started bleeding 2 weeks post-op after sex - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

started bleeding 2 weeks post-op after sex started bleeding 2 weeks post-op after sex

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Re: started bleeding 2 weeks post-op after sex

I am concerned for you. I've read a LOT of posts here over the past 6 years and I've not seen anyone have sex at the 2 week mark. I had surgery just 4 days after you and I am feeling mostly OK too but I have barely energy to shower and do basic house things like take the dog to the backyard or throw in some laundry. Sex? OMG, no way. I saw my pics of the vaginal cuff and there are so many stitches and I am so swollen still, the speculum exam at the office yesterday hurt.

I'm no doctor, but I do not see how you could not have popped stitches at this early time. No matter how careful, it was still penetration that introduced bacterium and stuff and you still have open wounds...

Yep, fess up. I'm sure you aren't the only one who has ever done it, but better to get checked out now to see if there is damage than to find it out later and have the fixing of the problem be more difficult. And even if hopefully all is OK, your mind will be at ease, too. But please, start to follow orders. For your own good...

Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

I have researched what can happen if you have a torn vaginal cuff. Google it yourself and look at images. If that doesn't convince you to see your doc and be honest with him.....nothing will.

Better safe than sorry.
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Like Keltec said -

An infection takes time to set in and for symptoms to show. An infection in your abdominal cavity could fester for a while before you notice it and the results could be very bad indeed.

I read a post several weeks ago where a post-op infection kept the patient in the hospital for nearly a month and it was pretty touch and go. She hadn't felt any symptoms until it was almost too late.

Absolutely - get to the doctor. Your doctor is booked, but I would think he would make time for an emergency. Explain to the nurse the exact nature of the 'injury'. If they don't make the time for you, go to the ER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

You've never seen anyone post about having sex that soon?? I had sex at that time more out of ignorance than going against my doctor's orders. My doctor actually didn't say anything to me about sex so I thought 2 weeks was adequate because he told me my recovery would be about 2 weeks with the LAVH. I didn't do any hysterectomy research and only just found this site last night to find out if bleeding is normal. I talked to several friends who had hysterectomies who all had nightmare stories so I was SO thrilled when I didn't have any problems at all! I didn't talk to them about when I could have sex. So none of you bled rather suddenly after about 2 weeks post-op?

p.s. another ignorant thing but i'm going to google vaginal cuff right now. i've actually never heard of that before!! I wish i would have found this site earlier but at least i found it now!!
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Ok, here is the deal.

Yes, some patients do have a gush of blood or fluids around the two week mark. My doc warmed me it could happen but it did not for me.

The problem here is that the normal "orders" are nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks, with any kind of hysterectomy. So, even if it was normal to bleed at 2 weeks, the fact that you had sex makes it very possible that you have torn something inside that caused the bleeding and that is why is important to get things looked at. Now, you could have just popped a stitch and it has healed itself back up, but I would not be willing to take that chance of not knowing for sure.

You may not need to rush over the the ER, but you really should get your doctor to check things out. It will help you not worry, and give you a chance to ask him some more specific questions about your recovery.

I am thrilled that you have recovered so quickly and so well and had so little pain. That is wonderful!
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM

tooEasy - take some time to read the checkpoints on this link. They should help you better understand the healing time-line and what you can do when. NOTE: They are a guide and there are no hard and fast rules - everyone's recovery is different - some faster and some slower.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/mycheckpoint.php
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

am i the only one who never heard of a vaginal cuff?? how did you see pictures of yours?? i haven't seen my dr since the day i left the hospital. i had my stitches taken out by a nurse last week but i don't get to see the actual doctor until friday. well that's my post-op appt anyway. i'm going to go 2 the ER after i learn some more info that i should have already learned so i know what to say and ask when i go in and don't feel like a complete idiot. well i'm going to feel like a complete idiot anyway after what i did but i'd at least like to know a few things about what was done with my body!! i've been on here learning so much since i first posted my first post! thank you all so much!
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM

You may have undone a suture. Go check it out asap!
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM

I had never heard of the cuff until I got on this site, but I did quite a bit of research before my hyst. It took me about 5 years to make the decision.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself. Apparently you were not very informed and if there are consequences you will be the one that will have to deal with them.
Please do some research on your procedure. I truly hope there was no damage done and wish you a healthy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register