Getting freaked out by possible complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting freaked out by possible complications Getting freaked out by possible complications

Unread 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Getting freaked out by possible complications

I'm reading some of the other sections here, and am beginning to doubt my decision to have the hysterectomy. I really don't want my sex life to be negatively affected, and I worry that I'll have some sort of dysfunction afterward. Does anyone know how common that is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Re: Getting freaked out by possible complications

I know I was very freaked out too, my husband and I were looking things up the night before my surgery even which was 2 days ago. I think if your doing it to get rid of excessive bleeding and pain you will have nothing to worry about. Even though I have some discomfort from the procedure I can feel a difference in my pelvis. I hope that helps and I wish you the best
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Spunky - Remember that the majority of women who post and ask questions on the post-op forums is because they have an issue. There are thousands of other women out there who may only participate in their recovery thread and nowhere else because they are doing just fine. Trust your body to heal well and to do that you must follow your doctor's instructions and listen to your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM

Every woman is different regarding sex after surgery. Some women say it is better, some say it is worse, some don't experience any difference, and every where in between.

I had a TAH BSO - so everything is gone: uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes. For me, intercourse is about the same but I can feel a difference. I have less intense orgasms (I miss the muscle contraction), BUT my orgasms are more frequent. So who knows what the body will do. It is almost as if one thing is gone, and another steps up to take its place.

I do not know if having sexual dysfunction is common after this surgery. If you are concerned, ask your doctor about your specific condition. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Oh, I'm right there with you on this fear! Canceled surgery twice and am just tired of the pain and bleeding. I want to feel better and be a better wife, but I'm so scared of losing my sex life... Or what is left of it now with all these problems
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm only 7 weeks post-op and cleared for sex a week ago, so my perspective is based on limited experience, BUT - I would say it's different. Not better or worse, just different.

On the other hand, I expect we are going to have a lot more of it and it will be more fun and carefree! We weren't very active the last few years because of all the bleeding, or fear of causing bleeding. That caused some stress and I'm looking forward to anxiety free sex.
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

The last 2 years our sex life has diminished due to bleeding, pain and exhaustion. I expect once I recover we'll be like teenagers again. I am only 3 weeks out and cleared to O but no penetration. I have to tell you that is very good. I think my Os are about twice as strong and twice as fast in arriving although a little different without a uterus. Not bad different, just different.

I know that you can read a lot of horror stories but it seems that for many women it improves since they feel better. While some women remain on this site even though they aren't having lots of problems, most women go away after their recovery period is over because they are busy with their new lives. Many of the ones who remain are continuing to have problems.

Every one is different and while no one can guarantee anything, even your dr, I don't think sexual dysfunction is as big of a problem as many people think. In general, I think women who are suffering problems will be more vocal than those who aren't. That's sort of human nature.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM

It's natural to want to know the "odds" that you might experience a particular complication or negative outcome from surgery. Unfortunately, the odds mean nothing IF you happen to be one of those who is unlucky. We have an entire forum here for women suffering from various forms of sexual dysfunction after surgery for a reason: because sometimes it happens, and we need to acknowledge that. Sometimes it can be dealt with in a positive way, particularly through the use of HRTs, and sometimes it cannot. While the majority of women don't have these problems, if the possibility makes you reconsider your decision to have surgery then maybe it isn't time for you to go through with the surgery.

As one who has had her share of difficulties long-term after a hyst/BSO, I have to say that knowing for sure going into the surgery that I had no other reasonable alternative helped a lot in dealing with things afterwards and moving forward. I think making peace with the decision and acknowledging that, good or bad, you're willing to accept whatever outcome you get because you really had no other good alternative is a vital part of preparing for surgery.

Remember, it's not too late to change your mind until you're in the OR. If you aren't sure, do whatever you have to do - talk with whomever you have to - to get to a place where you are sure. Unless you're having your surgery for cancer or another life threatening reason, you have all the time in the world.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register