Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

I appreciate the reminder that we have to lie down more to heal well. I have a really hard time not getting up and being on my feet a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM

I'm trying too. I had a LAVH on the 23rd of Decemer. My recovery has been great so far, no spotting, not too much pain.

I do get fatigued easily. I decided to go for a SLOW walk around my neighborhood today, perhaps 1/2 mile. I'm used to running 3 miles a day 5 days a week.

I couldn't believe how weak and tired I felt! Spent the rest of the evening in the recliner with a heating blanket.

I've been doing light chores and a little shopping since I was cleared to drive.

I want to heal properly I have read too many horror stories about pushing too hard and doing too much.
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Hey ladies! I am in Week Four of my recovery, and I just wanted to add my two cents about recovery and rest. I told my family last night that I felt like Jabba the Hut. This whole lie-around-and-eat-bon-bons thing and asking/telling others what to do may sound good in theory, but as for living it, a couple of days max is lovely and then, time to get back and join the human race!

That's what a lot of us feel like isn't it?

HOWEVER...none of us has ever done this hysterectomy thing before. It's a one-per-customer event. Some of us may have had prior surgery which might help bring clarity to the situation we find ourselves in now, but many of us have not.

This isn't about your partner's or your kids' or your friends', neighbors', or co-workers' ideas and thoughts about you and your body and what you should be doing. They may have their opinions, but they're not living with what you are. This is you, your body, your life, and now is the time to step out of the rapids and into the calm waters. For everything there is a season. This is our season of rest and rejuvenation.

So give yourself permission to embrace that season. Most doubters and ignoramuses and well-meaners will follow your lead, possibly with some grumbling, but they will follow. PLEASE rest.

And what is resting? Your body tells you EXACTLY what it needs. If you feel like you have to move a little bit, try it. Getting up and around is very good for you, because you're more than just a space where something was. All the rest of you is trying to hang in there and wait for the hurt place to catch up. Pay careful attention while you're moving, and kick back after a bit. If you feel achy later, what you tried was too much and if you feel fine later, try it again next time and maybe for a little longer. Keep working to find those positions and movements for your body that feel right. If it hurts, don't do it!

Our bodies are the bosses of us right now. The job we are doing for our bodies is listening to them, and letting time go by. Time for healing. We're not getting a promotion or raise for toughness or sacrifice or speed recovery and other miracles. The skills we need for the job are patience, patience, patience. I've learned some humility along the way, and admiration for those who have to deal with physical limitations their whole lives. There are all kinds of strength, aren't there? I am trying to say thank you a lot.

And I am thankful for this site. It's been a godsend. Thank you for all of you and please, please continue to take good care! Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmithie View Post
it really is so hard for us moms to let go up to control sometimes. my husband has been awesome when he's home but he's been working 2 and a half hours each way from the house and has to be in bed super early in order to get up in time to make it to work. and he told me about 5 minutes ago that he should be on this job for at least 3 to 4 weeks... he's in construction. the superintendent on the job has an apartment down the road from the job, we are considering having him stay at that apartment so he doesn't have to spend 5 hours on the road each day at 1,000,000 dollars in
gas. I know financially this would help us out a lot as he does not get paid for gas or miles... physically this is going to be hard for me with to young kids ages 7 and 3, along with 2 dogs, 2 cats and everything in between. I find that I am doing too much now... I wonder what it will be like if he is gone 5 days a week.

it's like you have days that you feel good and then you overdo it and your put 3 steps back again. And you're recovery is on going and it is like it could take months, even a year to feel fully normal again. and I still think it's hard to get that concept that things look good on the outside but the inside is a completely different story as there is so much healing going on still. I am prone to scar tissue from all of my surgeries, I know they removed a ton during my hysterectomy ( also had a mini sling put in and 1 ovary removed)... I'm kinda prone to it. gosh this is a bit of a nightmare... Help. I really don't have family in the area to help so that is a bummer. and I think outsiders just don't get it.

anyways thanks for letting me rant and rave a bit. I'm a little concerned... we need to figure out what we wanna do, any suggestions?

kim
Hi Kim,

You and your husband do have a ton on your plates right now! Little ones all over the place, and I sympathize with your husband's drive. Mine was in the same situation with a job out of town for two years, and stayed in an apartment during the week.

Did I read earlier that your family is all out of town? Is there anyone who could come and stay with you for a few days, or someone from a church, or your kids' school, or neighbors or your husband's co-workers' families who might be helpful with some of the more physical chores or errands that need doing when your husband is away? And someone who lives close by as an emergency responder if you have a problem at night?

