Scared ~ any guidance would be appreciated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared ~ any guidance would be appreciated Scared ~ any guidance would be appreciated

Unread 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Scared ~ any guidance would be appreciated

Hi, I was diagnosed just this past fall with Adenomyosis, though I suspect from my symptoms I have had it for several years. We moved from the east coast to Ontario and one night I had such severe pain my husband took me to the ER. I spent the night and after determining that the pain I was feeling was due to a ruptured ovarian cyst, they also diagnosed me with adeno from the intra-vaginal ultrasound I had done. They recommended I have a hysterectomy. The Ob-Gyn at the hospital agreed to see me as a patient since I was new to the province and when I saw him last month, he measured my uterus as the equivalent as being 4 months pregnant. I am in pain all the time, and only ever on my right side. My uterus is so swollen on the right side that my belly button has moved! Well, he also said that I need to have a hysterectomy. He is taking my cervix, but I get to keep my ovaries! So, there was my second opinion....

I have 3 kids, and we have no plans on having ANY more, but I am still having a hard time coming to terms with this. I am scared to death... of how to cope with the after pain (I am allergic to opiates - demerol...morphine...codeine...etc). I am scared of how to have sex afterward, and what it will be like...

Right now I am on Supra-Fact spray to help "shrink" my uterus so he will be able to do a vaginal surgery. Not sure if he will be using laprascopy or not with that.

Any guidance will be appreciated. Did I mention I was scared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Re: Scared ~ any guidance would be appreciated

Being scared is totally normal and I am glad you are sharing this on this site. You will have many other ladies who will share with you their experiences. As to pain relief after surgery, please talk to the surgeon and the anesthesiologist ahead of time to discuss pain relief options. It is better to have a plan in place rather than having the nurses scrambling at the last minute when you are in pain. You may get lucky like me and have no pain the next day. I stopped using the pain pump the next morning to see what kind of pain I was in without the drugs and never used it again since I had no pain when staying still. We are few and far between but we do exist. I hope everything goes well with you. Sending you gentle !
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM

I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much constant pain. It is normal to be scared. I'm right there with you, (scheduled for a TAH on Jan 12... I get to keep my ovaries too). This site has really helped calm my nerves. Just knowing that We are not alone and so many other women know exactly what we are going through helps. Hang in there! I am 42 with one child. I did not want to have any more. Just the thought of the surgery, and life after surgery is scary. My periods are so long, heavy and painful, I just keep thinking that my sex life can't be any worse. So now I'm impatient. I want to hurry up and recover so I can see what my new life will be like.

Do some research on pain meds. Being allergic to so many different things can't be good. You don't want to find out the hard way that you are allergic to something else.

Stay positive and remember its ok to be scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks, Ladies...

I appreciate the support! Maybe I will be lucky like you were and not have too much pain! Being allergic to opiate pain relievers can indeed stink sometimes... especially tonight. In a lot of pain tonight and Advil really isn't cutting it.

I have very mixed emotions. Most days I can pretend I am completely OK with the whole thing, and then there are days when my fear takes over, and then other days I am really looking forward to not feeling so crappy anymore!

Sending a hug right back atcha!
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM

NavyWife, your fears and concerns are normal and valid. I was so scared before my surgery. Each woman's experience is different and we all recover different as well. Which makes it hard to prepare yourself because you don't know exactly what will happen. I didn't even know for sure if I was keeping my ovaries. I remember it was the first thing I asked in recovery. Plan as best as you can, scrub the house since you won't be able to for 1-2 months post op. Freeze some meals in case you don't feel up to cooking. Have some of your favorite comfort things close by: favorite tea, soup, chocolates, Jammie's, blankets, etc. I was very worried about sex post op too. I can't say it's exactly the same, but I'm adjusting. It just takes time, patience and trust. Communicate with your partner about your feelings. Ask for support if necessary. I have found this to be a long and emotional journey and thank goodness for my lovely DH for helping every step of the way. Please post all your questions here. If you're wondering something, then other people are too. Nothing is too embarrassing or personal. You are not alone.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM

I just had a complete hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, and it went much more easily than I had thought it might. I was really scared going in, but the reality wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I had a fibroid that was as large as being 19-20 weeks pregnant, and an endometrioma (cyst on my ovary) the size of a softball. I feel a lot better now.

I suggest that you contact your local MFRC. If your hubby is not able to get compassionate leave, they have the funding to make sure that you have the help that you need. They also have counsellors available, and those folks can help you cope with the anxiety, if it becomes too much to handle.

I hope everything goes well for you. Take care of yourself!
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks, Carole Anne,

With the type of position my husband is in, he will let his "boss" know when the surgery will be and will be scheduled around it. He works shifts and is entitled to 14 days off after every few rotations, and will make sure he is off for those days during and after my surgery. We haven't even been here 6 months and all my family is back east, so I think that may be contributing to my anxiety!

How are you coping with the after-effects? And if you don't mind my asking, was it a vaginal or abdominal surgery you had?

Thanks again!
Angela
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM

Sugarandspice,

I am surprised, actually, at how many people have already taken the time to "talk" to me! The input is most definitely appreciated and now that I know real people actually read and respond with kindness, I will absolutely ask questions that pop up here!

Thank you!
Angela
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_NavyWife View Post
Thanks, Carole Anne,

With the type of position my husband is in, he will let his "boss" know when the surgery will be and will be scheduled around it. He works shifts and is entitled to 14 days off after every few rotations, and will make sure he is off for those days during and after my surgery. We haven't even been here 6 months and all my family is back east, so I think that may be contributing to my anxiety!

How are you coping with the after-effects? And if you don't mind my asking, was it a vaginal or abdominal surgery you had?

Thanks again!
Angela
Mine was abdominal - the doctor said that between my uterus and my ovary, they were too large to do vaginally. I was also diagnosed with endometriosis 20 years ago, so they didn't know if there might be complications because of adhesions.

I am feeling remarkably good, especially when I think about what I expected. I stopped taking any narcotics after 48 hours, and used Advil and Tylenol for another week. I am still sore - more like a big bruise type of sore - and I need to rest a lot. I still do most of the things I want, but need to sit down in between things more than I would have.

I hope that helps.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM

It's the way this community works - I received the kind support of my sisters while I stressed pre op and while I tried to figure out what was normal post op. And that makes me want to help others who are new to these confusing waters. I had my surgery done vaginally due to adenomyosis and cervical dysplasia. It can be difficult to process the fact that you need this surgery. And unless a woman has gone through it, she really can't understand. I have 2 wonderful friends who tried their best to support me and say all the right things. And I appreciate them very much but they just don't know how hard this is. Since your family is not close by, I think Carole Ann's suggestion of contacting the MFRC is a very good one. The military has a great support system and may even help with meals and housekeeping, driving kids to school, etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register