Worried about using hormone therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about using hormone therapy Worried about using hormone therapy

Unread 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM
scared of Hrts

Hi ,I am 47 and I had my hysterectomy 12/01/11, had everything removed ovaries and all, Hot flashes are a killer, my doc started me on premarin this week, 4 weeks post op. I am worried about cancer that the hrts can cause. My doctor told me not to worry because I am only getting estregon. but I find it still can cause cancer, cancer runs high in my family. Now I am affraid that if it does well for me and I want to stop them, I have read about having to wean off them and it can make it worse. How many people have tried alternative ways. vitamins and other sorts of stuff to help, what has anyone tried natural that helped. so worried.
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Wink - Worried about using hormone therapy Re: Worried about using hormone therapy

hello! I've been around the HRT block for a year now and I had the same fears of cancer and heart disease because of family history. I have been taking Estraven and it's pretty great except it gives me migraines. I just posted today searching for a magical herbal cure because I hate menopause but I hate migraines more, lol. I have a preteen and two toddlers (all boys) so migraines are not an option for me! I'll let you know if I find anything! I was on Premarin. Good Luck Sister!
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Re: Worried about using hormone therapy

Thanks for the info. why did you come of premarin, I have been on it for 4 days, I havent seen any difference yet . I was asured it was fine to take .
I will keep on reading and maybe visit my natural products store, they are very helpful if I find out something I will let you know. I know about boys and the headaches.. I had 5, 4 boys and baby was the girl she is now 14, somedays it was easier bringing the boys up.. Good luck!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM

I changed medications because my libido was absent, so I switched to estratest. It worked well for my libido but the testosterone seemed to make me feel "pumped up" lol. It messed with my emotions as well, I was able to feel angry but never sad. I shed my first tears Christmas night, I hadn't cried since August 2010! Being without HRT's seem to agree with me because I feel more like myself than I have in almost two years! But I hope to find a natural way to calm my symptoms!
I believe you are right about boys being easier! It's hard to be a young female these days because there is just so much competition and cattiness. My son's poor little lady friend goes through a lot with her so called friends.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM

I was worried too as there is cancer in my family(grandparents) but not breast cancer. For me I have to use HRT. I tried going without and my hotflashes were so bad that I would have one after the other, day and night. I felt like a marshmellow being roasted over and over..lol I also felt like I was going to pass out all the time. Vaginal dryness was a killer too. I do still have endometriosis and I do have pain from that put at this point I can put up with the endo pain better than the other.
I use vivelle dot which is bioidentical(personally I would not use synthetic hormones such as premarin).
i never get a full blown hotflash anymore just an occasional warm feeling that might last a few seconds. That usually only happens when it it time to change my patch. No problems with libido. Do have some sleep issues, but working on that.
Hope you get it all figured out.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM

I had breast cancer that was estrogen positive. The majority of breast cancers are (at least I think so, no stats for that, just from reading the bc boards at two different sites). Many women get breast cancer who do NOT have family histories of cancer. Breast cancer has been linked with other abdominal cancers, as well. IF it were me, and I had cancer in the family history, and now having had cancer, I would not take the HRT.

The risks of HRT feeding any cancer far outweighs any benefits of menopause to me.

I use Vitamin E, Evening Primrose Oil, and Black Cohosh. I can use the Black Cohosh because my doctors said it was ok. I had early stage cancer only in the milk ducts and had a bilateral mastectomy with clean margins. I have very little risk of it coming back.

I am on the fence about the black cohosh, though. I recently added it and don't feel like I am getting any more benefit that just the Vit E and EPO. I may finish off the bottle and stop.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggersmile View Post
I had breast cancer that was estrogen positive. The majority of breast cancers are (at least I think so, no stats for that, just from reading the bc boards at two different sites). Many women get breast cancer who do NOT have family histories of cancer. Breast cancer has been linked with other abdominal cancers, as well. IF it were me, and I had cancer in the family history, and now having had cancer, I would not take the HRT.

The risks of HRT feeding any cancer far outweighs any benefits of menopause to me.

I use Vitamin E, Evening Primrose Oil, and Black Cohosh. I can use the Black Cohosh because my doctors said it was ok. I had early stage cancer only in the milk ducts and had a bilateral mastectomy with clean margins. I have very little risk of it coming back.

I am on the fence about the black cohosh, though. I recently added it and don't feel like I am getting any more benefit that just the Vit E and EPO. I may finish off the bottle and stop.

Does the evening primrose help with hot flashes? I have been using Vitamin E plus lot of other supplements but it did not help with my hotflashes. HAve always heard of evening primrose but know very little about it. Thanks
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks, I am going to the natural products store today and see what they have wish me luck and I will let you know what they recomend.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Hi Jewels - I just wanted to say don't be so afraid of the estrogen replacement. I know it's scary but there is a lot of good it does for our bodies. It helps our bones, brains, hearts, lots and lots of things need estrogen to work well. Estrogen does not cause cancer. It may cause it to grow faster but it doesn't actually cause it. I tried going with no HRT and it wasn't pretty. I was 46 when I had my surgery and I know some women do just fine without but that wasn't me. My mom had breast (at 72) and her mom died from ovarian and I still choose to take estrogen. I just couldn't function without it. My cholesterol skyrocketed, I became very anxious couldn't sleep etc. If it were just about the hot flashes I would have been okay but for me it affected so many other things that I am now worried about when I will have to quit using the patch. If I were you I would look into using a bio identical form and maybe a transdermal vs. the Premarin but if it works for you then great!

Hugs,
Teresa
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM

I am on vivelle dot and am doing even better emotionally than before my surgery. My surgeon specializes in women with cancer, he is a gyn/oncologist. He said he puts all of his patients who have their ovaries removed (unless there is endo) on estrogen. I trust this man which is rare for me to trust a doctor. He has a great reputation and was my good friend's oncologist as well. I have breast cancer in my family so chose to remove my ovaries (which was good because I had cysts it turned out). So don't worry about estrogen causing the cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register