Maybe you and your husband could put your heads together and see if you can come up with a list of possible helpers. There are a lot of good people out there who want to help, but they aren't aware unless you ask.

Good luck and let us know how it's going! We care.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottieyunger View Post
T

I was thinking about going back to work this week (week three after a total laparoscopic hysterectomy) - is that crazy?
I'll be going back to my teaching job on Monday 9th. It will be 25 days post-op. I will only be doing 1/2 days until the 27th when I go back full-time.

If Monday is a nightmare, I'll take the rest of the week off but I do have have have to go back on the 15th half-time. I ran out of leave earlier this week.

My right side will have more discomfort on days I have been more active. Incisions look great. When I got into bed last night, I pushed off too much and felt a sharp pain in my right side and it is hurting today because of it. (tall bed)

Michelle
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Wow--it is so great to be able to talk to other women in my situation. Thank you for your thoughts and support!
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM

I know I am not. My husband had to go back to work after the first week and we have 3 kids I have to take care of, ages 6, 3, and 8 months. I get nauseous a lot but I have no choice but to push through it. My 6 yr old helps but not without a ton of mouthing back first. And when it comes to the 3 yr old picking up his toys, if he decides he doesn't want to do it when asked/told all I have to tell him is, you can do it or I can get the broom.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2s3xi3 View Post
So I have gotten up to get me oatmeal Becuz I haven't had a bowel movement since Sunday. So I'm hoping that will get something moving. I plan to stay in bed today and relax, watch tv and sleep. Glad to know I'm not along
My blood pressure was also up. (at my 2 week post-op check-up) I've never had it elevated before. Psyllium husk powder in juice is 100% natural way to help those bowels. (most health food stores have it....you can also get it in capsules but I don't think they are as strong acting.)

Michelle
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel61 View Post
Hey ladies! I am in Week Four of my recovery, and I just wanted to add my two cents about recovery and rest. I told my family last night that I felt like Jabba the Hut. This whole lie-around-and-eat-bon-bons thing and asking/telling others what to do may sound good in theory, but as for living it, a couple of days max is lovely and then, time to get back and join the human race!

That's what a lot of us feel like isn't it?

HOWEVER...none of us has ever done this hysterectomy thing before. It's a one-per-customer event. Some of us may have had prior surgery which might help bring clarity to the situation we find ourselves in now, but many of us have not.

This isn't about your partner's or your kids' or your friends', neighbors', or co-workers' ideas and thoughts about you and your body and what you should be doing. They may have their opinions, but they're not living with what you are. This is you, your body, your life, and now is the time to step out of the rapids and into the calm waters. For everything there is a season. This is our season of rest and rejuvenation.

So give yourself permission to embrace that season. Most doubters and ignoramuses and well-meaners will follow your lead, possibly with some grumbling, but they will follow. PLEASE rest.

And what is resting? Your body tells you EXACTLY what it needs. If you feel like you have to move a little bit, try it. Getting up and around is very good for you, because you're more than just a space where something was. All the rest of you is trying to hang in there and wait for the hurt place to catch up. Pay careful attention while you're moving, and kick back after a bit. If you feel achy later, what you tried was too much and if you feel fine later, try it again next time and maybe for a little longer. Keep working to find those positions and movements for your body that feel right. If it hurts, don't do it!

Our bodies are the bosses of us right now. The job we are doing for our bodies is listening to them, and letting time go by. Time for healing. We're not getting a promotion or raise for toughness or sacrifice or speed recovery and other miracles. The skills we need for the job are patience, patience, patience. I've learned some humility along the way, and admiration for those who have to deal with physical limitations their whole lives. There are all kinds of strength, aren't there? I am trying to say thank you a lot.

And I am thankful for this site. It's been a godsend. Thank you for all of you and please, please continue to take good care! Hugs!
You said it!
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottieyunger View Post
Thanks for asking Beth. I am wondering if I an taking it easy enough, which probably means I am not. I started to feel really good in week 2 and thought I had turned a corner, only to end up in the doctor's office at the end of the week because of bad nausea and only one bowel movement in two weeks.

I was thinking about going back to work this week (week three after a total laparoscopic hysterectomy) - is that crazy?
When did you finally go back. Ive been feeling very good I'm eight days post op. Yesterday my stomack was very painful and I had a lot of gas. Not sure if it is caused by what I ate or overdoing it. Been in bed all day today due to sore stomack. I was planning to go back in a few days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register