Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

I turned wrong last night, at least that's what I think happened...maybe just twisted a bit wrong and was in a ton of pain! Am better this morning. However, I'm dealing with endless insomnia and have a sinus infection on top of all this.

I'm a groundskeeper at a cemetery...am supposed to go back to work in a little over a week...I lift over 100 lbs on a regular basis there...I just don't see it happening. I'm freaking out about it.

I suppose...one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Piacesjavagal- 100 pounds sounds kinda scary. (but, I would have a hard time with 100 poinds before hyster too) Can u have your doctor send a note to your employer? How many weeks post-op are you? Don't do anything to endanger your health or recovery.
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie1965 View Post
Piacesjavagal- 100 pounds sounds kinda scary. (but, I would have a hard time with 100 poinds before hyster too) Can u have your doctor send a note to your employer? How many weeks post-op are you? Don't do anything to endanger your health or recovery.
I haven't started back at work yet, but I may have to have my doctor send a note with restrictions on it. I'm afraid of hurting myself. The motion of digging, snow shoveling, etc. I fear may be too much right away.

Just after turning a little farther last night and am in tears right after because it was so painful...I can't really imagine even being back at work yet. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesjavagal View Post
I turned wrong last night, at least that's what I think happened...maybe just twisted a bit wrong and was in a ton of pain! Am better this morning. However, I'm dealing with endless insomnia and have a sinus infection on top of all this.

I'm a groundskeeper at a cemetery...am supposed to go back to work in a little over a week...I lift over 100 lbs on a regular basis there...I just don't see it happening. I'm freaking out about it.

I suppose...one day at a time.
I'm so sorry about the added pain, illness and sleeplessness you are having. Can your doc prescribe something to help you sleep? Is hard enough to cope without being exhausted on top of it. I've had many sinus infections too, and they are horrible. And difficult to get rid of. Are you on antibiotics for it? Re: your job--You could really mess up your insides if you do heavy lifting; you have to heal correctly to get past this. I hope something that is safe for you can be worked out. Hugs to you!
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegr View Post
I'm so sorry about the added pain, illness and sleeplessness you are having. Can your doc prescribe something to help you sleep? Is hard enough to cope without being exhausted on top of it. I've had many sinus infections too, and they are horrible. And difficult to get rid of. Are you on antibiotics for it? Re: your job--You could really mess up your insides if you do heavy lifting; you have to heal correctly to get past this. I hope something that is safe for you can be worked out. Hugs to you!
Thank you jegr! I plan to call the doc about the sleeplessness tomorrow as I've had almost 2 weeks of it, and can't handle it anymore. Maybe get some more pain meds too. Tried ibuprofen this morning, but didn't do it so I took the "heavy" stuff this afternoon. Getting better.

Am on antibiotics for the sinus infection. (day 2 of that)

I hope something can be worked out with my job as well. Maybe I'll need an additional bit of time off yet. We shall see.
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM

What do you do when you feel you're not ready return to work? I go back in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm not ready. I have to reschedule my doctors appointment and I'm hoping tomorrow he will extend my time out for another 2 weeks. I have some days I feel good and some days that are blah!! Insomnia is killing me. I'll wake up at one, two or three in the morning and can't go back to sleep.
I'm freezing all the time, even when its warm outside. So I'm hoping he can answer these questions tomorrow.
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2s3xi3 View Post
What do you do when you feel you're not ready return to work? I go back in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm not ready. I have to reschedule my doctors appointment and I'm hoping tomorrow he will extend my time out for another 2 weeks. I have some days I feel good and some days that are blah!! Insomnia is killing me. I'll wake up at one, two or three in the morning and can't go back to sleep.
I'm freezing all the time, even when its warm outside. So I'm hoping he can answer these questions tomorrow.
Let me know what your doctor says. My suggestion is, if you feel you aren't ready to go back...be it physically or emotionally...let your doctor know! Everyone is different, and everyone's job entails different things. (I'm supposed to go back the 31st - and my job requires that I lift about or over 100lbs on a fairly regular basis - I don't see that happening.)

The insomnia is killing me also. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get some suggestions or something to help with that.

Take care and good luck. (I have the cold thing too...but I still get hot flashes on occasion even though I kept my ovaries.)
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM

I'm really struggling with this.

When I do very little other than prepare myself meals and move from the bed to the couch with an occasional shower, I feel great. No pain. Almost feel guilty that I feel so good. Am having a difficult time with insomnia but that's about it.

So then I start to feel like I could or should be doing more. So I go for a little walk or for the first time yesterday drove a short distance to Walgreen's to get a few items. And then I start experiencing pain and immediately retreat back to bed. And then I start to feel like I'm not moving enough. UGH!!!

I can't decide whether I just need to move through the pain and hope it eventually stops occurring or if I should take the pain as a signal that I should slow down and avoid most activity. Anyone?
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie0613 View Post
I'm really struggling with this.

When I do very little other than prepare myself meals and move from the bed to the couch with an occasional shower, I feel great. No pain. Almost feel guilty that I feel so good. Am having a difficult time with insomnia but that's about it.

So then I start to feel like I could or should be doing more. So I go for a little walk or for the first time yesterday drove a short distance to Walgreen's to get a few items. And then I start experiencing pain and immediately retreat back to bed. And then I start to feel like I'm not moving enough. UGH!!!

I can't decide whether I just need to move through the pain and hope it eventually stops occurring or if I should take the pain as a signal that I should slow down and avoid most activity. Anyone?
I would take the pain as a sign your doing to much and to slow down!!! Remember we've had major surgery and don't want to complicate our recovery.
However, I feel the same way. Today for instance, I feel pretty cool but yesterday was awful. So just take your time!!
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM

I understand your issue. I have lived my life with work thru your pain or no pain no gain. The more I read about this though the more I believe you can not do this. It will only give you more problems. I tried folding clothes and after 5 minutes I am in sooo much pain! Crazy. Still sleeping 12 hours a night. I am 2weeks today

I can't decide whether I just need to move through the pain and hope it eventually stops occurring or if I should take the pain as a signal that I should slow down and avoid most activity. Anyone?[/quote]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register