Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op) Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

I agree with the taking at least 6 weeks off. Even though you might think you are healed on the outside, you are definitely not healed on the inside. I am an elementary school principal and I went back to work at 9 weeks post-op. It was perfect for me and there is no way that I am as active as you ladies that are in front of a classroom day in and day out. Please reconsider if you are one of the ladies planning to return before 6 to 8 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Re: Nervous about going back to teach half-time next week (will be 24 days post op)

It sounds like you really should take next week off. It's only been 3 weeks today and taking off next week will only put you at 4 weeks which is not too much time. Your job is more physical and I wouldn't be able to do a lot of physical work already. Also, you're willing to go without pay and you might even have some days donated so you should give yourself another week. Overdoing it can hinder your recovery!

After reading these posts I'm now considering taking Monday and Tuesday off next week and then going back on Wednesday for a short 3 day week. Working 3 days instead of 5 will help me "ease" back into work. Also, I don't know about you but I'm still REALLY tired! I'm not in any pain but I am definitely worried about my stamina jumping back in full-time.
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM

You ladies are amazing.
I work in a school library with teenagers, and had 8 weeks off. I was worried about coping with them after a much longer recovery period.
Unless you absolutely cannot have more time off, I think you should look after your body for longer.
The internal stitches can take up to 6 months to heal, so you can cause huge long term damage, like adhesions, if you pull any of them by lifting, stretching and twisting too soon.
Please take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM

I decided to go back in 2 weeks - 5 wks post surgery. I think that will be okay. Just gotta get stamina built up and sleep schedule straightened out.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM

4 weeks off seems to be what worked for me...everyone is not that the same...I have always had a high pain tolerance...and have the type of internal drive that "this is not going to keep me down long." I also made sure during my weeks off that I really took it easy...I gave my body a chance to begin healing and healing correctly.

Even though I am now back at work...I am not forcing myself to do anything...pushing myself a bit more each day, yes...but not forcing.

I wouldn't have been ready to go back at 3 weeks...and definitely not 2...wow to some of you!!!

I even wore my regular dress pants today and didn't have any trouble...however, I had swelly belly long before I had my hysterectomy...lets see...never lost that baby flub...and oops my baby is 13 years old. =D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register