Overwhelmed and scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overwhelmed and scared Overwhelmed and scared

Unread 01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Re: Overwhelmed and scared

Okay, at least you now have a date. And I think you are right - they are willing to wait until Feb 23, so they can't be too worried about it.

Keep posting, though. This can be a very emotional surgery, and we are here to support you.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks, jackiej43! I am going to do my best to do exactly that... remain positive and not over-think myself into craziness during the next month or so. Taking deep breaths, playing with my puppies, and focusing on the word 'benign.'

Yes, marestail, I think you'll definitely see me here between now & then. Some days I'm up for reading everything, and other days I really need to take care of myself and NOT think about it. But I well know that being armed with information is better in the long run.

Thanks so much!
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

So... my gynecologist called me this afternoon to say that she and the oncologist gyn looked over my test results today. They both decided that they definitely want to extract my uterus intact, so that they can take a good look at the 'atypical mass'. Laparoscopic hysterectomy is a definite "no".

This was not news to me; I'd been told to expect it. However, what I didn't know is that the surgery date I'd been given (Feb 23) was the first laparoscopic availability. Now that they confirmed it would be abdominal surgery, my date has been been moved up.

My surgery is now scheduled for TWO WEEKS from tomorrow - February 3rd! I'm okay with it, because I'm tired of feeling rotten and want it over with... but in the meantime I'd made a bunch of commitments at work, based on my Feb 23 surgery date, that I'm going to have to back out of. Sigh.

My pre-op appointment is on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Doberde - Okay, sweetie. I am glad you have a gyn onc on your surgery team. They are especially trained in large masses and looking around inside, if there is a problem. It is good that your surgery has been moved up - it will get this done quicker and give you peace of mind. Changing around your work schedule will be a pain, I am sure.

My surgery was also done by a gyn onc. I had a large cyst (12 x 9 x 11 cm) on my left ovary, plus uterine fibroids. My surgery was also a TAH (vertical incision), so that if it was cancer they could take a good look around. The pathology was done right there in the OR. My mass was benign, as well as my fibroids.

Just because it is big, does not mean anything. Take this one step at a time.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM

Thanks, marestail. I am indeed glad that my doc is being very careful and proactive... she knows that she's a relatively new doc who has less experience than some others, so she was VERY insistent upon having an oncologist gyn assist in the surgery to make sure she didn't miss something. That's good by me!

And yeah, thank you for reminding me that a large fibroid/atypical mass could still very well (in fact very likely) be benign. It will be good to get past this.

I suppose I should be happy I have two weeks to prepare, vs. being told I only have 3 days, hahaha!
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM

I was only given 10 days to prepare - not much time. Just enough time to hand projects off to coworkers, get some meals in the freezer, clean the house, do a little yard work (it was spring when I had my surgery), and that was about it. What you get done, you get done, and what you don't you don't. The only important thing here is your health.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Work will wait...your health is more important.

I didn't have any time to prepare...OK one day. I was already in the hospital for an emergency D&C, but that didn't stop the bleeding, and the doctor really wanted me to have a hysterectomy after that. I had a 1 pound fibroid - not even the largest one on the board!

You'll do fine. Cross my fingers and throw some salt over my shoulder for you.

Be sure to read up on preparing you, your house and your family for the fun afterward!
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Thanks, ladies! Yeah, I know my priorities.

One day? Iiiieeeeee!!! I'm glad it all turned out well for you. We'll have to compare fibroid weights when I get back! I'm told mine is equivalent to a 4-month old fetus. Bleh!
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:22 PM

I had spotting back during the summer so I had a transvaginal ultrasound, an endometrial biopsy and an MRI which all came back clear. Then, after my hyster and repairs, the pathology came back with a finding of uterine cancer. I was so lucky to have had the hyster while the tumor was small and non-invasive. I needed ovaries out because of estrogen receptive breast cancer found this past July. (Yes, it has been a lovely year!)

If you keep your cervix you will still need pap smears...ask your doc for her recommendation. Also ask about vaginal vault prolapse that can happen without the support of the uterus. My uro/gyn did a sacral colpopexy as she explained the vag could prolapse like a sock turning inside out. It's good you have a little time to ask questions, read up and wrap your head around all this. I am so happy and fortunate I had my surgery!
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Actually, even if you don't keep your cervix some docs recommend paps still. My gyn onc told me I still needed when I asked. He said they screen for vaginal cancer. But from what I understand the AMA says no, you don't need pap smears if you have lost your cervix.

The best advice is talk to your doctor. I plan to still have them - they are not that big of deal compared to what we have been through.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register