Scheduled TLH intimacy after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

intimacy after hysterectomy intimacy after hysterectomy

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
intimacy after hysterectomy

I am having surgery to remove endo as well as a lap hysterectomy in 1-1/2 weeks and am most concerned about how it will affect my sex life, both libido and ability to climax. I had trouble after a D&C almost 5 years ago and this obviously is a much bigger deal. Any advice or anybody else out there worried about this too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Re: intimacy after hysterectomy

I was worried about the same thing before my LAVH... I almost talked myself out of surgery because of this fear. I spent a lot of time on this site, and talked to people until I found the answers I needed. It has been 9 weeks since my surgery and sex is wonderful. I have no problem with climax or orgasm. I am still getting back into shape, so I am cautious, but my husband is very gentle so I have not had pain with sex. However I have been sore the next day a couple of times. I had forgotten how good sex can be after so many years of pain. For me, it was the right thing. I hope you find the answers you need to be confident in your decision.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Everyone is different - there is no way to tell. Some women say it is better, some worse, some the same, and everywhere in between.

For me sex is not better or worse, but different. Climaxes are less intense, BUT they happen with greater frequency. Go figure. We have to use lubricant.

Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM

I am scheduled for hysterectomy Jan 23, it's iffy as to whether or not I will be able to keep my ovaries. I am concerned about intimacy and whether or not "I will dry up like a prune." I am 37 and scared and have put this off for years. Any in site?
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM

It is reassuring to hear from you both that you have not had significant problems. As you said, everyone is different. I guess that is what is hard about all of this (surgery itself, recovery, long-term implications)-the uncertainty. I'm more of a Type A planner person, and this situation is rather unpredictable. I so appreciate hearing others' experiences. Thanks!
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM

I'm still weeks out for intimacy, but it was my biggest concern in having surgery. I looked at it this way, I have missed out on so much these past years because of my periods. Even when I did go to things I wasn't able to enjoy it because of cramps, tons of bleeding, etc. So I told myself that while sex is important, so is the rest of life. I missed out on so much family time, fun time, etc. Heck, I even got to the point that I didn't want sex because I'd cramp and bleed. Hopefully things will turn out fine, but if not, I'm going to try to enjoy what I missed before.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM

So sorry you've had to miss out on so much. I have a lot of pain but fortunately not as severe as you've had. I hope you find not just relief but an opportunity to live so much more fully on every level. Keep us posted!
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM

I had my first post-hysto orgasm yesterday (all external, of course). Only a week out from surgery and I only have half a cervix left due to tumors, but it was still a decent orgasm. Without deep uterine contractions it is shorter....felt kind of like a firecracker with a short fuse that had nowhere to go after a few seconds, but there was still a firecracker! lol I figure that's the worst it's going to get and am very excited to rediscover a fabulous, pain-free sex life with my hubby ANYTIME we want it!

I too am a planner and needed to educate myself to have peace with such a huge decision. These are the materials that helped me the most, I encourage you to check them out if at all possible.

Books:
The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy by Lauren Streicher
Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston
Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal and Hormone Replacement by Elizabeth Plourde (she is actually against hysto so this was a "con" book which was helpful to me in elininating other options and finding peace about hysto as the right option for my situation)
The Rapid Recovery Handbook by Elizabeth Motyka

CD's/Amazon mp3 downloads:
Health Journeys: A Meditation to Promote Successful Surgery by Belleruth Naparstek
Accelerating: Self Healing by Steven Halpern
Music for Healing by Steven Halpern
Peggy Huddleston's Relaxation/Healing CD

Recovery Must-Have's:
Pillow Pet (to hold over your tummy for comfort, sleep)
Belly Band/Abdominal Binder
Hister Sisters Membership!

Unread 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the resources!
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline12 View Post
Thanks for the resources!

Hope they help others as much as they helped me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register