Scheduled TAH Extremely nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extremely nervous Extremely nervous

Unread 01-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Extremely nervous

My TAH is scheduled for 1/12/12. I am so nervous and anxious. I am NOT sleeping and I can think of nothing else but the surgery. I am a big baby when it comes to pain. Plus I am terrified of being put to sleep. I have no idea what to expect. I have 4 children, an 11 year old son, 9 year old daughter, 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old daughter. My mom is coming to stay with me and take care of me and my family during recovery (not sure how long she should stay). I could use all the encouragement you guys can give!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Re: Extremely nervous

Hey it is normal to feel this way, I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I was terrified!!!!! I also was terrified to be put to sleep and was told it is a very common fear! I was reassured that all would be fine and it was!

Take advantage of your Mom being with you, don't worry about pain the pain meds will take care of that and all you want to do is sleep for the first week anyways.

Good luck to you and seriously it is nothing to fear!
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:49 AM

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 03:42 AM

My surgery is a few days after yours and I'm up all night too, anxious.

I've been sedated a couple of times now, once for sinus surgery last spring and again last month when I had a D&C & a tubal ligation (when they found the endo). The hardest part I found about being sedated was getting the IV started at the first surgery and answering "What are you here for?" to what seemed like 20 different people who all came at different times at both of them.

The first time, I was awake while I was taken into the OR. I scooted onto the operating table under my own power and a mask was put over my face. That's all I remember, not even what the gas smelled like. Last month, I was given a shot to relax me in the IV as I was wheeled out of the surgery prep room. I don't remember going through the doors out of the room. It was some good stuff is all I can figure. My memories of both surgeries pick up in recovery with somebody gently waking me up.

You will probably have a sore throat when you wake up because once you're under sedation, the anesthesiologist will place a breathing tube down your throat as part of her job. I'm taking some Chloroseptic spray with me this time. That is some instant working stuff, and I'm sure I won't want to be coughing because of a sore throat with my belly freshly worked on.

Best wishes for a boring surgery and an awesome recovery!

Grins,
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:46 AM

Oh, and how long your mom should stay? - As long as she is needed and able to. There's just something about having Mom around that makes it better.

My mom is coming for my surgery, and I don't have anyone but me and my husband to take care of. Well, three cats, but they're pretty much self-sustaining as long as the food & water dishes are full.
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:00 AM

no matter how old one is...Mom makes it all better! I had my Mom stay with me as well and I felt soooo much better just having her there.
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:47 AM

Same! I'm the day after you...best of luck. I am sure we will both be just fine!
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM

It is completely normal to feel anxious. Remember, your medical team is there to take care of you and keep you safe. Everyone you see pre-op will ask you what you are there for. That is actually a safety measure.

I had SAH 12/12/2011. I had a spinal with sedation. The happy juice they gave me right before they wheeled me in was great!

My mom came to take care of me and my family. She has been here helping for almost 4 weeks. We also have lots of food in the freezer for when she leaves.
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I was there almost 4 weeks ago. I couldn't sleep, (thank goodness for Ambien from my Doc), I couldn't eat and I felt like my insides were a giant knot all the time. It's so easy for everyone to say, you'll be fine, stop worrying and I remember getting really mad near the end when people would tell me this. Your worries are real and even though I know the hospital was there to take care of me and wasn't going to let anything bad happen to me, I still think the nervousness was still real and once I learned to accept it and get through this, I knew I would feel better and could handle the other side of surgery. It is much better on the other side of the "castle." Post-pain is very manageable with great meds, and if you have help that first week and remember to rest, rest, rest healing is doable. I wrote about my surgery experience if you want to read it. It's titled, "My Story!! And it's a good one!!!" You can find it under my name. Good luck to you and I look forward to reading your post on the other side of surgery. Big cyber hug to you and keep reading this site. It's what saved my sanity too.
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM

I had my surgery nearly 5 weeks ago and was exactly the same - nervous, worried etc. Of course you are!! I can honestly tell you though that I did not feel any pain at all. The pain management was spot on and at worst all I can say is that I felt a mild discomfort. Communicate to your health professionals how you are feeling - they are used to people being nervous of course!!

Remind yourself of why you are having the surgery and try and keep busy. Good luck and we will see you on the other side of your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register