Cold feet or changing mind? Help! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold feet or changing mind? Help! Cold feet or changing mind? Help!

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Re: Cold feet or changing mind? Help!

And good luck to you all. Don't be afraid, keep thinking positive. It's not as bad as it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM

I could have written your post VERBATIM!!!

I'm the same way. I was looking forward to the surgery because of the allure of no more periods, no more ruined underwear, no more sleeping on a doggie piddle pad 2-3 nights a month, no more ruined sheets, no more cramps, no more being housebound during the whole week when I could be taking my kids to the pool (I can't wear tampons due to prolapse). THEN, I started reading - particularly about the sexual dysfunction described by many.

I have a uterine, bladder, AND colon prolapse. However, they don't affect me physically at all. It's just KNOWING that my bladder is just sort of sitting there at the opening where I can see it ready to bulge out makes me unhappy. I have little in the way of leakage. Some times when I switch positions I can feel a little escape or even when I'm running, but generally speaking, it's not an issue.

My periods only last for 7 days, with the first 2-3 days being heavy. Oddly, I can't say I lose a lot of blood - not anything that would cause anemia or anything. But it goes in spurts. I can sit there being ok, and I'll start cramping. How long the cramping last is anyone's guess. Sometimes it's so bad that I have to lay down with a heated rice bag, but more often than not, advil takes care of it. But, this is my first indication that I'm about to get a gush. And I can FEEL it pour out of me and I sit there wondering if it's going to overflow the pad or not. My first 2-3 days are like that. Lots of gushing. It's unpredictable. But not debilitating.

When I started reading about the risk of sexual dysfunction, I was scared. I mean, I don't have the level of issues 90% of the ladies on here have been dealing with. So, I'm not sure, given that I'm not debilitated, whether it's worth the risk. On the other hand, I have a disease that can make my overall health spiral downward. There's no guarantee that if I change my mind in the future that I'll be a good surgical candidate at that time.
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Polkatsx5,
I could have written your post. I am having surgery on the 20th of January. It has been scheduled since the end of October so I have had lots of time to think about things and I too think I am on information overload. I am ready to call and cancel and then my period starts and the bleeding is horrofic and I think I can't wait for January 20th to get here. Then the bleeding stops and I think I can wait, I really don't need this, I'm jumping the gun, etc...... Bleeding starts again and OMG January can't get here soon enough. That alone is enough to drive you crazy!!

I have fibroids and have had terrible bleeding for over three years. My doctor took a "wait and see", your close to menopause, don't do any thing drastic approach. All the while I am confined to my house for at least a week every month or more becasue of the bleeding/flooding that happens (usually unexpectedly at a very inopportune time), I am anemic and my job is stressful so this is a bad combination. finally went to see a new doctor to get a fresh perspective. She wanted to do a uterine biopsy before she tried to do an ablasion. When she went to do the biopsy she found a growth (polyp) on my cervix. That came back benign but the biopsy of the uterus showed complex hyperplasia with atypia. No ablasion but hysterectomy is the treatment. D&C scheduled right away to sample more tissue. That tissue came back better than the doctor expected so she told me that we could wait on the hysterectomy and keep biopsying the uterus to watch the hyperplasia. However that option doesn't do anything for the bleeding which is my main complaint. The hyperplasia just showed up. She said I was still a candidate for the hysterectomy because of the bleeding, anemia, etc... for 3+years.

As the date gets closer I am getting more scared and keep thinking "do I realy need to do this". Am I trading one problem now for a different set of problems in the future?
But, I know that as soon as my next period starts I'll be counting the days to my surgery because I just can't live like that any more. I feel so silly sometimes for being so undecided. I know that I am the only one who can make the final decision because I am the one who has to live with the results.

I hope that you are able to find the answers that you need and in the meantime I hope it helps to know that there are others that have the same doubts/questions that you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks! I have been researching & reading through a lot of these posts. I appreciate the feedback!
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM

I didn't have as many issues as some of my "sisters" either...I just cramped 3 weeks out of the month! You know how they explain menstruation as the "shedding of the uterine lining"...mine felt more like my uterus was trying to remove itself!! Combine that with the stabbing pain and I was ready to throw a party the day before my hysterectomy!! I've had to surgeries in 7 years to try and find the reason for all the pain, so I was basically begging my doctor to take everything (I'm only 34 so he really didn't want to). He left the decision to me, ablation or hyster. After informing me that there's a 25% chance that I would need another ablation, I decided to go with the more permanent solution. I am 4 weeks post op and feel great! The pain of recovering vs the pain I was in before is like comparing a gentle spring breeze to hurricane force winds! Any side effects from having the surgery, I think, are worth taking a chance on rather than going through life in debilitating pain

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register