Hysto,Bladder, Rectal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysto,Bladder, Rectal Hysto,Bladder, Rectal

Unread 12-28-2001, 03:57 PM
Hysto,Bladder, Rectal

Hi,

I am new to this site - so glad I found out about it. I have a fibroid mass (bunch of small fibroids) in uterine wall. Several doctors have been watching over the past few years - yesterday I had a sonogram - has grown so doctor wants to do a hystorectomy.

I also have bladder issues - have been taking meds for bladder spasms and incontinence. Also have rectal control issues (from a 4th degree tear into my rectum from 1st pregnancy - forcep delivery).

Any suggestions? I am supposed to be going to very good doctors - they want to correct all 3 problems during surgery. I am concerned about many things - recovery especially.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help in asking the correct questions. I do not think they will be taking my ovaries - I can not take the pill (HBPressure when I take the pill or steroids). Do you have to take hormones after a hysto - ovaries or no ovaries?

Surgery should be scheduled around March 8th. I am going to try and work out a bit - get my stomach muscles a bit stronger - lose some weight hopefully. He wants to do incision - says the fibroid is to large to take out vaginally. Is there a better way to do this surgery?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Maddox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 06:16 PM
Hysto,Bladder, Rectal

Hi Helen!

Welcome To HysterSisters!

Sounds like you have plenty of time to research your condition and your upcoming surgery!

Initial recovery after this surgery is approximately 6 - 8 weeks, perhaps longer for the extra work your surgery appears to be requiring (your Dr will advise on time out from work, physical restrictions, etc.) - this does not mean complete bedrest; it means taking it easy, lots of rest, walking around in the house alot, relaxing, and taking extra good care of yourself.

I am sure you will be fine without HRT since you are keeping your ovaries; the ovaries tend to shut down for a time after surgery, but typically they do come back and function normally. There are many alternatives to consider if you do experience estrogen deprivation symptoms that you can research here at www.hormonejungle.com

I highly recommend that you check out the pull-down menus from the home page (click on the three princesses at the top of this page) - this was extremely helpful to me in knowing what to ask the DR, what to plan for my recovery, what to bring to the castle with me, what to expect, etc.

There are also many links to medical sites to help you with your research on your specific conditions. Click here for those links

Best wishes - again, welcome aboard; keep reading, keep posting, and keep us updated!
Unread 12-29-2001, 02:24 AM
Hysto,Bladder, Rectal

Hi Helen,
I had a TVH 6 1/2 weeks ago, and also had a bladder repair and cystocele and rectocele (putting bladder and bowel back where they belonged). Because of the repairs, I had an episiotomy cut, which was probably the worst part of the recovery. Even it, however, was only uncomfortable, not painful, and healed in 2-3 weeks. At 5 weeks I started feeling like I was back on track, and am now shopping, cleaning, cooking etc and plan to return to work next week. From what I've read on these boards, and from the experience of a friend who had a straight TVH the same day, the repairs may have made the first couple of weeks more uncomfortable, but haven't affected my healing in the long run.

I'd strongly recommend having it all done at once. For a start, you only need to subject your body to one lot of anaesthesia (I had an epidural, and found it to be great), and you can get all the recovering over with at once.

With the reapirs, it is really important to take seriously the recovery period, especially the no lifting, pushing, pulling restrictions. However, Dr's instructions should always be taken seriously, shouldn't they! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2001, 06:49 PM
I am there!!

I have just about the same things to correct that you do, the only thing is I have the retrocel and bladder issue from big babies and that was enough to get my doc to give me a hysterectomy.
I am also keeping my ovaries but will be having it all taken out vaginally.
I am assuming you have kids too, I have 3 ages, 8,3,and 11 months, and have to have help, which I have found in a adult niece of mine.
I was just wondering how you are coping with the kid issue since we cant do much after surgery, do you have ample help also?
I have been researching on here the easiest ways to get ready to cope with the recovery.
And it seems that we need a good plan from what I read...
Let me know what you are doing to prepare....maybe we can get ideas from each other?
betty
Unread 12-31-2001, 06:20 AM
Recovery plan/more questions...

Thanks for the responses! I have been reading and emailing women on this site - helping me understand better what is involved.

My children are in school (9 and 11 years old) - I should be having surgery on March 8th (should have a confirmed date this week). My Mom and Mother-in-Law will help - but I know evenings and weekends will be a challenge. I have a cleaning lady that will come every 2 weeks - may see if she can come more often during that time if need be.

My boys will be off for a week a month after surgery for spring break. Not sure if that is good or bad. They are old enough to do many things for themselves - but still want me to do a great deal for them. Will have to see about this I guess.

I have read that you should not do any housework for 6 weeks - what about the mountain of laundry that we have each week? And - my washer and dryer are downstairs.

My doctor wants to do a incision to do my hyster - says my fibroid is to large to take out vaginally. But they took out a 9 lb. baby that way - should I challenge this and ask for a vaginal removal?

Would love to hear comments on all of the above. Thanks for the site and your support!

Helen
Unread 12-31-2001, 09:59 AM
Hysto,Bladder, Rectal

Hi Helen!

It's good that you have plenty of time before your surgery; you will need to plan how the laundry is going to get done without you. Either the boys need a training session, or perhaps you can work something out with the person who will come to clean - or both. You won't be doing yourself or anyone else any favors if you take on this task while you are recovering from this surgery!

About the vaginal, I am not so sure if I would challenge the DR's method choice/recommendation, but you might want to discuss it further to satisfy your mind as to why he feels it cannot be done vaginally; a procedure to remove a mass is not really like the procedure used to deliver a baby.

Keep reading, keep posting! Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register