Epidural? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Epidural?

I've read a lot of posts where women talk about getting an epi or spinal before surgery. When I went in the first time for surgery they never said anything about that. I REALLY don't want one. I've got back problems and I just really don't like the idea of it. Do I have to have one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Re: Epidural?

I'm unsure of your doc. But mine gave me the option of having general anesthesia or an epidural. I was so set against a epi. myself but my SIL (who is a RN) convinced me of its benefits. I am leaning to ward it but as I am deathly afraid of needles. I don't know if I can do it. That would be a good question to ask at pre-op.
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM

So would you be awake with the epidural? My surgery is supposed to take something like 4 hours so I don't know that I would be able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

No to my understanding they will still put you to sleep, it is just to help with pain management as they put some pain meds along with the normal epi.
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Ah. I can live withou it then. But I'll talk to my oc about it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM

Alaskansinger,

I didn't want an epidural because I don't like the idea of a catheter leading to my spinal chord and the potential problems associated with that. BUT I was offered a spinal block, which is a single injection at the base of the spine - no catheter. After some consideration, I went for the spinal block and it was great.

With the spinal block the anesthesiologist uses less general and - in theory - you wake up faster. I didn't, but since my surgery was in the late afternoon, I just dozed on and off through the night and no worries.

What the spinal block did do for me: It lasts several hours and eased my transition from IV pain meds to oral. I had an almost pain free recovery. I wouldn't hesitate if offered again.

Johdeerecrazy - You shouldn't see the needle coming (at least I didn't) and to be honest, I don't remember a thing after being prepped for it. I think that's part of it's charm.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM

McLila- That is def. one to ad to my pre-op questions. Thanks for making me see the lighter side of it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Belive it or not alot of dr.s do that personally i have panaic attacks and my dr was kinda scared lol he had me put completly under. You have a choice in how they do it choose whats best for you not him!
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM

My doc didn't even mention that option.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM

I dont know what it is but I just have this huge mental thing about a needle in my back. I preferred pain to an epidural having children and don't regret it at all, so I think I will still probably forgo it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register