Made the decision - how long off work? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Made the decision - how long off work? Made the decision - how long off work?

Unread 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Re: Made the decision - how long off work?

I would say it is easier to ask for more time and go back earlier than planned than it is to ask for 2 weeks and find you need more. You can also ask to come back part time at first. I had an SAH and was a slow healer. I ended up with a lot of pain that made it difficult to work from any position except lying down (I put my laptop on a bed tray). I came back PT at 5 weeks and FT around 12 weeks. The initial guidelines they give you are not precise. You may feel great at 2 weeks or you could need some extra time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I had LSH and am at 20 days. I had a pretty uncomplicated surgery and no bad surprises in recovery so far. I currently sleep about 11 hours per 24 hrs. I own my own business and can pretty well control what my duties are and when I go in. Since it is tax time, I need to start working on them. I have deadlines for FAFSA so need to get taxes done so my daughter and I can file for financial aid. I plan on going in on Tuesday to start this. I have a couch in my office and can rest when I want.

If I worked for someone else, my dr. would sign off on 6 weeks off but would let me return early depending on how I feel and what I would be doing.

I agree with Beryl, get as much time off as you can and if you feel up to it you can go back early. Honestly, I don't see how people can go back to even a desk job at 2 weeks. I'm only now beginning to be able to sit for more than a few hours at a time. Because I'm diabetic I am probably a slower healer than others but it seems in the 2-3 week range most people are still too tired and uncomfortable to work for long.
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Dr told me I could go back in 6 weeks, but then had a minor complication and added 2 weeks onto my leave from work,and I am glad I did, standing on my feet all day I was exhausted and tummy hurt, just wasn't use to it. You have to remember you are having major surgery and it will take awhile to bounce back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM

I had DvH which is according to my dr with the shortest recovery. I am supposed to go back to work tuesday which is 3 weeks. I am still hurting and tire so easily. I am extremely nervous about going back and don't feel ready. My plan is to work 1/2 day tuesday, most of wed and then take off thur and fri to rest and ease into things.
I would say it depends on how you heal and what you do. I teach young kids and have a hectic job. i have no place to rest and can't just go home if i am hurting.
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM

I am almost 3 weeks post op of a TVH, and I def get tired easy... Not sure what your job duties are, but I am a Chemical Operator so my job duties include: bending, stair-climbing, and a lot of lifting (at least 20lbs)... I am taking 8 weeks bc with my job requirements my employer totally disables you... We cannot work half days, and there is no light duty... Most employers do not allow an employee to come back to work and risk hurting themselves on the job... It does not matter what kind of hysterectomy you have the results are the same... Either the uterus, ovaries, tubes, or cervix is removed (if not all)... You only get one time to heal correctly, and if you rush you could hurt yourself... Good Luck with your surgery...Just remember no sweeping (which I did 3 days post op and bled for the first time), no vacuuming, no mopping, no pushing shopping carts, and no lifting over 10lbs for the first 4 weeks...
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM

6 weeks for a TVH, rectocele and cystocele repair.
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:10 PM

I was working ft at 12 days post op .TVH no complications .I work at home (preschool/childcare) no infants or toddlers so no lifting kids required.I am def not back to full speed but my parents are happy to have childcare and I have an income.
Were I not self employed another week off would have been good.
Procedure type and any complication can make for longer recovery time before working resumes.
Best of luck to you as you prepare for this journey and welcome to the club!
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM

[quote=zeeredhed;3652513]

I was working ft at 12 days post op .TVH no complications .I work at home (preschool/childcare) no infants or toddlers so no lifting kids required.I am def not back to full speed but my parents are happy to have childcare and I have an income.
Were I not self employed another week off would have been good.
Procedure type and any complication can make for longer recovery time before working resumes.
Best of luck to you as you prepare for this journey and welcome to the club!
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM

I am finding simple things like lunch out and one store to be exhausting so i am doubly concerned about return to work after only 3 weeks.
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM

I am wondering about this exact issue myself.

I am fortunate that I will have Disability Leave while I am out, so I don't need to "rush". But I HATE being bored, so my natural tendency is to get back to normal too soon.

My thought process (for now) is this: Once you go back, people will expect you to BE BACK. You can't work a week and then say, "Whoops. I need more of a break." At least I can't. I'd rather take an extra week that maybe I don't need, then to go back too soon and regret it.

Oh, and I'm scared. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register