Can I Do This? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I Do This? Can I Do This?

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Can I Do This?

Okay I am now getting overwhelmed!!! I am 25 years old, 2 babies (under the age of two), full time privet university student, part time pre school para, and having my hysterectomy on the 24th of this month. I still have no daycare for my kids (that's for sure lined up); for work or the sugary. Thank God I am have the de vinci method!I have been reading all the My Hyster. stories on here... and have yet to find anyone near my age, with the de vinci, that explained EVERYTHING they went through... but I plan on writing on details on mine after mine is done. Why does this seem harder then it has to be? Between the money, being busy, the kids, my husband, not knowing anything about this, school, work, planning.... grrrr..... I have a few questions I can't seem to find if anyone could answer them
what does the bowl cleansing the day before the sugary intell? what do I need to expect? Will I remember them taking me to the OR, or can they drug me so I don't freak out? How long will I bleed? is it like a period? Honest... is sex any different after? how so? Am I going to feel empty inside? even though they are leaving my ovaries, wont I still have some forms of minapose (sorry bad speller)? anything else I should know? PLEASE!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Re: Can I Do This?

I am having the da vinci on the 10th, and my doc isn't having me do a bowel cleanse. Each doc is different, and I am 38. They are taking everything. A little concerned about menopause symptoms.
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Yes, you can do this. If this is what is best for your health, you can do this. please use this forum to learn. There are some great tips, hints, recovery rules etc on this site. I had a different type of surgery. No bowel prep. But I can tell you that they gave my happy juice before I was wheeled into the OR. By the time they wheeled me in, the "I don't cares" had definitely kicked in.

Your hubby is going to have to step up and be a super hubby for awhile. If you attend church see about getting help from the women's ministry. Can your mom or hubby's mom come help for awhile?

Please lean on us girls. We have been there. We get it.

Hugs to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Good luck! I'm scheduled for my Da Vinci on the 26th of this month, I'm 32 years old. This site has been very helpful to me, I'm learning what questions to ask my Dr. the appointment a week before the surgery.
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Thank you everyone!
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Hello I had a TVH on Dec 13.... I had NO idea what I was getting myself into either... I will be glad to answer any ??? I can... I am only 31 years old myself.... The bowl cleansing is to clear your lower bowel... The lower bowel is in close proximity with you uterus... My doc said it was so it would not "get messy" on the OR table...lol... He called me at 7 the night before and told me I had to do it.... He said use a fleet enema.... They give you some gooood drugs before wheeling u to the OR, but I have a high tolerance to pain meds, and they had to give me more once we got in the OR... I rem getting on the other table, and counting backwards.. You may bleed a lil the night of surgery, but that should be it.... I will not lie the first night for me was horrible... I had bladder spasms all night (felt like labor)...After that everything has been good....I bought the always long panty liners, and they work fine... You will have discharge (no odor).... I spotted one time since my surgery... I cant tell you about sex yet bc I am only 3 weeks out... ...You do not feel empty inside... Your lower intestines fill the void... I kept my ovaries, and I have already ovulated.... I have not had any form of menopause.... You are also young so you should be ok with that... You will def need help with the kids bc u can't lift over 20lbs for 6 weeks... I am just getting released to sweep, vacuum, etc... He told me at 5 weeks I could start lifting 10lbs... The first 4 or 5 days u will for need a babysitter... After that you may be able to make do... If you work I suggest that you notify your employer.... I also have 2 kids... One by C section, and one vaginally... The healing process is not the same, and it is longer with a hysterectomy.... Part of you body will be removed...Good Luck.... Keep in touch, and don't hesitate to ask ??? I hope I helped u
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Hi!! I'm 27 and 2 days post op. I had the da Vinci removed everything except my overies...yay!! I had no pain when I woke up in recovery just discomfort from the catheter. I don't feel empty inside. You'll do great.....but it is scary at our young age. Like i said earlier, I'm only 2 days post op...if there is anything you want to know just ask...
Ill keep you updated as I recover.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannerellyce View Post

Okay I am now getting overwhelmed!!! I am 25 years old, 2 babies (under the age of two), full time privet university student, part time pre school para, and having my hysterectomy on the 24th of this month. I still have no daycare for my kids (that's for sure lined up); for work or the sugary. Thank God I am have the de vinci method!I have been reading all the My Hyster. stories on here... and have yet to find anyone near my age, with the de vinci, that explained EVERYTHING they went through... but I plan on writing on details on mine after mine is done. Why does this seem harder then it has to be? Between the money, being busy, the kids, my husband, not knowing anything about this, school, work, planning.... grrrr..... I have a few questions I can't seem to find if anyone could answer them
what does the bowl cleansing the day before the sugary intell? what do I need to expect? Will I remember them taking me to the OR, or can they drug me so I don't freak out? How long will I bleed? is it like a period? Honest... is sex any different after? how so? Am I going to feel empty inside? even though they are leaving my ovaries, wont I still have some forms of minapose (sorry bad speller)? anything else I should know? PLEASE!?!?!
Hello, dear, I am 23 (had my hysterectomy via Da Vinci at 22) and I can give you a little insight as to how my recovery went. Just remember, its different for every woman.
My bowel prep was two ducolax once a day for two days. The second day I also had to mix a powder with a 64 oz gatorade and drink 8 oz every 10-15 minutes until it was gone. It wasn't pleasant, to say the least. I was kind of an emotional wreck all day... but whatever. While preparing for the OR, they started an IV. At this point they also gave me something to calm my nerves. You can ask them if they don't mention it, but they understand. I do remember going to the OR, as they do not put you under anesthesia until you are there. What I do remember was talking to them while people hustled and bustled around, then I said my arm felt funny just as the anesthesiologist said he just started the anesthesia... the next thing I know, what feels like no time at all later, I wake up in post op. Because of the amount of pain I was in before surgery, as soon as I woke up, I knew everything was going to be okay. I didn't really bleed at all after surgery. The only blood I left was a tiny smear I woke up with from surgery. I also had to keep my ovaries, and I did have a few hot flashes. I had 4 during my initial recovery and 1 shortly after. That's all. I had a few emotional times too, but I just told my hormones to shut up and did something enjoyable. I did not feel empty inside. I did feel like my skin looked a little loose (I lost 10 lbs I didn't have to lose from the bowel prep and surgery.) Sex definitely is different for me, but I am extremely tiny and its always been painful... now its just painful in different ways. It seems whatever positions were okay for me before aren't okay now... but I've had my first real orgasms during sex since my surgery (partly from opening up with my partner and partly not having to deal with the endometriosis pain too). I've orgasmed from masturbation all of my life but never with a partner, but it didn't feel any different to me, pre/post op or alone/with partner. The last thing I would like to say is that however the Da Vinci provides for quicker healing of scars, less aggravation of the area, and a much clearer view of the surgery site, it does not change your true recovery time at all. I think it just makes the recovery time much easier to deal with. I needed the full 8 weeks, but it went so smoothly because I didn't push myself. The few times I still accidentally did, I paid for it, and learned from it... So make sure to listen to your body. It is still a major surgery. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM

That is great information. Thank you so much!! 5 more days and counting. Hystersister's are wonderful women...can't wait to be one myself.
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Thank you everyone this all helped soooooo much! Now that my answers have been answered and all of you showing me such support I am much less wigged out, and back to being excited. I really hope I am one of the lucky ones that loses weight over this LOL. Thank you girls so so so much

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register