Scheduled TVH What is the recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the recovery time? What is the recovery time?

Unread 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
What is the recovery time?

Just wondering what is the exact recovery time for a TVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Re: What is the recovery time?

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no 'exact' recovery time for any surgical procedure. Everyone heals differently, there is no way to predict. Some have a completely complication free surgery and heal in record time and others do not.

Rule of thumb: No matter what surgery you have, internal healing can take as much as 6 months, but will be an average 6 to 8 weeks until you feel 90% or more.
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM

I had a TVH almost 6 months ago. I was able to return to work at 8 weeks part time and then graduated back to full time over the course of 3 weeks. I was cleared for all activites at 8 weeks. I am still sore and swelling a lot and unable to wear anything but pj bottoms or yoga pants. Our recoveries vary greatly depending on several favors. I think the "official" number on this site is closer to 80% at 6 months and 100% at 12 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks I think I should have said expected recovery time. Thanks though it does give me some idea. I was going to take a AI course for cows this April. Would I still be able to do that?
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Ah Ha!

At the time of your course in April, you will be 10 weeks or more post-op. Provided you have no complications, I would think so. Ask the Doctor and be sure to follow all post-op instructions - don't push it.

BUT - depending on what the course entails you may want to be careful. Are you going to be working directly with the animals? If so, how?

You may still be a bit tender and want some help handling them. My doctor didn't want me walking the dog on a leash for the first 4 weeks - didn't want any potential tugging. I know my malamute-pony mix is big, but I expect your cows/calves to be bigger and stronger and I doubt they've had obedience training.

Good Luck! Hoping you have a complication free surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM

Yes I would be working directly with cows. They are fairly large in size. I would be working about shoulder level. Could be a little TMI if I went into detail here. But I was really hoping to take this course. Will have to add that to my Pre op questions
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Oh! It just hit me - AI - artificial insemination.

I expect you will not just be working at shoulder level, but be up to your armpits as well. LOL! Sort of ironic - recovering from a hyster to attend an AI course.

Even with the best obedience training, my dog wouldn't let me do that without a fight!

The cows would be confined some and not just on tethers, right? I would think - barring any complications - you would be fine. Just be sure to clear it with the doc first.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM

LOL.. yes it would be up to my armpits. ... Usually they are in head clamps and shute. So they don't wiggle too much. That is just to funny "Even with the best obedience training, my dog wouldn't let me do that without a fight! "

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register