LSH Oh but you had Laparoscopic...you should be....... :( - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh but you had Laparoscopic...you should be....... :( Oh but you had Laparoscopic...you should be....... :(

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Re: Oh but you had Laparoscopic...you should be....... :(

I had someone tell me today that they thought I should be back and up in in my TaeKwondo class by now. Soooooo...I actually had the opportunity to use the "well, I'm following my doctor's orders" line (which is the truth), and it totally worked! They had nothing to come back with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM

I had my hysterectomy 1 year ago and I too thought that the lap procedure meant a quick recovery, after all there were only three small incisions. The reality is that there may be three small incisions on the outside there is a much larger incision on the inside and ligaments that needed to be sewn back together. Long story short any kind of hysterectomy is a big deal and takes time to heal.
Unread 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM

HI SL1967-

I am new so, I'm not up on terms yet-
I felt compelled to share on this post. I am almost 3 weeks post op. I did I had my Lap- w/ mocelation as well as right overy removed ( alot of complications with that one) bladder corrected and endo found - ALL fixed.

My surgery was the 22nd and I returned to my desk (light work) on the 3rd. I did not make 40 hours it was a struggle to work 33 at a desk.

Okay- so I returned to work 10 days post op- and One of my co-workers whose husband who had a laparoscopic procedure to remove prostate cancer a week prior to my surgery- Said to me on my 1st day back , " My husband is already on the tread mill" Granted they have no clue on the extent of my surgery and I was so happy to hear her Hubby is doing so well, but at the same time, I knew I looked exhausted, bloated, and less chipper than normal, but wow she really made me feel like I didn't have a reason not to be at the office.

I politely told her I had quite a bit of work done and my surgery was quite extensive. ( I havent been for my Post=Op visit yet) I reminded her that tech. I should be here but, I thought I felt well enough to come to work. Smiled and walked away.

what I have learned- people dont think before they speak
Hang in there,
I strongly second what McLila said.
((HUGS))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM

I was a longer heal, personally. I always am though. You're right, the incisions themselves are not the issue. The shifting that your internal organs have just dealt with surpasses anything that most people understand. Aside from that, the greatest underestimation is the emotional component to the healing. I was only 28 when I had to have mine. Thankfully God had already blessed me with 2 children, but knowing that my hyst was medically necessary due to the severity of my endometriosis and that I would never be able to have another baby was something that was extrememly hard to deal with and process in those early moments. Now, almost 35, I still have my moments. It's hard when your friends around you are still getting pregnant and it's not that you don't want any more kids, but that you physically are unable to. I think that the emotional factor makes our healing harder than some people realize. Whatever your case is, it is YOUR individual case & is not going to be the same as the next person's experience. You listen to your body & screw the nay sayers!!
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM

The method used does not change what has taken place. I am 3 weeks out from laparascopic robotic assisted surgery that removed my uterus & cervix. My biggest issue now is fatigue and stomach tightness & tenderness. We must remember that no one knows our bodies like or better than we do. No one else is going to be laid up after we've forced ourselves to do too much too soon. Please kindly tell people that no one wants you to get back to normal as bad as you do!
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm1 View Post
The method used does not change what has taken place. I am 3 weeks out from laparascopic robotic assisted surgery that removed my uterus & cervix. My biggest issue now is fatigue and stomach tightness & tenderness. We must remember that no one knows our bodies like or better than we do. No one else is going to be laid up after we've forced ourselves to do too much too soon. Please kindly tell people that no one wants you to get back to normal as bad as you do!
So true, Elm. I am kind of down right now. I actually had someone tell me to "suck it up" today. I was mortified! You hit the nail on the head. I so badly want to get back to my absolute normal. I was very active and training for my black belt before my surgery. I have had a slow time healing and although I know I need to still rest to fully heal, it still hurts me to the core when I am told things like this. I have had it told to me more than enough times over the last 3 1/2 weeks.

My response to this person was that I am following my doctor's orders to take it easy and heal. The person told me that they never follow doctor's orders. It's just a way to protect doctors in case you hurt yourself.......etc. Don't be a wimp....suck it up! Part of me wanted to cut loose and let them know exactly what I thought, but I wasn't going to put myself through all of that. I just turned and stared at the wall. I am seriously shocked at the insensitivity of people. I know I shouldn't let it get to me. I know my own body and what I feel comfortable doing or not doing.
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM

I love this thread and am sending hugs to each and every one of you!

I am two weeks out from my surgery today and have the same experiences. Days before my surgery, my SIL told me (in front of the whole family) that a lady she knows was up and serving meals at church only 3 or 4 days after her hysterectomy.

Now that I know the truth, all I can think is what a fool that woman was to have such disregard for her own healing and health! And while I know it wasn't anything but an ignorant comment (SIL has never had major surgery, how could she know), I do feel frustrated because it seems to have set my family's expectations pretty darn unrealistically.

Yes the external healing from lap is less extreme than abdominal, but as so many others have wisely pointed out, no matter how you slice it, a hysterectomy is still a hysterectomy! It is frustrating and disappointing to say the least but obviously we have to be our own advocates right now. Next time I have a hysterectomy, remind me to become a lesbian and marry a nurturing woman first!
I hope everyone is posting from their beds right now!
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Sparrow!!! You SO cheered me up!!!! I love your humor. I really needed that!!!
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1967 View Post
Sparrow!!! You SO cheered me up!!!! I love your humor. I really needed that!!!
Aw, I'm so glad. Thank you for taking the time to tell me, you really cheered ME up!
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM

..I know the feeling. I'm 4 weeks post-op after a Divinchi toal hyst. and just returned back to work 2 days ago. Everyone thinks I'm back in the game full-force (I'm a nurse supervisor) since "it's just a few incisions" and that couldn't be further from the truth..I have never felt more exhausted in my life! I just read my operative reports and if I had known on Friday what I know my body went thru I would have listened closer to my doctor and taken the full 6 weeks off and not felt pressure to return in only 4. Good Luck - and feel better soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register