my crazy over prep! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my crazy over prep! my crazy over prep!

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
my crazy over prep!

In bag to take to the hospital for post-op
1. Granny undies
2. Pads
3. Depends underware (i have has friends say they are so comfy after they had babies and 2 a c-section, not sure which i will use but got options!)
4. Sleep mask
5. Ear plugs
6. Night gown
7. size bigger swear pants, big t shirt, and hoodie
8. Tummy pillow i made
9. Mini pillow pet (since everyone mentions them!)
10. Socks
11. Slippers
12. Bandana (to cover messy hair and keep out of face)
13. Hair powder (its something you put in your hair that soaks up the grease, like a dry shampoo! So easy to use. My hair looks like i havent showered in a week, if i skip shampoo one day!)

Things for home-
Grabber
One of those sit up in bed chair pillowish thing
Robe

Things to remember (that i probably wont)
Put chair next to bed and couch to help get in and out
Put extension cord on end tables

Things done-
New socks
Undies
new PJs in top dresser not to bend down to get.

Hmmmm....anything im forgetting. I am over prepared! So glad to be back to crazy busy life. As long as aunt flo doesnt cripple me like she has been for like ever. Ideally since my marathon record breaking cycle seems to havr stopped, ideally if it stayed gone till surgery...... i would be one happy camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Re: my crazy over prep!

Oh and hard candy in my hospital bag too, ya know for dry mouth. oh and chapstick.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoTheLeast View Post
In bag to take to the hospital for post-op
1. Granny undies
2. Pads
3. Depends underware (i have has friends say they are so comfy after they had babies and 2 a c-section, not sure which i will use but got options!)
4. Sleep mask
5. Ear plugs
6. Night gown
7. size bigger swear pants, big t shirt, and hoodie
8. Tummy pillow i made
9. Mini pillow pet (since everyone mentions them!)
10. Socks
11. Slippers
12. Bandana (to cover messy hair and keep out of face)
13. Hair powder (its something you put in your hair that soaks up the grease, like a dry shampoo! So easy to use. My hair looks like i havent showered in a week, if i skip shampoo one day!)

Things for home-
Grabber
One of those sit up in bed chair pillowish thing
Robe

Things to remember (that i probably wont)
Put chair next to bed and couch to help get in and out
Put extension cord on end tables

Things done-
New socks
Undies
new PJs in top dresser not to bend down to get.

Hmmmm....anything im forgetting. I am over prepared! So glad to be back to crazy busy life. As long as aunt flo doesnt cripple me like she has been for like ever. Ideally since my marathon record breaking cycle seems to havr stopped, ideally if it stayed gone till surgery...... i would be one happy camper.
Well, all I can say is WOW! I took quiet a bit also, but not nearly as much as you have packed, lol. The hospital provides you with pads, they also provide you with some mesh type panties. I wouldn't have needed the sleep mask and ear plugs if I had of took them because the pain meds kept me pretty well out of it. I had my own night gown but never put it own, the first 18 or so hours I didn't care/wasn't aware what I had on and the last couple of hours - was like Why change now, I'll be getting dressing in just a bit to get out of here and go home.

Some things I took that I don't see on your list - hair brush, hair band (for pony tail) Peppermints (good for nausea) hand and face lotion, chap stick.

Today is 2 weeks out for me. It will be over before you know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM

I am 13 days post-op from a TAH and spent 3 days in the hospital. I did not bring any pads or underwear....I used the hospital's the entire time I was there and for the ride home. I actually grabbed some extra pairs of the mesh undies because they were so comfortable.

Also, I changed once in the time I was there, from the hospital gown to my jammies. I left my jammies on until I changed to go home.

I had a mini-pillow pet that my son let me use, but only used it on the ride home. I brought my own pillow because I'm a pillow snob, but my room had like 6 pillows for me to use if I wanted to.

