and they have been very understanding - I guess I'm one of the lucky ones :-)
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I have been asked this A LOT. I do appreciate the concern but my recovery has been up and down. One day I think I'm turning the corner, only to have the next day slap me in the face. I now am fighting an inflammation, a big one, and was asked when my return to work would be. Truly I don't know...but I finally said no one should expect to see me before my 6 week checkup. I would have liked to be a "hysterectomy hero" but I'm not feeling heroic with soreness, cramping, hips aching, fatigue, crybaby stuff, night sweats...shall I continue? Some days are better than others and if you say it was a good day, it's like people think you're magically better. If only.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register