dVH/RALH Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort? Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort?

Unread 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort?

I was a runner pre-hysterectomy. My dr gave me permission to start running again at 5 weeks. I had an internal exam on Friday, and tried the world's slowest and shortest jog on Saturday. First of all, I was blown away by how weak my legs felt!! But more frustrating, after all of maybe 1 minute, I was feeling pressure and swelling and discomfort. My friends are expecting me to do a 3 mile run with them on Saturday (there's NO way). I wouldnt say I was in amazing shape before surgery, but I was pretty healthy and active; healthy weight and training for a half-marathon. From the runners out here, who lost their cervix.... Is the swelling/discomfort to be expected at this point (6 weeks in a couple days), and how soon should that resolve?! Any tips for getting going again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Re: Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort?

I am not a runner but I am a walker. The pressure feeling is a sign for you to stop and rest. Your body is not ready yet. I did a bit of jogging after 6 weeks and my body was just fine. I had no pressure at all. So please listen to your body and resume running once the heavy feelings are gone.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM

I had daVinci in April, and removed the ovaries and cervix. My doctor had me wait 10 full weeks before he would allow me to exercise again. At 5-6 weeks, I was still having trouble sitting upright on a hard chair and still needed a daily nap. At 10 weeks, I was fine and had no problem getting back into normal workouts.

Six weeks is still early. Take it easy, take it slow and you'll be fine. Perhaps try something like cycling for a few weeks, which might be less bouncy on your abdomen but still lets you rebuild your endurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM

That's my biggest worry too. Will I lose all my hard work and tone after such a large break. I'm at 3 weeks today and already feel "mushy." I feel great and love my runs. I know waiting as long as possible is best but this waiting is getting to be harder than the recovery.
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM

I was in tip top shape before my surgery on Dec 1st. I did some running, I hiked, I was on either an elliptical or recumbent bike daily, but mostly I cycled on a road bike. I am almost 5 weeks out now...so a little behind you in recovery. I have walked some, but nothing strenuous. But I am having issues in what I assume is my vaginal cuff area. Just an uncomfortable kind of burning scratchy swollen feeling. That feeling definitely makes me feel like I can't ramp up my exercise at all. It is VERY FRUSTRATING. Truly wish I had kept my cervix because I think if it wasn't for this cuff issue, I would be light years ahead in my recovery. I know I won't feel whole again until I can work out. Looks like it could be a while. I miss sweating, lol.
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM

I'm 6 weeks out today from daVinchi where i kept ovaries but no cervix. Also ran Pre-surgery. Started back on treadmill 1/1. Fastest I could go without abdominal pressure was 1.8 mph. It was a slow & agonizing mile BUT it was a mile just the same ) Planning on taking things slow & easy as I remember 60% healed at 4 months.

I was also amazed at how much my legs have changed in 6 weeks. I was exhausted after 1 mile both yesterday & today. It felt great though to sweat! Please take it slow & listen to your body!
Unread 01-02-2012, 11:27 PM

I do a bit of running. I worked on my walking up to the six week point. I think if you are having pain and swelling, you are not ready to run. Leave it a bit longer. Try building your legs up with squats, lunges etc. I did quite a bit of stair climbing in my walking days.
At 7 weeks, I tried a bit of running. I am using the couch to 5K plan, even though before my surgery I could quite easily run 5km. I am up to week 4, and it seems to be working well.
I think the main thing is to listen to your body.
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Runners - getting back into the swing of things; discomfort?

I am with Zany about the C25K. I plan to begin C25K after week 8 (or possibly week 10)
I've increased my endurance so far by walking 5-6 days a week. I walked 1 mile on.week 1, then 2 miles on.week 2, then 3mi. On week 3 and so on. It will be week 7 this coming Wed.and I walk 5miles in one HR and 15 minutes.(adds up to 4.0mph on treadmill) This is quite a workout for me, but I'm glad for now. I can break a sweat. Its a far cry compared to my pre surgery workouts (5K in 30 minutes was a piece of cake, just a comfortable run) but hey, I'd rather wait and be well. But I admit I get jealous when the treadmills around me are going at a real run speed... sigh ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register