Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 33 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

You weren't being stupid. The doctor never told you what too much walking consisted of. Doctor's can be so vague. It seems like they are afraid to give too much information for fear it will come come back to haunt them.

I've found almost all I need to know from this site. Getting extra info. from my doc is like pulling teeth ( he will answer specific questions I have, just doesn't elaborate much).

I appreciate you sharing this though. The swelly belly is a bummer after all this time, but since it sounds like you already were active before surgery I'm sure you will be back on track in no time. Just take it easy and try not to be too hard on yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM

It has been an up and down week, literally. Yesterday I had to run some errands and take my son to the doctor. Today I spent most of the day in bed with swelly belly. Luckily my spotting has stopped. Is anyone else, at this point or beyond, still having to take pain pills? I am still taking Motrin 800 but it doesnt seem to help as much as I would like.
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Yepb still take dilaudid at night if I overdo it. Like today. Ibuprofen isn't cutting it. I will still take ibuprofen to keep swelling down. Wow I thought I had swelly belly before, today I HAVE it, majorly big. I don't have one of those ab binders, I can't imagine wearing one, my stretch pants feel too tight. I am still struggling with constipation so try to limit the stronger pain meds for that. If you need them, take them, no good to suffer. I tell you, my outing today makes me appreciate my couch again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM

I have had virtually no pain. some swelling but actually into regular jeans 10 days after vaginal hysterectomy. bored out of my mind! trying really hard to take it easy. Any advice?
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM

I am at 5 weeks post op today. Went back to work part time this week and finally am sleeping. Had horrible insomnia the entire 4 weeks at home.
Unfortunately, did pick up a bad cold and sneezing & coughing are not fun.
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM

I had to take narcotics on/off for 8 weeks.didnt want them but had to have for doing too much too soon.dr. Would just shake head and write another prescription but i am glad he did and he was like that.i really do believe this is up to an individual and how they much they keep doing. I had severe ants in pants syndrome &it delayed recovery but now i feel wonderful
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapeach24 View Post
It has been an up and down week, literally. Yesterday I had to run some errands and take my son to the doctor. Today I spent most of the day in bed with swelly belly. Luckily my spotting has stopped. Is anyone else, at this point or beyond, still having to take pain pills? I am still taking Motrin 800 but it doesnt seem to help as much as I would like.
Yep. I'm still taking 600mg Motrin twice a day. Some evenings I take norco/Vicodin.....depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I am really sore a the end of the day. My doctor said to take it. She said nobody is giving out blue ribbons for suffering. Love her!
Unread 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

I just asked my dr at my 7 week what I can and cannot do-here is what he said: can I vacume? "Not really-prefer not. Also don't push a cart or lift anything over ten pounds still-and tell anyone you know who had anytype of hysterectomy to not lift or push for close to 6 months really-most women do too much too soon!" Still no sex for me, and he said only a big maybe if he will let me at next appt in 6 more weeks. I told him no problem-we want me to heal right and we all know I'm a super slow healer, with complications, and now with a hole in the cuff.
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM

i really do believe looking back that every obgyn/ need to have can/cannot do list.i would have never done anything to slow down my recovery cause its not the surgery or even pain from 1st week of recovery that killed me it was the pain of overdoing things AND THEN finding out from dr. i shouldnt have done something.this website has been a complete lifesaver physically but most important mentally ,to be able to speak your mind and place your opinions towards things to help other women.with me going back waitressing @ 3 rd week of a TAH completely drained me for a good month but thank god,i feel now i am above water and now only having small twinges of pain.i know i did waaaaaaaay too much too soon.all of you girls, have helped me so much to know i am not in this alone. i did most things wrong and found out the hard way.i am not stupid but used to doing a very physically demanding life
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM

You are right about docs needing a list of what you should and should not do. I think I am going to tell mine just that. The only good thing he has going on is a hystersister website poster in each examining room.

Well, I tried going to the basement today, one week after my last big bleed. And started spotting again!!!!! It stopped within a few hours of laying down. So back to the couch for the week. Only thing I am going to start to do is walk a little more each day. But the darn treadmill is in the basement and I am tired of doing laps around my old house with little rooms. Lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register