Tvh/tah???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-28-2001, 07:17 PM
Tvh/tah????

I just found this board, and girlfriends, I'm sure glad I did. I'm 35, done having kids (hubby had vasectomy 8 years ago), but had been having the periods from hell(can I say that word here?) for nearly a year. My poor husband was almost ready to ship me to Siberia when my family doctor(idiot) put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen and a previously undetected fibroid tripled in size in less than two weeks. I think it's about 5 cm across, submucosal. I didn't even know it was there, but after a consult with the OB/GYN, he seemed to feel that since I was done having kids, severely anemic and sick and tired of bleeding all the time, a hysterectomy was the only way to fix it permanently. After reading most of the posts here, though, it seems like most of you have much better reasons than I for having this major surgery. (Meaning much more severe conditions) I have been taking provera for a week or two and am feeling much better. Should I tough it out and just wait and see, or will it just come back and grow bigger once I stop the Provera? Also, the doctor told me I would tolerate the surgery much better if he does a TVH, rather than a TAH. If that's the case, then why doesn't everybody have them? Is he shining me on? As you can tell, I am totally ignorant of these things and have a lot to learn. I know I should be asking him these questions, but , well, he is a MAN, and I'm not sure I totally buy what he is telling me. Any comments would sure be appreciated.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart (and uterus)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 07:30 PM
Tvh/tah????

First of all, I think most of us would prefer the vaginal hyst if it was possible, but for various conditions, it isn't. My MD started with a laproscopic assisted vaginal hyst, but when he got inside with the scope he realized that my uterus was too large to remove through my vagina, so he needed to convert to the abdominal approach.

It seems to me that you have many questions that you need to discuss with your MD, and possibly seek a second opinion. There is a board on this site called "options and alternatives" (that might not be exactly the name, but I think I am close)!!

My advice is to do lots of reading and ask lots of questions to make the best decision for your situation.

Good luck to you.
Unread 12-28-2001, 10:58 PM
Tvh/tah????

Hi, birdlady! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web for support and comfort and info! I also had fibroids inside and and on the outside of my uterus, probably had 20 cycles of progesterone over 20 years and finally Depo Provera. None of that permanently solved the heavy bleeding with clots (plus 3 pregnancies), and I felt yucky on Depo. So I decided to have a hyst to solve my problems once and for all! If you're getting anemic and feel unhealthy now, I think you will feel so much better after a hyst and the first couple weeks of recovery. Your dr may be suggesting the conservative treatments to buy you some more time, but if you're sure you don't want more kids, you can decide for definitive surgery now. Also, if your uterus is not too enlarged and you don't have huge external fibroids or extensive endometriosis, a vag hyst seems the best way to go. The ladies here who have had that seem to have less swelling and less pain, though the recovery period is still 6-8 weeks. I had an abd hyst because I had unexplained groin/hip pain (from a fibroid pressing on nerves there) and I needed to have the pelvic area explored. So discuss it again with your dr and make a list of questions to ask him at your next appointment. Keep reading and researching, and good luck in your decision. Best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2001, 01:25 AM
TAH Here

Birdlady

I thought I would drop a reply to this thread as I too put up with years of heavy periods, pain, pain and more pain. I hadn't had any investigations done and when I did, everything happened really fast. I had an enlarged uterus (bigger than a football) and multiple large fibroids. At the time of ultrasound the biggest one was over 7cm.

I didn't have a choice. Because of the fibroids and uterus, TAH was the only option. I am now 17 days post op and feeling great so far. I had all internal stitches so no staples or anything to have out. I also had an epidural and general anaesthetic for the op. The epidural was left in for 2 days post op as pain relief as I am asthmatic and have sleep apnea and the did not want to use morphine. The epidural was just the best pain relief and I really think that is why I recovered so quickly. I didn't have any pain for the first 48 hours and then when the epidural was removed, the pain was totally manageable.

Hope all goes well for you.

Regards and best wishes
Unread 12-29-2001, 01:59 AM
Only you know

No one can tell you when the time is right, you will know when you have had enough. I persoanlly tried for one year to resolve things without hyst because I wasn't ready! I finally wanted control of my life not cycles controlling it!!!I have read of many ladies suffering for many years but I said "UNCLE" and at 9 days post tah/bso I am so glad that I did! The waiting is the hardest part by far. Post op pain far easier to deal with than killer cramps pre!!:email: me any time if I can help in anyway.
Unread 12-29-2001, 06:46 AM
Tvh/tah????

HI Birdlady,
i think we all can relate to what you are going through. I will have my LAVH on Jan 16th. I have scar tissue from a ruptured appendix and two small fibroids. My periods were getting very heavy and clotty and just awful. So I do know what your saying.

Now that said. One part of your post concerns me when you said your dr. is a man and you didn't ask him many questions. Was it because you are uncomfortable talking to a man about woman problems or does your mind just go blank when in the office. I have that problem. I walk out of a dr. office and say to myself "why didn't I ask this or that?" I would encourage you to go to another gyn for a second opinion. I went to 3 before I was finally happy with the dr. that I'm scheduled to have the hyster with. She is a wonderful dr. in Michigan. If you live here I'll give you the name. I didn't want anyone cutting on me that I wasn't comfortable with.

Sparkler
Unread 12-29-2001, 07:58 AM
Tvh/tah????

While I can only speak for myself, I was hoping to have a TVH, but after examination the said I was not a candidate because my vaginal canal was too narrow. I totally questioned this because my one ds was delivered naturally. He explained to me that things are different when you are delivering, due to hormones and the way the body changes for the delivery. I was very disappointed because that left only one choice - TAH.

I have fibroids and an ovarian cyst and have been on every single birth control pill on the market to try to stop the heavy bleeding. The depo shot was the worst of them all. I was given 2 shots (they last 90 days). Well I bleed the entire 180 days without stopping. I am taking a combination of estrogen and progesterone (spelling) right now and it seems to help some, but I know it's a temporary fix right now. These problems have taken up 2 years of my life now and that's plenty. I'm ready to be healthy again. I have 10 days until my trip to the castle and even though I'm scared I'm ready for the new me.

Take care
MaryBeth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register