Very embarrassing personal care questions. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very embarrassing personal care questions. Very embarrassing personal care questions.

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Very embarrassing personal care questions.

As a big girl who has had a previous spinal surgery that resulted in a pretty limited range of motion I can't help wonder about "personal" cleanliness after surgery? I am most likely going to be having a TAH and keep trying to figure out how in the world is one supposed to keep themselves clean after using the rest room when they have little to no ability to stretch, twist, reach?

Currently it's difficult enough to try and contort ones self to wipe after a BM, or to twist/bend/leg raise to wash those intimate part when showering. My DH assures me he is willing to do what ever may need to be done, but lets face it, this isn't like changing the diaper of a 3 month old. Just the thought of having to ask for this type of help makes me queasy.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice for a worried BBW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Re: Very embarrassing personal care questions.

Hi there, as a 'fluffy' sister, I have some similar issues. I haven't had spinal surgery, and I can see how that would make this even way more difficult :O(.
What I have seen, and will look into if I need to, are types of handle-y things (don't know how better to describe it), that you can attach wipes to (sorry if TMI). They can be found generally in home-health-care type stores, ie, some Walgreen's, etc, or online. They are often in the areas for "helper thingies" for people with severe arthritis, because they too, can't bend, stretch, etc. If you find something specific, please post, and I'll do the same - hang in there, us big-girls need to support each other, LOL -
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Kayla, I'm sure you can find a way to do it by yourself. It is painful to stretch, but nothing wrong will happen if you do. However, if you cannot bear the pain, then I would suggest when taking the shower to use a wet longer towel that you can pull back and forth to be able to clean those areas that are difficult to reach. I personally could never ask my DH to wipe me there...not that he would not do it. He would, but it's too much for me...He already has helped me a lot with many things. Plus, I think that this might destroy all the sexy image I have left in his eyes for me... forever...These are just my thoughts though ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady2bug View Post
Kayla, I'm sure you can find a way to do it by yourself. It is painful to stretch, but nothing wrong will happen if you do. However, if you cannot bear the pain, then I would suggest when taking the shower to use a wet longer towel that you can pull back and forth to be able to clean those areas that are difficult to reach. I personally could never ask my DH to wipe me there...not that he would not do it. He would, but it's too much for me...He already has helped me a lot with many things. Plus, I think that this might destroy all the sexy image I have left in his eyes for me... forever...These are just my thoughts though ....

These are my thoughts also! I am a very independent woman always have been, so the thought of needing this kind of help from any one is just UGH! But, I am trying my very best to be 100% realistic about this surgery and the pain of the recovery from it. At this point in my life its to late to gloss over what might come. So I figured it was time to get up the guts to ask the other big ladies out there if they have any suggestions.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Don't worry too much. I had a TAH with a 7" horizontal incision. My fibroid tumors were numerous, but 3 were bigger than the others. The biggest was 13". They took out 6 pounds of mass ...and my doctor told me that some areas were very vascular so I must have been very "cut" and "stitched" inside...With all this, I was still able to handle my BM sessions successfully with just little and bearable pain. The pain gradually disappeared after about 10 days...So, I suppose you'll do fine.
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Lady2Bug it sounds like we have some pretty similar fibroid issues. My 3 largest are baseball to grapefruit size. With my uterus being the size of a 5 to 6 month pregnancy. (At last check in October).

I missed how much you said you weighed? At nearly 280lbs and with limited spinal motion I all ready struggle with personal care on a good day, which I have very few of these days do to the pain in my right side that keeps me on 800mg of ibu and narco 3 times a day.

I'm glad this is not the kind of care you have ever had to ask for, but I know for a good week or more after my spinal surgery this is probably something I should have asked for help with. So any surgery involving lady bits? Just seems like there should be some advice for us big ladies. Don't they train nurses/CNAs etc how to help elderly or bed bound patients with this? Shouldn't there be a video or article some where that my care providers could watch/read just in case worst comes to worst?
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM

I agree with going online (or in person) to look at personal care aids. They have sort of reacher holders for TP for if you have limited mobility. Also for bathing a hand held shower is a must. You can get them at any home store, the kind where you unscrew the showerhead and replace it with one that has a handheld part, often in addition to the regular kind. Anyone could install it for you easily. I've also seen bidet setups in online health care aid catalogs and you might check that out. You are smart to plan ahead. Those self care aids can be a godsend, I've gotten things for family after various surgeries. Personally I'd look online since I think there is more variety of products there. I'm sure you will find what you need there. People don't talk a lot about it, but hygiene is important and that's why they sell the aids, I think they should be better known. Good luck, and best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:56 PM

I had a TAH 5 weeks ago. The issue is same for all with the incision and pain. I received a box of personal wipes in the hospital. I would wrap this around some tp after a bm. In the shower at the hospital (was there 5 nights and 6 days bc of complications) I took off the shower and used the hose. I also requested a 'peri bottle' from nurse. It is just a squirt bottle they use with women who have just had a baby, which I recalled using after my csections. Fill it with warm soapy water. All of these things helped me to feel clean and i.dependent because I refused to have my poor hubby or,some nurse in the bathroom with me. I did require some,help on day 1 with my bra. I cannot be braless or I get back pain. I bought two sports bras with zippers in the front. I had to move this around iv but it helped that I just had to slip it on. Pulling,clothes over your head is painful.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM

My mother has to use one of those, I found it on amazon.com for about 7$ .I think it was called a "long reach comfort wipe".? She found that it worked well. HTH I know from dealing with my mom that that could be a very embarrassing thing to deal with.
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:53 AM

Thank you for the advice on where to start looking. Amazon is pretty amazing and having the name of the product was a huge help! I think the "peri bottle" idea is a pretty darned good one too.

THANK YOU

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register