Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op) Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

Unread 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

I only planned for a sub (with my lesson planning) through this week, so I'm going back on Monday. (9th) I will be able to go back half-time until the 26th when I start back full-time which will be 12 hour days.

I'm nervous about the half-time next week and honestly if I had planned for a sub, I'd have taken all next week off also. I think it is going to be tough. I do three diff jobs at a public school district. I'm only going back to one of those to start with but it may be the most physical one. (early ed teacher)

Part of me is tempted to drive out to the classroom (it is a 30 min commute) this weekend and plan for a sub for all next week and have the doc re-write my orders for all next week off also and then add another week to the half-time work......family medical leave will protect my contract/job. (but we may have to go w/out pay unless other teachers donate days)

But then, I wonder if I'm just nervous and scared about going back half-time. I do still feel pain if I push myself too much. Seems like week 3 has been more trying than week 2 of recovery. However maybe I'm moving more.

What can you share about how it was going back to work? Especially any teachers or those who are on their feet. Did you start half-time?

Michelle
Wyoming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Re: Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

I had a Da Vinci hysterectomy, and I would not have wanted to go back that soon. All I do know, is that it depends on you. If you don't think you can do it, plan for a sub for another week, and then work on going back. I took walks daily to see how long I could stand being on my feet.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Re: Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

Hi! I also had my surgery on the 15th and plan on going back on jan 9. i teach 2/3 but i intend on going back full-time. i'm also getting really nervous! i didn't even think of going back part-time!

i want to go back because i'm limited on my sick days and i want to hold on to the last few for anything that may come up during the rest of the year!

this week has also been more draining on me than last week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM

I had a TAH on Dec 7th and went back to school today...I teach 3rd grade. I did fine today...got rather tired around 1:30ish...and left as soon as the kiddos left...3:05. I am tired this evening...but not miserable...took some ibuprofen when I got home...got the heating pad and am sitting in the recliner with my feet up...on the computer. =)

It was good to be back to normal life today...I have felt so disconnected these past couple of weeks...I rather enjoyed myself.

With that said...early ed...if they are super young...bending down and lifting might be problematic. I don't have to worry about that with 3rd graders.

Am I tired tonight, yes...am I a bit achy...yes...I figure that is to be expected no matter when I went back.

I hope all goes well with you...and make sure when you have down time that you do continue to rest as your healing is not yet complete. Take care!!
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooEasy View Post
Hi! I also had my surgery on the 15th and plan on going back on jan 9. i teach 2/3 but i intend on going back full-time. i'm also getting really nervous! i didn't even think of going back part-time!

i want to go back because i'm limited on my sick days and i want to hold on to the last few for anything that may come up during the rest of the year!

this week has also been more draining on me than last week
I used up my leave for this surgery and being out this week so I will be going into family med leave act. I am hoping others donate days but am willing to go without pay if I have to. I just dont know what to do about next week. I know even if I go back half time next week, I will be there longer than that because I will have people wanting to ask about various cases that I manage etc...

Are you worried about jumping in full days? I know I could not put in my normal 12 hour days next week.

This decision is stressing me out! I have 2 sets of doc orders...One giving me all ofnext week off and the other one giving me half days next week......ugh!

Thanks,
Michelle
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly.hayze View Post
I had a Da Vinci hysterectomy, and I would not have wanted to go back that soon. All I do know, is that it depends on you. If you don't think you can do it, plan for a sub for another week, and then work on going back. I took walks daily to see how long I could stand being on my feet.
Thanks. I may drive out to my roomthis weekend and make plans for next week. Well I will have todo that if I am going to take nextweek off.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwool View Post
I had a TAH on Dec 7th and went back to school today...I teach 3rd grade. I did fine today...got rather tired around 1:30ish...and left as soon as the kiddos left...3:05. I am tired this evening...but not miserable...took some ibuprofen when I got home...got the heating pad and am sitting in the recliner with my feet up...on the computer. =)

It was good to be back to normal life today...I have felt so disconnected these past couple of weeks...I rather enjoyed myself.

With that said...early ed...if they are super young...bending down and lifting might be problematic. I don't have to worry about that with 3rd graders.

Am I tired tonight, yes...am I a bit achy...yes...I figure that is to be expected no matter when I went back.

I hope all goes well with you...and make sure when you have down time that you do continue to rest as your healing is not yet complete. Take care!!
Thanks. My surgery was a week later than yours so if I took another week, it would be similar to your time taken before returning.

My gut tells me to take next week since the early ed class is utterly exhausting. (I taught 2nd grade a few years ago and if I was still with that position I know I'd go back nextweek)

I am sounding like I want next week also, huh?

Thanks for responding and I pray you all do well back in the classroom! I sure miss my early ed students and even my middle school students. Lol

Michelle
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:16 PM

My davinci was done dec 16 and I work in preschool sped and do inclusion in k and 1 too. I can't make decision either but my job is pretty demanding. I asked doc today and we put 17th because my sick days/personal days will be used up. Bit I think I am taking the week after that too just to be safe.i too have to do lesson plans but not a big deal for me. I live 2 miles fr school and my classroom teacher is very understanding. Visited today and kids missed me and ran to hug/Tackle me. I had to side hig some who squeeze hard!
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM

I had DaVinci Nov 22nd. I work with pre-schoolers. My advice to you would be to take as much time off as you need. Your body is NOT ready for 12 hour days, although mentally you are wanting to go back. I am 6 weeks post-op and come home from work with a swollen and achy belly
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Wow! you guys are worrying me! I teach full day Kinder and am planning to go back 21 days out on the 19th. More teachers out there? I had a vaginal hysterectomy on the 28th. I'll be watching to see how it goes with you all. I can't imagine needing that much time, but I still feel kind of cruddy...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register