Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs

Well, I had my total vag hyst removing both ovaries on December 6th, and have had major issues with my lower back and legs, radiating downward to my feet. I return to work in a week (in a sitting position) and don't know if I'll be able to go full time. I cannot walk for very long or sit for very long. I have to alternate between sitting and lying down. The hyst itself is not the problem, but the back itself is a major pain. My GYN started me on a steroid pack today, and I stay on either a 'heat patch' or a heating pad. Any words of wisdom? I am miserable!

Thanks in advance-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Re: Help!

Hi Oldest,

I'm just brain storming here, 'casue I really have no idea. My fibroids caused all kinds of back and pelvic pain, but they are gone now.

I'm thinking pinched or damaged nerves. I'd suggest chiropractic except for the only 4 weeks post-op part. That probably wouldn't be a great idea right now.

What kind of anesthesia did you have? I read a post ages ago about epidural complications causing leg problems - it's not common - but not unheard of.

Adhesions? Is it too soon for them to form and be causing problems?

I hope someone out there has an answer for you - fingers crossed.
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldest of 5 View Post
Well, I had my total vag hyst removing both ovaries on December 6th, and have had major issues with my lower back and legs, radiating downward to my feet. I return to work in a week (in a sitting position) and don't know if I'll be able to go full time. I cannot walk for very long or sit for very long. I have to alternate between sitting and lying down. The hyst itself is not the problem, but the back itself is a major pain. My GYN started me on a steroid pack today, and I stay on either a 'heat patch' or a heating pad. Any words of wisdom? I am miserable!

Thanks in advance-
I too had my hysterectomy Dec 6, I had the same problem at week 2 post op. I could hardly stand due to the pain. I didn't know what it was til I literally could not stand up to use the restroom and my husband had to carry me by the waist. Some how when he picked me up the pain was gone. I then realized it was a pinched nerve. Hope it gets better for you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 01:04 AM

I am so sorry you are in such pain.

I returned to work about 6 weeks after my SAH and could have used another few weeks at home. One thing that helped me tremendously at my desk job: a foot-rest that elevated my feet about 6 inches off the ground. In a pinch, I used a cardboard shoe box. I am not sure why it worked, but it took alot of pressure off and made all the difference in my being able to work at all. I used it daily for over 2 months post-surgery.

Hope you feel better soon,
Loretta
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:40 AM

I agree with loretta about elevating your feet. I have had back issues for years and sometimes even moving my hips wrong or having weight on my lap can send shooting pains down my back and legs. Somehow keeping your feet on a footstool takes a little pressure out of that low back area. However lifting your feet too high like say putting them up on the coffee table can pinch that sciatic nerve even more. When standing it sometimes helps me to keep all my weight on one leg/foot and then alternate to the other side rather than keeping my weight evenly distributed which can feel painful. And lastly I'd recommend to keep a small firm pillow placed in the small of your back when sitting and try to use your very best posture. Hopefully your chair has good back support. Open back chairs will cause the pain to increase. Good luck! And if you don't feel ready to work yet I would really say don't push it too soon! Those nerves are healing and hopefully are only a short term issue
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Re: Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs

Thank you to all my new sisters for your willingness to share, and help alleviate some of my anxiety. It is such a relief to know I'm not crazy! I know it's a slow process, and, for the most part, I'm great. I believe it's just knowing its time to go back to work, and this back thing is lingering!
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Re: Help! Major issues with my lower back and legs

I also had back pain. You may want to try physical therapy. They can give you exercises to do and will also use, ultrasound, hot/cold pacs, etc. It is much gentler than a chiropracter.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register