How much pain from TVH and why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much pain from TVH and why? How much pain from TVH and why?

Unread 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
How much pain from TVH and why?

I feel rather stupid asking this, but I assumed that pain from a hysterectomy would be from incisions (even small ones). Now that I know I'm having a TVH, what will hurt? Does your vagina hurts just from being stretched open for a long time? Are you legs sore? Is it all internal because gee, they cut parts out? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I'm very curious as to WHAT is going to hurt.

I'm not even that afraid of pain. But curiosity kills me.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Re: How much pain from TVH and why?

I had a TVH on Dec 12. When I woke up in recovery, i had really bad menstral type pain. But the pain meds (especially Toradol) worked great!
I had 2 lesions (more like bruises) on each side of my vulva i guess where the instruments stretched me, but they only bothered me for about 3-4 days. No pain for me in my vagina itself. Most of my post op discomfort is internal, lower abdomin area....muscular type. Lots of twinges/pulling sensations. I haven't had to take strong pain meds since about 5-6 days post op.
Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM

They are removing an internal organ - cutting it out of your body - and that is painful. Depending on how they remove it can cause different body parts to hurt. You will probably also have internal abdominal pain.

I had a TAH BSO. My pain was mostly in my abdomen and my incision. The pain meds they provided me worked well, and kept it in the background.

Good luck

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM

I had my TVH in July. My whole pelvic area hurt inside. I also had pain in my vagina (when they take the cervix out they stitch up the end of your vagina). I had a lot of swelling inside the vagina for a few weeks. And like Wendy I also had sore spots on my vulva where I'm assuming they had an instrument widening my vaginal opening. A lot of my pain came from the tissues being traumatized and swollen from surgery. I also had bad bladder pain which lasted a couple months. Quite a few women here seem to have that, I think it depends on how much they move and handle the bladder during surgery. And then there is also the gas pains the first few weeks post op. Make sure you buy Gas X and also stool softener, you will need it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM

Goes to show you how different we all are. I had a LSH on Nov 28 th, with cystocele, rectocele repairs due to a prolapsed uterus. I came home with the slightest twinges, that's it. I had a catheter for 5 days that wasn't fun but it never hurt, going in or out after surgery the cath came out but couldn't pee so back in it went, never hurt. I had 7 small incisions and none of them hurt at all.
If you relax and rest at home you will do fine take pain meds on time. My best suggestion for any surgery is I asked for nausea med before surgery because I was so worried bout getting sick after anesthesia, they put a patch behind my ear before surgery, the best thing ever, when they brought me to my room I was hungry they gave me ginger ale and crackers, that wasn't enough so once they knew I wouldn't get sick they brought a turkey sandwich, that patch was a blessing. Good luck to you
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM

I had LSH. I have pain where the incisions are but deeper so it's probably where they cut through tissue. I also have general pelvic pain sort of like cramping but different. Gas pains were probably the worst and they can be all over your stomach, either on the bowel end or way up near your diaphram.

Because my bladder was a mess before surgery it still hurts but is getting much better. I think it is very irritated.
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Hi Pitcarin73

I had a TVH, and I found that most of my pain was from the internal healing. No matter how the surgeon gets inside our bodies, we all have lots of ligaments cut and cauterized, and there is lots of healing that takes time.

My doctor told me that I had nearly 50 internal stitches, mostly in my vaginal cuff but also where some of the organ removal had been done.

For me, the pain was kind of a generalized overall aching and swelling. No one spot felt more painful than another.

Fortunately, taking my pain medications on schedule helped me stay ahead of the pain, so although there was pain, it was tolerable and I did just fine.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

Unread 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM

I had a TVH, and the first night the pain feels like contractions all night long... It is really bladder spasms bc they use this huge foley catheter... The meds for bladder spasms eased mine off... Other than that I have not really had pain... My back/ pelvic region hurts from tine to time, but it is mostly when I have done too much....I do not have pain in my vagina... After the first night it is not bad at all...
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:31 AM

I could feel something I think was an incision inside, not very painful at all. More of an uncomfortable feeling from being swollen and gas pain the first day. I was off pain meds in 2 days then just motrin as needed.
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM

What I remember hurting me the worst was my hips from the way they have you positioned during surgery. I could feel tinges on my cuff And I'm assuming where everything was taken out but that was it. The hip pain was the worst for me. I stoped pain meds three days after surgery and have not had any complications. I am very glad I did not have my stomach cut open.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register