Ovaries in or out? Omg Help-what is best? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries in or out? Omg Help-what is best? Ovaries in or out? Omg Help-what is best?

Unread 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Ovaries in or out? Omg Help-what is best?

Surgery end of the month, for hyperplasia-doc says precancerous, but very first stage so not a great cancer concern. 2 D&Cs done for heavy bleeding/hyperplasia. He says "take it all out-including ovaries, while he's in there!"
I'm 46 haven't entered menopause, have family history of heart disease, depression, bi-polar, paranoid-sychephrenia-mental issues.
Anyone know pros & cons of leaving ovaries in versus removing, or your experience? Docs "just do it" attitude scares me. He doesn't have to live with the "after" body-I do. Any advise or help is really needed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Re: Ovaries in or out? Omg Help-what is best?

Kerrco, my physician seems to have a very similar attitude. He is concerned that my uterine lining thickening "might" be cancerous, but there have been no test done to confirm that. He figured since I am 42 years old and had a tubal ligation 15 years ago that I don't "need" my parts any more and should just get rid of them all.

It felt to me like he ignored my concerns over a family history of breast cancer and most likely being left in surgical menopause with out the ability to take HRT. His attitude sent me running for a second opinion. I will be consulting with a new OBGYN on Monday. You might want to consider getting a second opinion as well if you feel that taking the time would not adversely affect your health.
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM

I have a chane in insurance (like none!) as of 2/1. Talk about bad timing, so I have to get surgery done and don't have option for 2nd opinion/scheduling of surgery w/new doc. Current doc is older male-seems very set in his ways, which I think is why the just do it attitude.
My mindset is to keep ovaries as it seems ludacriuos to remove and see what happens next, I.e. figure out hormones to stabilize go into change of life. Good luck with your new doc, I'm sure that will help for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM

I decided to go with ovaries out simply because I didn't want to take the chance of getting ovarian cancer later in life. Knowing I could have a surgery to prevent it before it happens sounded better than taking the chance of possibly getting ovarian cancer only to find it at a late stage to where I would have to deal with more surgery, radiation/chemo, and possibly death. From what I have read and heard about is it is that ovarian cancer usually isn't detected till it's is a later stage or too late to really do anything about. There's not real way to test according to my doc.
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Wow, that seemed to be the biggest question around my surgery, too - take out the ovaries or not? My doc started with opinion that we should take everything now while we had the chance.....

I debated a long time on that one.......I finally asked the doc if she could check them while she was in there and if there was any question on their health to remove them. If they appeared in good health, I wanted them to stay. She agreed.

Your doc may want to get it all over with, but if you don't want to take out things that look healthy, let him know. He won't make you take them out if they are healthy - he may not agree with it, but he will support it. I know some women don't want to ever have to think about the possibility of ovarian cancer and are more comfortable with a total solution.

Doc looked at mine while she was in there and they looked totally healthy (just the uterus was FUBARed) so she left them. I still had menopausal issues after surgery (ovaries hadn't "woken up" yet) but very happy with my decision.

Please remember it is YOUR decision.

Best to you,
beingmaxine
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Ok... as someone who has had their uterus removed and left the ovaries. I say take them out.

The reason I say that, because I get to go BACK in for a SECOND surgery at the end of this month to have them removed.

I am so honkerblonkED.

What my first Doc did not mentioned (Because I had the uterus removed because of both Endometriosis and Andomyosis), was that the HORMONES that my OVARIES produce is what causes the Endo to grow.

I am 38 (going on 39) and just after my 37th birthday when I had the first surgery.

I thought, like you... Yes, save the ovaries if you can, regulate hormones, etc...

About a year after my first surgery, I started having issues again. I had the opportunity to get a second opinion and that is when I learned the Endo returned in full force and may actually be worse than before.

I wish the 1st doc mentioned this possibility.

Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one.
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Kerrco,

I'm 47 and had the same question. Thankfully, my doctor didn't pressure me one way or the other. She did tell me that on average between 10% and 15% of women go back later to have them removed.

Here's what I came up with regarding ovaries: Keep the ovaries and there is increased risk of ovarian and breast cancer - remove them and there is increased risk of heart disease and osteoporosis.

Since heart disease and osteoporosis are common in my family and ovarian and breast cancer are rare or non-existent, I decided to keep them - as long as they appeared healthy once she opened me up. I discussed this with my doctor and she agreed that based on family history it would be in my best interest to keep them. She found healthy and happy and they are still churning out the hormones as I type.

Do your research and don't let some doctor pressure you into a decision. I had one like this and he saw his last dollar from me a long time ago.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM

I participated in the study offered on here through the university of California San Francisco. They had me watch a computer decision tool to help me decide the options for my circumstance. Up until that point I hadnt made my decision after the education on the pros and cons for my particular situation I came away feeling positive about my decision. There is a post in the first page of the pre op board looking for participants and the criteria needed to qualify for the study. And you get 80 bucks for doing so!
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Oh Yeah! Tracee - I did that, too. How could I forget?
I thought it was really good, even though I had pretty much made up my mind to keep them at that point. It just reassured me I was making the right decision.
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM

I was actually in the middle of menopause when i had my surgery, but I still decided to keep mine. I was having no issues with them and I just really didn't want to take out healthy organs. I had a long conversation with a close relative who is an ob-gyn and I KNOW he really has my best interest at heart.....he really encouraged me to keep them...just because he said that although they do not provide the kinds of hormones they did prior to menopause, they are still providing "some" hormones. I figured, why upset that applecart if I don't have to.

My doctor wanted me to remove them. I asked her if the only reason to remove them was the possibility of ovarian cancer in the future .....she said "yes" for me that would be the only reason (since I didn't have endo problems like the poster abvove mentioned). I believe that a womans chance for getting ovarian cancer is 1 in 70 over your lifetime. I weighed that risk with things I have read about the benefits of keeping your ovaries, and I made the choice to keep them.

You need to sit down at the computer and do some research...see what the pros and cons are and how they relate to YOUR situation....cause I can almost guarantee you that if you have 100 doctors tell you what you should do, you'll probably get 50 to say take them and 50 to say leave them. The main thing is....don't let the doctor sway you into doing something you don't want to do. Good Luck....in whatever you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register