Anyone Else Self-Employed and Worried About Lack of Income in Recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Else Self-Employed and Worried About Lack of Income in Recovery? Anyone Else Self-Employed and Worried About Lack of Income in Recovery?

Unread 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Anyone Else Self-Employed and Worried About Lack of Income in Recovery?

Hi Everyone,

My LSH is scheduled for 2/6 and I am starting to get really nervous. I am self-employed and will be without income during my recovery (which I am guessing will be around 3 weeks?). I also have a deductible of $3000 to pay so this compounds my worries. The hospital said I could pay this over time. Thank God I have DH's income but we rely on my income too. I have a little in savings but I sure hope this is enough. Anyone else in a similar situation? Advice, support would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Re: Anyone Else Self-Employed and Worried About Lack of Income in Recovery?

I am also self-employed. Thankfully, I'm not busy this time of year but my surgery was scheduled for this coming Tuesday and I just found out last Friday! I've not had any time to prepare and that is so stressful. Preparing for surgery, preparing for recovery, preparing a household and a business are really weighing on my mind right now. I know it will all work out but the thought of losing clients is also a big worry.
Good luck, I do understand!
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm self employed and have a home office. Loss of income and a high deductible kept me out of surgery for almost 2 years until I realized my problems were causing me as much, or more, down time (throughout the year) as the surgery would and my productivity was really affected.

I sucked it up and went for it and, despite the financial difficulty, I'm so glad I did. I feel so much better. Also, because I work from home, I started working as I felt up to in at about 2-1/2 weeks - a little here - a little there - and took naps as needed. I'm finally up to a full day with an occasional nap mixed in.

Best of luck to you both!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

I am also self-employed as is my hubby. So I do understand your worry. Thankfully part of my businesses has a residual income, so that is good, but I do worry about losing clients due to not being able to take care of them for 4-6 weeks. My doctor said yesterday to plan for 6 weeks. I'm a massage therapist and I know last year when I had a cyst removed off my ovary it was a good month before I had enough strength back to do massages again. So I'm expecting it to be a bit longer for this since it's a more involved surgery.

Best wishes to you all! We will make it through this.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm so glad you posted this because I was thinking the same things... :O( I have been self-employed for many, many years and my income is critical to our household. The type of work I do is very deadline-related and I'm getting very worried as to how I'll be able to handle it. A little bit, but not much, might be able to be done 'ahead', but I'm actually creating this huge calendar with all my deadlines and the work that leads up to meeting those deadlines so that I can try to pinpoint the best day/week to have surgery - of course, then I have to see if that fits with my surgeon's schedule, lol or not so lol - I will probably have daVinci, so I'm *hoping* I'm one of the ladies that has a less painful, faster recovery than others, but I know that's kind of the luck of the draw. I also hope that I will be able to work in short spurts (home office) while recuperating so that everything is as seamless as possible for my clients. It *is* a big worry -- along with everything else, sigh
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM

I am not self employed, but hubby is. I only work part time, so time off is a big concern financially. I take care of all of the bills for the horses, dog, chickens etc. My surgery was not expected, and was my second in nine weeks, so no time to save for furture expenses. Because mt hubby is self employed we have a huge deductible. 2012 is going to be a better health year, but also very tight money wise.

Best of luck to you in your surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Hi Keirasix!

I am also self-employed, and have been told by my doctor that I will not be able to work for at least two or three months, since my primary work is very physically strenuous. Last year I had to take two months off work for hand surgery, and now 2012 looks to be even more of a money scramble. I have talked to my clients, and most are willing to hold my place till I can return, but still, not working means no income. While I do have a little money set aside, I am very worried about how I will get by this winter!

In the past, I have been able to get financial assistance with hospital bills from the hospital, but it sounds like you have already looked into that. You might also contact your utility companies to see if they can also let you make reduced payments until you are back on your feet again.

Believe me, I do understand how you are feeling. My surgery is scheduled for the 19th of January, and I feel pretty overwhelmed with all that needs to happen to get ready. I have also decided to accept graciously all help that my friends and family offer - is hard for me, since I am a very independent and do-it-myself kinda gal, but this trip is one that I cannot do myself alone.

I will be sending strengthening thoughts your way
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:37 PM

I am also self employed and will probably be off work for at least 8 weeks after surgery. I have had a couple months to prepare and set some money aside for when I am off but I also lost a couple clients when they found out I was going to be off for an extended amount of time. And knowing that I was going to be off I didn't feel it was a good time to go out and recruit others to fill in the gaps.

It is frustrating but i feel that it's better to "bit the bullet" now and get it over with and start living a "normal" life than to put up with all the inconvenience that this uterus has caused me for the past 3+years. I'm sure healthcare costs are never going to be less than what they are today so why wait? When I am recovered and feel up to it I will probably try to take on a 2nd job even if its temporary just to build my savings back up and to pay off what I will owe the doctors, hospital, labs,etc........ It sure adds up! lol

I guess in a way it is comforting to know that there are others in the same boat as me. good luck to all of you ladies who make your own living.
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM

I am self employed and worked hard right up to surgery (12/20). I have done some work this week and am mostly full schedule next week. I took less time off then I could have but feel mostly ready to return fully. Ready to have my income back.
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Wow, ladies, thank you so much for replying to my post. It does help to know that others are (or have been) in the same boat. It stinks to have to worry about money on top of the physical pain and fears about surgery. I, too, am worried about losing clients. I even have an irrational (I hope!) fear that I will lose them all when I am out. I told my first one yesterday and she responded well. I do have a colleague who will cover for me in emergency situations. Luckily for me I have a sedentary job so I can probably go back within a few weeksvas long as I am "with it" enough. I know we will all get through this somehow. Thank you to everyone for the tips and the reminder that our health is worth it!

I will be thinking of you all and sending positive thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register