Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 17 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Oh, nothing worse than a craving that cannot be fixed, but I don't recommend walking that far! Think hard-hopefully there is someone you can call to get you some-and I def would not share with spouse since he wont get you any! (if I lived near you I'd go get you some as I'm 4 weeks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1970 View Post
Oh, nothing worse than a craving that cannot be fixed, but I don't recommend walking that far! Think hard-hopefully there is someone you can call to get you some-and I def would not share with spouse since he wont get you any! (if I lived near you I'd go get you some as I'm 4 weeks)
Thanks Kathy
I did a peanut buttet and jelly sandwich instead. I decided would not be a good idea.
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegr View Post
Walking how far? I do brisk walking for exercise in my "normal state" and have been doing a little (walking three houses away and back + around my house and up and down stairs 3-4 times a day)--very wimpy compared to what I usually do. I still get really tired. I am in week 5 now, too, so
I'd be interested to hear how much activity you are doing in a day.
Hi! Well my walking days are done for now b/c we had a big snowstorm -- a layer of ice and then snow on top and I can't risk that!

How much walking WAS I doing? I think in the first week after surgery I walked to my mailbox at the end of our 200 foot driveway and came back feeling like I'd gotten to the basecamp on Everest. Then I just stayed in, or walked my yard a little bit the next few days.

I've been out a half dozen times walking VERY slowly...like I'm strolling...and I'll be out for 20-30 minutes. I also take time to stop and "smell the roses" whenever I see anything interesting. Set yourself a time limit, and make yourself turn back at the halfway point. Your body will tell you, based on fatigue, how much it wants to handle right now. Take it easy! I'm on my feet and walking around the house, up/down stairs a lot now but I take lots of breaks. If the weather stays uncooperative I'll probably head to the Y and try walking on a treadmill for the next couple of weeks. I'll be avoiding the "brisk" part for awhile...it's more getting back into the rhythm of the movement and helping your muscles/organs settle in again, I think, and regaining balance.

I miss my yoga classes and hiking! But we're getting there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Jewel61,

oh how I can relate! I teach Yoga and am feeling completly pathedic today! I'm so blasted tired after the "trip' down the driveway to look at my daughters new car and back inside. UGH!!

HAVE to do steps 2xs a day. Once down (in the morning) and once up ( at night) I try NOT to have to go back to the bedroom upstairs for as long as I can. I'm having a lot of vaginal spasms. Think its the stairs and sneezing so much.....just so tired of...being tired and feeling wimpy!
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:29 AM

I got my Oreo Cookies today!!!! Yay Yay . They tasted so good. I'm good now. Well, my doggies came home Friday afternoon and its been so so having them home. I'm getting a few more twinges of pain on both the left and right side, probaly cause I'm up moving around more by taking them out. I have a Doctors appt 1/17. I have some questions about my incision, tummy numbness and the welps that I've been feeling. So we'll see what happens. Other than that, I'm pretty good. Gas pain are painful and come out of no where. Hopefully , It will all start to get better!!
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Jewel61 if you don't want to get on the treadmill maybe you can walk in your Y's gym. I work for a Y and we have a nice gym that isn't being used all the time and is really nice for walking!
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaqissleepy View Post
Jewel61 if you don't want to get on the treadmill maybe you can walk in your Y's gym. I work for a Y and we have a nice gym that isn't being used all the time and is really nice for walking!
That's a great idea. My Y has a little track running around like a second floor in the big gym they use for basketball. I could try that! One thing I like about being outdoors is the grass/ground feels better under my feet than a hard surface. I was surprised what a difference it made...maybe the hard road is more jarring.

Played the song 'I like to move it move it' and couldn't resist a little dance tonight -- no action in the waist -- and my hubby grabbed my hand after a minute to get me to sit down. Yeah I'm getting a little bit cabin fever-ish around here...I'm going up and down stairs several times a day but I don't do it for "singles" reasons. I add 'em up and then go.

atl2s3xi3, Yay for fulfilling the oreo craving!

Soully, I'm trying to do the mountain pose a few times a day or even just think about my posture and tuck my pelvis under and straighten my spine. That feels great. Also doing a modified "child's pose" by standing beside a table and leaning my folded arms/head on it...stretches out my back just a little and the backs of my legs and feels very restful with no pulling on the tummy. Does anyone know when we can start doing pelvic tilts while lying on the floor? Or doing kegels? I tried a couple of those and thought 1-2 was plenty.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Love my Y! Will be walking there this week as it is going to be cold. Looking forward to feeling strong enough to get in the vortex pool. That's my favorite.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel61 View Post
I'm going up and down stairs several times a day but I don't do it for "singles" reasons. I add 'em up and then go.
Soully, I'm trying to do the mountain pose a few times a day or even just think about my posture and tuck my pelvis under and straighten my spine. That feels great. Also doing a modified "child's pose" by standing beside a table and leaning my folded arms/head on it...stretches out my back just a little and the backs of my legs and feels very restful with no pulling on the tummy. Does anyone know when we can start doing pelvic tilts while lying on the floor? Or doing kegels? I tried a couple of those and thought 1-2 was plenty.
I do the same thing with the blasted stairs. I just pray away the last four....man they hurt! If only 4 less and i'd be super happy
Regarding stretches~ GOOD GIRL!!! If it feels good then by all means DO IT!!! Listening to your body is key!
regarding kegels...WAY different than pelvic tilts! I can do the later but the kegels sent me to close to tears a few hours later! Great idea on the childs pose too!
You can also do a lot of neck, head and spine stretching even if its on the potty to help you relax your bladder!

thanks for replying! i'm really getting cabin fever. Went back to the Gyn with my daughter~ I say last appt with this woman who has made us wait an hour min each visit!! Which then sent us to ultrasound...bottom line it was another 4 hour appt!! Ahhhh. SO tired! Crashed hard when i came home. Now its 11pm and I'm awake....fantastic grrrrr
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:17 AM

I walked past 20 houses in my neighborhood and did lots of up/downstairs yesterday for laundry (carrying a little at a time so not too heavy). Rode in the car for 1 and 1/2 hours (DH and I drove daughter to her boyfriend's to ride with him back to college). Kept busy because I was sad to see her go. This morning my belly is swelly and sore. Guess I overdid it. Snow and ice today--maybe I'm meant to lay low.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register