Emergency hysterectomy during my c-section....please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emergency hysterectomy during my c-section....please help Emergency hysterectomy during my c-section....please help

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Emergency hysterectomy during my c-section....please help

Hi everyone, my name is Michelle, i'm new here and hoping to find someone else who has been through this to share their experiences, as I'm feeling a little lost....
I laboured 2 weeks before my due date, and on arriving at hospital I was fully dilated but baby was in the breech position. Hospital policy was to deliver all breech babies by section (i'm in the UK so under NHS care) so I was quickly taken to theatre and given a spinal block. All was going well, they delivered baby and my husband held him near to me while they stitched me up.
Then something happened and they were calling for a consultant (registrar did section) and 2 units of blood, and ushered hubby out of theatre to weigh and dress baby with the midwife. I was told I had a 'bit of a bleed' that they were 'sorting out'. Ok fine, I thought, but time passed and they were pulling and tugging at my insides so hard I thought they were removing my entire body's organs. I asked why is it taking so long - the 'bit of a bleed' it transpires was quite a big bleed - somehow, after both the birth and placental removal, my uterus had torn, extensively and through the uterine artery. At this point I began to feel pain as the spinal was wearing off, the room began spinning and I felt incredibly sick. I was told I would have to have a general anaesthetic so they could continue to try and repair the tear, and a hysterectomy may be done but would be the absolute last resort.
The next thing I remember is waking up in intensive care and being told by the consultant that I no longer had my womb.
The bleed was so severe that they could not suture the uterus as it kept 'falling apart' when the sutures were put in. I did not really understand this and still don't. They managed to save one ovary, and I still have my cervix. I had 6500ml of blood transfused in total. All this time my husband was left in the delivery suite climbing the walls with worry, around 4-5 hours altogether.
I am really struggling to come to terms with the loss of my womb at the age of 29 and the fact I very nearly died. I can't understand how my womb couldn't be repaired under what were such controlled conditions as the c-section, how it got so bad so quickly....it all happened after delivery.
The operating theatre must have been pretty fraught as after the hysterectomy I had to go back to theatre for another general to have a retained swab removed from my abdomen!!
I was told afterwards at my consultants appointment that it was the uterus contracting down that had caused the tear but I can't accept this as it would surely be 'floppy' and not stretched to the point of tearing? I asked this question and just got told 'it happens sometimes...' She apologised for the retained swab.
And that's it. Discharged from consultant care and left to get on with it. I feel cheated, angry, but my biggest emotion is sadness.
If anyone can offer me any advice or support or share their experience with me I'd be really grateful, as at the moment I feel so alone.
Thank you for reading if you've got this far!
Michelle x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Re: Emergency hysterectomy during my c-section....please help

No advice but wanted to send you big hugs. It sounds like an awful experience.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM

I'm very sorry Michelle. I have had some experiences in my life that allow me to relate to what your going through. I know this is a very hard time. You have every right to feel confused, angry and sad. Do you have a primary care physician you can speak to? I think you need a better explanation in order for you to process and accept your hysterectomy. I have an enormous amount of grief and anger even though I planned my surgery. It's a very hard thing to process. And to go to hospital to deliver a baby and then wake up from anesthesia and told your uterus was removed would be devastating. I feel for you. It's ok to grieve the loss of your uterus. I hope you find the peace of mind you're looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. One of my best friends had an emergency c-section, followed by an emergency hysterectomy. She and the baby almost died. We forget that one of the most dangerous things we do as women is give birth. Big hugs for you as you heal from this experience.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM

I can't give any advise. But my prayers are with you. I am so sorry that happened to you and after your healed and recovered I would look into it. That explanation would not go well with me either. Big hugs and prayers to you.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Michelle...and

Let me start off by saying I am so sorry that you have had to go through such a tragic thing. We may not all have the same circumstances that lead up to our hysterectomies, but we have all been there. It is okay to grieve. It is completely understandable even for those who had time to make the decision for themselves and prepare for such a loss. It is certainly understandable and expected from someone in your situation.

Just know that you are not alone in this. We are all here to help you through it any way we can. This is a wonderful community of women that are here to listen and offer a "shoulder" to cry on.

It may take some time for you to come to terms with what has happened and that is okay. Just know that you WILL make it through this...and we will be there every step of the way.

Although my situation was nothing like yours, I do feel your pain of losing your womb at such a young age. It has taken me awhile to be completely at peace with that, but I got there and someday you will too.

Sending you and keeping you in my prayers. Please take care and be patient with yourself in the days and weeks ahead. You have a lot of healing to do both physically and emotionally. Again, welcome to our sisterhood and please lean on us for anything you need.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM

chelleapps-please contact hystersister named kdb 1969. She posted a few days ago and had to have an emergency hysterectomy after having twins on Sept 26th. I am sorry to hear about your tragedy and I hope you get connected with her.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I sm so sorry. I had two csections with complications but not to your degree by any means. I understand the need to know why, which is what I would want, too. You should be privy to the surgeon's report. I assume this is required in UK like in US. This report lists all parts of procedure. I would make an appointment or if not possible, call and request a copy. Good luck!
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM

My best friend had the same thing happen to her during delivery...I have been there for her every step of the way... At first she was grieving/ angry... Now she says that she thanks God everyday that her baby was born healthy, and that her life was spared so that she is able to be here with her baby... It is going to be a hard road, but look at the positive end and try not to think about the negative... I pray for you to have the peace that you need to get through this situation...Congrats on the birth of your baby boy, and please keep in touch
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:58 PM

So sorry-sending you hugs and prayers. Maybe contact a lawyer and get a few copies of EVERYTHING from hospital?

My best friend is aware this is a huge chance of happening to her on Jan 16th-she had an ablation a few years ago, and just out of the blue got pregnant and she is now 8 1/2 months, but they keep telling her how she can bleed to death and they will most def take her uterus but they keep saying how she can bleed to death during her scheduled c-section. I'm so scared for her, and reading your story scares me more-I am so sorry for you though, but thank God you are alive!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register