Most of what I brought I didn't use or have any need for and I sent most of it home with my hubby on the 2nd day. If there were things that I needed, my husband or parents would bring it over to the hospital for me the next day or later if one of them was coming to visit.

There is nothing I wish I had brought with me and the only thing I was really happy I had was my own jammies and pillow....it made things that much more comfortable.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM

My recommendation is pack as little as possible. I stayed 2 nights and it actually went fairly fast.

Skip the depends. You will most likely have a catheter in when you wake up and the hospital provides the panties (mesh). After the catheter is out, you can wear your own. I took my own pads because the hospital ones are huge and you won't need more than an ultra-thin. Yay!

You will be hooked to an IV for several hours after surgery and the staff will be wanting to check your incision(s). The hospital gowns are designed for easy access and to accommodate changing with an IV. ALSO - I was provided a clean gown whenever I asked. I sweated a lot the first night and the clean gown in the morning and another after my shower felt really good. I was able to shower as soon as the IV came out - after lunch on day one - used the hospital soaps. A hospital robe and slippers were provided when I went on walks.

I wore the same clothes out as I wore in - sweats.

Note pad and pen - to write down questions to remember to ask and then to write down the answers. I took a book, but wasn't able to focus to read. Mostly I dozed on and off, watched a movie and chatted with my roommate when my husband wasn't visiting - Morning mochas and late afternoon chats - Love that guy.

Best Wishes!
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Take some of your own snackies... my hospital food was very low fibre. Take trail mix (almonds, prunes, raisin) fibre 1 bars, your own bran flakes (bran buds or fibre 1) I never saw much besides white bread, corn flakes, white rice etc. My dh brought apples, carrot sticks, pears, bananas and such. He also stopped at a restaurant to bring me soups.
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

I brought a very small bag with me and didn't need most of it. Some hospitals supply things and some don't. I would check when you do preop to see what they will be doing.

I wore a dress (no waistband problems), slip on shoes, sports bra (to allow for swelling. I packed a clean pair of undies. Since my surgery was first thing in the morning I got dressed at home, went to the hospital and took off my clothes so I wore the same clothes home. Beware that your feet may be a tad swollen. I wish I had worn flipflops even though it was freezing when I left the house.

Lip balm (a must)
Hard candy (that was nice)
Toothbrush & Paste (unnecessary because hospital provided)
Shower stuff (I was only in one day so never took a shower, I think they would have provided if I had asked).
Panty Liners (hospitals always have massive pads and I was only spotting)
Ipod (never listened to it but the hospital was unusually quiet that night).
Hair tie (never used)
Comb (used when I got dressed to leave)
Glasses case (to store glasses while in surgery)
Mini Pillow pet (in car for ride home)

Hospital provided gown, robe, grippy socks. Because you will have all kinds of stuff hooked up to you the gowns are easier to deal with. I threw up a lot after surgery and had to have my gown changed a lot, they are designed to be put on with a minimal of movement.

You might want to check on the food that you will get in the hospital. When I finally got solid food it was pretty good and well balanced. Most of my meals were liquid so they weren't very exciting.

The one thing I really wished I had brought was peppermint tea bags. The poor nurse had to have some hunted up for me.
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
my crazy over prep!

There was one item left off of your list and it's one that I felt was the #1 most important purchase I ever made: It's the Swelly Belly Belly Binder from this site!!!
I really felt mine was a life saver. I only spent the night in the Hosp, but I put it on as soon as I was asked to get up to pee on my own. It adds a strong sence of security and makes it 80% easier on your belly and your lower back when you have to get up or sit/lay down. My BB and I were unseperable in my first two weeks post -op. It was truly the only way I was able to start sleeping on my side the first night I was home.
I hope this helps....
~Megs
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM

I did order a belly binder. It hasnt come yet, but its on the way! I know i may be way over prepared, but i guess its nice to know if i want/need it, it was there. And if i dont use most of the stuff. Well, no harm that it was in the bag. I feel so ready for this! If only it was Jan 30th now and i could just get it done with already!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register