Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

met a older friend for coffee this morning. Mentioned that all of us are talking about the exhaustion. She is a retired nurse and said " that's because woman carry more fatty tissue and anesthesia hangs on to that. So when you start moving more it is released from that fatty tissue and you feel like a bunch of bricks dropped on your head."

Thought that was rather accurate! she also encouraged me to sleep when my body wants to sleep and stop fighting it. Last word of encouragement was truly it takes more like 3 months then 6 weeks....that is a generality not a rule! Whew! Cuz I know some of us are scared to even go to the 6 week check up. I do NOT feel like any thing or one going inside me is a good thing right now and I am week 5!

Well, hope that helps my sisters!! Heal on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM

My mother had her hysterectomy in 1987 and was off for 12 weeks. She is amazed by how quickly we are all expected to get on and says she is so not surprised by how we feel. She's a bit of a "delinquent" and never does what she's told to do so she didn't take it easy but she said 6 weeks is not long enough!

I was supposed to return to work next week as it's 6 weeks post op but my incision has caught an infection so am off for another 2 weeks. Can't say I'm overly upset by that other than for financial reasons I now have to take it as holiday.
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM

at 10 weeks i feel alot better still having some issue with swelly belly but i totally agree the longer you can stay off from work the better you're gonna feel.i wish i had had better financial situation cause i wouldnt have went back to work so quickly.its like you're fine around house doing housework but going to work and being out of comfort zone really takes toll on your body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

I went back to work at 6 weeks and although i probably could have gone back after 2-3 weeks physically was not ready mentally....been back for 3 weeks now and still out of sorts, still not sure feel like a newbie lol and i am the boss so it is hard, sometimes its ok and next i lose my train of thought so if you are able to take time off take as much as required and heal....i wish there was a solution for all women could take the required time off and have no consequenses financially.....even when you think you are ok then still take it easy listen toyour body and stop if it hurts
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for these last few posts. I know I have come a long way in 3 weeks but I can't imagine being ready to be back at work In another 3 when I hurt after wiping off the counter and start bleeding after half hour on my feet. Once back it will be wam bam 8 hours of busy ness on my feet, and trying to be mentally astute at the same time, then dealing with kids activities, keeping the house going.... Maybe will be surprised, at the next few weeks. I know I heal slow and easily fatigue at the best of times and at work deal with every sick person so if my immunity is not built up I will just get sick right away. I am going to try to listen to my body and request more time if needed even if my doc says I can go back...money is not everything, I know it helps but that is what credit is for. Haha. Spent money a lot stupider ways than giving myself time to heal.
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM

if i was you i would start taking if you're not some good vitamins,iron,vitamin c and try to build immune system up.its really tough that 1st week back @work.it doesnt feel normal at all.i felt like i had been on painful vacation
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM

I just started my vitamin back up....I was popping so many other pills for the first few weeks I had stopped taking any...without decent meals they would have been too hard on the stomach.
I take a b complex, calcium, multivitamin, probiotic, vitamin c and garlic. Or try to take all of that, sometimes miss some day.
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM

It's funny how doctors, insurance companies and our employers set the standard for how long a person stays in the hospital or takes time off work for recovery. Everyone is different, why can't it be based on our individual needs. I consider myself lucky in that I've been approved for 6 weeks at 100% pay and i work from home anyway. However if I'm not able to start back at that time my doctor has to send supporting documentation asking for additional time. A few of my co-workers had hysterectomies (various procedures) they were denied the additional time because the disability company we use said their issues were not serious enough even though their doctors did not release them to return to work. They had to make the decision to return to work or stay home and not be paid. One wound up back in the hospital after 2 days at work.

I am trying to take it easy so when March 1 gets here I am ready, but it's hard not being able to be as active and independent as I used to be. I wish I had the issue of being tired. I'm the opposite. I'm wide awake and full of energy. Days are dragging by and at night I have insomnia! But I'm enjoying being pampered and won't complain.
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM

@ jegr: Yes, I work for a two physician practice (neurology). I was a biller, promoted to clinical research and just demoted I found out while on leave(isn't that nice!) We have to wear coordinating scrubs each day of the week-so we order more expensive ones, but at least I don't have to think about what to wear I guess.

@christinatas: take is easy-I cannot imagine working on my feet like you do.

So far today is my first pain free day except for some minor cramping when out and about. I still sleep till ten, and like christinatas, my biggest worry is getting up and ready on work days-I used to get up at 7am, shower, eat, leave all within one hour-no way can i see that happening, and I am not getting up an hour earlier since I am still up until after midnight, so I'm discussing with my Dr. next Friday of my EXHAUSTION, and also telling him what my job has done to me while I am out, so "dont' feel pressure Doctor to release me" is exactly what I will say! I'm desperately applying to jobs for months now anyway and nothing-ugh.

Today: got up, went out to lunch with friend, took her to two stores (I lol'd at this as I have been having kids drive ME around for all this time) but she just had a c-section a week ago. I found being with her, talking, being out made me feel so great and "normal". I felt the exhaustion coming on, and if I was home I'd of layed down for the day, but I fought it with her help and had a great day. Came home, went through entire closet and sat while doing it while I could, tried on alot of clothes, and bagged up an entire 33 gallon bag to donate that are too big-felt great! And I'm not in my horrible nightly pain so this is my 1st official not having aweful pain day-hope I'm good tomorrow.
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1970 View Post
@ jegr: Yes, I work for a two physician practice (neurology). I was a biller, promoted to clinical research and just demoted I found out while on leave(isn't that nice!) We have to wear coordinating scrubs each day of the week-so we order more expensive ones, but at least I don't have to think about what to wear I guess.

@christinatas: take is easy-I cannot imagine working on my feet like you do.

So far today is my first pain free day except for some minor cramping when out and about. I still sleep till ten, and like christinatas, my biggest worry is getting up and ready on work days-I used to get up at 7am, shower, eat, leave all within one hour-no way can i see that happening, and I am not getting up an hour earlier since I am still up until after midnight, so I'm discussing with my Dr. next Friday of my EXHAUSTION, and also telling him what my job has done to me while I am out, so "dont' feel pressure Doctor to release me" is exactly what I will say! I'm desperately applying to jobs for months now anyway and nothing-ugh.

Today: got up, went out to lunch with friend, took her to two stores (I lol'd at this as I have been having kids drive ME around for all this time) but she just had a c-section a week ago. I found being with her, talking, being out made me feel so great and "normal". I felt the exhaustion coming on, and if I was home I'd of layed down for the day, but I fought it with her help and had a great day. Came home, went through entire closet and sat while doing it while I could, tried on alot of clothes, and bagged up an entire 33 gallon bag to donate that are too big-felt great! And I'm not in my horrible nightly pain so this is my 1st official not having aweful pain day-hope I'm good tomorrow.

Wonderful to hear from everyone. Kathy1970: am so happy for you that you had a great day. Happy 6 week anniversary to you and me!!! Hubby and I had dinner with a friend and lovely ice-cream after. I may be cleaning out closets soon too!

Hope you can make the docs understand. It should NOT be up to insurance companies or anyone else but us who've undergone the procedure to decide when we can return to work.
I SO appreciate all of you here. You have been my salvation!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register