Worried about waking up from surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about waking up from surgery Worried about waking up from surgery

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Worried about waking up from surgery

I have been reading and hearing a lot about the waking up process after surgery because of the medication given. This is really making me nervous and scared. I had a VERY bad reaction to the medication when I had my C-section. I have had prior surgeries and seemed to do fine but they were 10+ years ago.

Can some of you share some experiences about waking up from surgery in the recovery area? Was it good? bad? difficult? Any helpful hints you can give?

I have been told already to have a spinal block if I can.

I go in tomorrow for my pre-op and surgery is in 7 days! Getting really scared, nervous and anxious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Re: Worried about waking up from surgery

Its normal to fear surgery and waking up afterwards and since you had already had a bad reaction it makes it worse. Make sure you tell them at your pre op what happened. I knew when I woke up the anesthesia was going to make me sick so they gave me anti nausea medication which worked to prevent the vomiting. Express your concerns. Good luck.

Tracy
Unread 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Hi Apache0311,

I have very bad reactions to opioids/narcotic pain meds. It's not pretty.

I made it very clear to my doctor that an alternative would be necessary. I also was very clear about it with all the hospital staff and my anesthesiologist.

The anesthesiologist recommended the spinal block and explained the difference between it and an epidural, which I knew I didn't want. I went for the spinal block and was very impressed. The effects lasted for several hours and eased the transition between the IV pain meds and oral. Others here have told of similar experiences.

NOTE: Everyone is different. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain - my experience may not be yours - but here goes.

When I woke up, I didn't have any pain. The nurses kept asking me how I was feeling and urging me to use the pain pump. The first time I hit it was to humor them that I knew how to hit the darn button - they kept bugging me that much.

After a while, I did end up pressing the button a few times, but the pain never got passed a 3 or 4 on a 1 to 10 scale. For oral medication I was given Tramodol and 600mg ibuprofen and it was fine. I alternated between them and eventually transitioned to just the ibuprofen. I understand the pain pump held a narcotic, but that I was also given anti-nausea meds to counteract the side effects - whatever they did, it worked like a charm.

By the end of the first week after surgery I was taking only the ibuprofen as needed and after 11 or 12 days was taking almost nothing.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM

apache - Make sure you tell your doctor EVERYTHING about your previous experiences. And being anxious is normal - having surgery is definitely an unnerving experience.

Mclila is correct in that everyone is different. But, here was my experience:

Upon my anesthesiologist's recommendation, I was given an epidural with general anesthetic. The epidural allowed less anesthetic to be used so I would wake up quicker - that was appealing to me. The epidural also allowed pain meds to be given directly into the tubing so right after surgery so I did not have to worry about taking anything orally. I told my doc that in the past I had gotten sick on anesthetic. She said that the meds had changed from before, but she gave me something anyway to help with the nausea. And it really did.

For me waking up in recovery was not a bad experience. I remember them calling my name and telling me everything was fine and that all was benign. I asked them if it was benign, and they said yes it was benign and everything was fine. They then asked me about my pain level (1 to 10, 10 being the worse pain I have ever felt), and I told them 5 or 6 and that my right side really hurt. They then gave me an injection, and had me roll on my side to get more pain medicine on that side. Then the next thing I remember is that they were wheeling me into my hospital room. (I was in recovery for about 2 hours).

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM

I was scared to death too but I didn't have any previous experience with anesthesia at all. I was put completely under thru IV woke up shortly after in recovery nurses got my hooked up to morphine pump which I ended up being allergic to and had no idea switched me to phentynal? I had itching immediately on my neck arms and face. All while this was going on there was a pipe that burst under a sink across the room and my nurse was busy calling maintenance for a shop vac....I had to flag done another nurse to tell her what I was feeling and they took care of me right away. I then was in recovery for 4 hrs bc they had to wait for a room to available. All in all I was worried for nothing I did however burst into tears when I finally saw my hubby my emotions took over.. Lol. Do make sure u tell them everything. They will ask u lots of questions too be honest bc they ca nt care for you correctly if they do t know. Good luck !!!!
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:14 AM

I woke up and thought I was home in bed at first until I realized there was a bright light above me. A nurse told me my surgery was over, but nothing else. I don't recall pain at first but I did have an urgent desire to urinate even though I had a catheter. Prior to surgery I had been told if I had cancer I would go to the 10th floor and if not the 12th. The nurse who ignored me told the orderly to take me to 12 and that's how I knew I didn't have cancer! By the time they wheeled me to my room I was feeling pain but they hooked me up to the morphine pump and after that my pain never really rose above a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:09 AM

HI

I fully understand your fear, I was TERRIFIED to be put to sleep and I told them that, I was re-assured all will be ok, I had no problems waking up at all, the drugs they use are so different now, had pain but they took care of that right away! It is natural to be nervous, the best of luck to you!
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache0311 View Post
I have been reading and hearing a lot about the waking up process after surgery because of the medication given. This is really making me nervous and scared. I had a VERY bad reaction to the medication when I had my C-section. I have had prior surgeries and seemed to do fine but they were 10+ years ago.

Can some of you share some experiences about waking up from surgery in the recovery area? Was it good? bad? difficult? Any helpful hints you can give?

I have been told already to have a spinal block if I can.

I go in tomorrow for my pre-op and surgery is in 7 days! Getting really scared, nervous and anxious!
There was a small period of time where I was wakening, but not really awake. I kept trying to tell the nurse that my abdomen hurt. LoL

Who knows how long the process was, but soon I was on my way to my room.

My advice to you: Trust that your Dr has your surgery scheduled in a hospital that he trusts. The Staff will take care of you!

Soon, everything will be over with, and you will be recovering gently at home.

Be Blessed!
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM

OH my gosh..this is exactly the same thing that has me on edge about my upcoming surgery. I have had horrible past experiences with waking up...serious nasuea, and very low blood pressure that make them keep me over for an outpatient surgery (I also hate that feeling when you can hear what is going on around you, but you can't open your eyes or move a limb cuz your still just coming out of it).

However, I can attest to the fact that anesthesia has come along way. The past 3 surgeries I've had have been great wake-up experiences.

It is very important to tell the anethesia people that you have major problems and keep repeating it to anyone who will listen, the nurses, your ob/gyn. They can really mitigate the problems.

Good luck!
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

I can totally understand your fear. I myself was terrified of being put to sleep. I always have been. The only other surgeries I had had before my hysterectomy were my 2 c-sections and I had epidurals for those. The morning of my surgery while in preop and after they had my IV started I was so scared I was shaking. Finally I told my husband that if the nurse did not come in and give me my Versed then I am outta here. I was that scared. After the nurse gave me the versed Iv I did not care anymore. I was so calm and not scared at all.
When I woke up in recovery I was very sick from the anesthesia and had a lot of pain, it was a 9 on the pain scale. Once they had my pain pump hooked up and going then the pain came down to about a 5 or 6.
Be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about the problems you have experienced in the past.
Best of Luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register