Scheduled dVH/RALH Will they Biopsy everything?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will they Biopsy everything?? Will they Biopsy everything??

Unread 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Will they Biopsy everything??

I'm just curious to what extent. My uterus, cervix, tubes and possibly ovaries will be removed. She told me biopsy will be done and she'll even check out my bladder while she's in there.

So many questions still coming up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Re: Will they Biopsy everything??

Usually all parts that are removed are sent to histopathology for examination and testing. A report is then sent to your doctor and he will review this with you (usually at your first or second post op appointment).
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Yes, they will biopsy everything they remove. Your Dr will get the results and let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Good to know. I wasn't sure if it would only be done on the cervix where we know there is dysplasia. My family history is strong in breast cancer. But none of them tested positive for the BRAC tests. Its good to know the tubes/ovaries will be tested.
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM

As already mentioned, everything removed goes to pathology for a thorough examination.

If there are cancer concerns at the time of surgery, there is often a pathologist in surgery to provide immediate feedback to the surgeon.
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Yes, they biopsy everything that is removed. In fact, I had some initial pathologies done on my cyst and fibroids while I was in the OR so that if there was anything cancerous or suspicious, my gyn onc could explore further. For me everything was benign, thankfully. But after the initial pathology, they sent all removed organs and tissues for further biopsy. My doc said he has never seen it come back any different from the initial OR pathology, but it is done anyway.

Good luck

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info ladies. My gyn hasn't done any "new" blood work, i'm assuing they are going by my last labs from my primary (from Aug). Didn't think anything of it at my pre-op dr visit. I assumed they'd do the some at pre-op hospital visit...when actually I didn't have to go into the hospital at all for pre-op. It was over the phone.

It's one less worry to know everything will be tested. Regardless of blood work leads.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM

My understanding is that blood does, such as the CA125, is not necessarily a good indicator as many benign tissues can throw off those proteins.

I had two blood tests: CA125 and OVA1. The former came back normal and the latter elevated. Yet all tissues were benign.

The only true way to tell is via the pathology.

(((Hugs))) to you.
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Marestail, thank you for this info..thic may be why they didn't do these tests. Knowing pathology will cover everything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register