2 weeks post op and feeling worse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post op and feeling worse 2 weeks post op and feeling worse

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:05 AM
2 weeks post op and feeling worse

I am 2 weeks post op today and feeling worse then ever. I keep waking up through out the night so so hot. I am having a strange pain in my shoulder blade and upper rib area the past week that wont go away. I am also more tender on my left side where my ovary was, had my right one removed 6 months ago. I did go back to work at day 10 but only for a few hours and have only been working about 15 hours a week. I have been doing light cleaning, dishes and picking up a bit. I have my kids help some, husband refuses saying there is no reason I can not do it. This is my third surgery this year and I am not sure if I am just plain exhausted or whats going on. Before the surgery I worked out 1-2 hours a day so I am in decent shape but can't seem to get it together with this surgery. I had everything removed this surgery, not sure whats going on. I go to my Dr on Thursday for my 2 week post op. I am just wondering if this is normal. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Re: 2 weeks post op and feeling worse

This was my first major surgery, so nothing to compare it to. I was in good physical condition when I went in as well. However, my recovery process was very uneven and I struggled with the two steps forward and one step back experience. There were some weeks when I felt worse than the one before. You may still want to ask your doctor or advice nurse about your specific pains. Ultimately, you know your physical symtoms the best and if the symptoms seem unusual, the doctor can provide more info.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:55 AM

Well, Cyn1978, I'd say if you had everything removed and you are already back at work, it's no wonder you feel worse, no matter how fit you were before your op.!!

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, quite the opposite! You have not had a chance to recover, and it doesn't sound like you have much help on the home front. I do feel sorry for you. Did you have to go back to work, or did you just think you were up to it?
It really is a big op. you have had, and it takes it out of you. AND it's your third this year! Crikey!
I too was fit and active before my surgery but it knocked me for six. I didn't go back to work for about 7 weeks.

Not sure what chance you have of getting more rest, or more help from your DH and kids............ hope you can!
Maybe your doc. on your coming visit can suggest something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Hi,
I had a DaVinci and my experience has been similar to the other ladies. My recovery has been like a yoyo - 2 steps forward and one step back (and I've been very careful with my recovery). There is physical healing and mental / emotional healing. Part of my healing process has been the "cancerhead". Not everyone has that issue - but there can be other issues.

I had the upper shoulder and rib pain. I was told it was gas working through the muscles that is injected during surgery.

I can't even image working at 2 weeks. I was still spending a lot of time in bed at that point. I didn't drive until about 4 weeks. I made the decision to listen to my body, not rush the process and accept what I was reading on the forum about the year time frame many were experiencing before they finally moved past the exhaustion. I didn't even try to clean anything in my house for almost 6 weeks. I became good friends with the cobwebs and the dust bunnies as suggested by a hostess on the forum.

I have struggled through the severe sweating hot flashes and chill flashes. I am 3 months post-op and still working with menopause symptoms and insomnia (and I was already in menopause before my surgery).

Remember... you really only get one chance to heal correctly. You can't let your husband's opinions about your health make the decisions for your health.

You may want to re-think working so soon and get back home to rest at every opportunity. Love yourself enough to take care of yourself!

Best of luck on your healing journey.
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I did have to go to work as soon as possible. I work in a two person office in a business open 7 days a week. I love my job and the people and being there does make me happy. It is hard to sit all day even a couple days a week. I would rather be at work most days then home. It is a lot more peaceful at work. I wish I could get more help at home but no one seems to understand or care. I try to take care of myself as best as possible and rest when I can. The hot flashes are driving me crazy. I am going to talk to my Dr about them tomorrow at my appointment.
Unread 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM

I would be exhausted if I had to go back to work. We had our surgery on the same day. I own my own business and have conducted some work from bed but it's mostly decision making and a little computer work, hubby has to go carry out my orders!

The reality is, no one will die if you have dust bunnies. I love my husband dearly but he is cleaning challenged. My house looks horrible and I have been trying to get him to vacuum for a week but it will just wait til he gets to it. He would kill me if I tried to vacuum (which I won't).

I am sorry your husband is so callous. I would take him to your dr. appt. and have the dr. tell him what you shouldn't be doing. I was once married to someone who couldn't address others' needs and I chose to divorce him. My only regret being that I hadn't done it sooner (took me over 20 years).
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM

This does not sound normal to be1 i will be soon you!! I had my partial on the 1oth of Aug and then on the 12th another surgery due to internal bleeding! I t was a sharp pain that I had, so be careful, could be internal bleeding and then a few weeks alter, could not lay down, due to an infection on my stiitch! Now, I have to have my ovary remove casue it fell in my cuff and causing pain! Call your doc, does not sound normal! I'd rather be safe then sorry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register