What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op? What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op?

Unread 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Re: What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op?

I would go, if someone else was driving the day before.
Just ask your nurse if you are not sure.
I would drive up, check into a hotel, rest there...sleep overnight, then go to the concert the next day and then stay overnight again.

If you take frequent breaks, you may be fine.

Just LISTEN to your body.

If you have had any weakness or bleeding, I would say NO.

You never know what can happen with those long rides.
If you go, stop often and walk around.

I would definitely check with my doctor.
I don't see why not, but he or she is your doctor and knows you medically.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

Also, if the doctor lets you go, it is good to know where the major hospitals are in that area in case you have an emergency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Oh! No worries, I'll definitely be talking to my doc. I just won't be seeing him until some time next week for the biopsy.
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM

I didn't know you were planning to drive yourself... No way I could have driven that far. Even sitting in the car as a passenger for the first 5 weeks was torture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Sorry, but I have to agree with the other sisters.
I think you would be very unwise to try and drive yourself that far so soon. Not only is it the meds, but there is the added problem of the strain on your stitches.
Is there anyone else who could drive you?
Sitting in an uncomfortable chair for a long time can make you very sore too.
Who were you hoping to see in concert?
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Bruce Hornsby solo. I missed it the last time 5 years ago.
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:40 AM

Oh Man! That would be a good one. I hope you are feeling up to it, but definitely make it a 3 day trip and take a friend.
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM

Please don't chance it. I took a gamble and went running around 5 days after surgery and started hemorrhaging. After I called the nurse and speaking to her for 20 minutes, she determined I was doing too much to soon. Don't listen to those who say to listen to your body. Listen to your doctor. If he/she tells you to rest for two weeks, take that to heart even if you are feeling better. There is a reason for that!
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitakov View Post
Please don't chance it. I took a gamble and went running around 5 days after surgery and started hemorrhaging. After I called the nurse and speaking to her for 20 minutes, she determined I was doing too much to soon. Don't listen to those who say to listen to your body. Listen to your doctor. If he/she tells you to rest for two weeks, take that to heart even if you are feeling better. There is a reason for that!
I am glad that you wrote in.
An actual person with experience..a bad one.
Yes, anything can happen.
I did say "listen to your body," but I also said to "ask your doctor."

My friend also was doing too much 2 weeks post op. She went driving with her DH to the mountains, of all places. Steep, bumpy, roads, etc. She ended up in the OR, hemorraging, and almost lost her life in the process. She had to have emergency surgery to correct the injury.

Things like this at 2 weeks or less can happen. So can a lot of things, but it is possible to go to a concert at 19 days (almost 3 weeks), spread over 3 days, if her doctor agrees.

I might have been able to do that, since I went back to work in 3 1/2 weeks.

Running 5 DAYS after a hysterectomy is way different than walking or riding in a car 3 WEEKS after a hysterectomy.

Yes, by all means, ask your doctor, and do what he or she thinks is allowable.

"Girls just wanna have fun," but not hurt themselves.
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM

At 3 weeks post op, you are still not out of the woods. At exactly 3 weeks post op I was admitted to the hospital with a deep vein thrombosis. Riding in a vehicle can contribute to blood clots and for that reason I'd think twice about it. I'm glad you'll be asking your doctor for advice.
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Hi,

19 days post-op is really early in your recovery. Everyone heals differently and everyone's experience is unique, but for what it's worth, I had a TLH with no complications at all and didn't even have the energy to leave my house until I was 21 days post-op. By 19 days, I was doing more walking around my house, but I was still napping/sleeping a lot. I also found - and still find - that sitting for any length of time is uncomfortable, as it puts pressure on the pelvic region. My first big outing that involved a lot of driving and sitting put me in a lot of discomfort when I was 4 weeks post-op, and I had to go lie down. So you may find that even if you're healing well, you might just not have the energy. Good luck; checking with your doctor and seeing how you are day-by-day after is a wise approach!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register